Author Topic: Annual limits or condition limits? And would anyone like a spreadsheet?  (Read 5270 times)

Offline Lucianne

I'm mired in the hell of picking the right policy for my pup, and have read lots of threads on here. My dilemma is whether it's more sensible to go for an annual limit (ie £7000 per year, whatever happens) or a per condition limit (ie £7000 per condition, however many occur in a year, and however long it takes for the bills to mount up on one condition).

Obviously if lots of different things go wrong within a year, you're better off with a condition limit, but if your dog develops a lifelong condition like diabetes, you're better of with an annual limit, as £7k will get used up fairly fast.

I wonder if anyone has experience of this, and has found one policy type better than the other? I suspect it's a question of luck, according to what, if anything, goes wrong with your pet. Has anyone used up their condition limit and then not been able to get insurance cover for a chronic condition?

Also, I've done a spreadsheet for my own use, comparing 21 policies. Obviously the quotations vary according to location and circumstances (I was all hopeful about greenbee after reading threads on here, but their quotation for me is £30 per month  ph34r ), but what it compares is excess levels, annual or per condition limits, 3rd party liability cover, amount paid in cases of death or loss, whether dentistry, complementary therapies etc are covered, and whether they refund part of your policy fees if your dog dies (not usually!). If anyone would like it, I'm happy to pass it on.

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
  • Butch-my First Cocker Spaniel 18.02.67 - 28.06.75
    • Dylan's Blog
Re: Annual limits or condition limits? And would anyone like a spreadsheet?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 02:11:16 AM »
Yes please. I've pm'd you with email.
Going to be starting this process for our new addition shortly
Pip, Dylan, Charlie, Teagan & Kai
Remembering Butch, Brin, Simba, Toby, Jasper, Jarvis, Jake,  Bayley, Sailor & Foxy - my forever bridge babies

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 08:09:28 AM »
I would be interested too - will pm my email.
Karen
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 08:11:27 AM »
Me too - one of my friends is looking  :D
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 08:26:19 AM »
Have also sent PM with email address - having had a policy more than double on renewal time time I think to shop around!

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 08:44:09 AM »
Oooo, yes please, I would love to see it.  I am with Argos at the moment as they seemed the best when I renewed a couple of years ago - I haven't claimed from them though so have no idea what they are like if you claim.  :-\  I changed from Tesco then because they had a time limit on each condition ie they would only pay out for the first year and like you I was concerned about the possibility of a long term condition  ::)

Will pm you my e-mail.  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 08:52:37 AM »
My two girls are with Sainsburys.
I have the policy that covers for life.  It includes necessary vet prescribed diets, return of purchase price if dog dies before 8 and also cremation costs (sorry to be morbid). :'(
This year the premium actually came down - I got first 3 months free  :D
My previous policy with Pet Plan did not include the above benefits and was more expensive. :o
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 09:57:07 AM »
Annual limit is better than condition limit as this will cover any unexpected lifetime illnesses that need prolonged or lifetime treatment, our lifetime cover with Axa is currently £17 per month which was a reduction on first year but I don't know what future years could look like.  Whilst it is rare to exceed condition based insurance it can happen -   
I was speaking with someone a couple of weeks ago whose dog was diagnosed with AIHA unexpectadly at 3 years old and 18 months after lifetime treatment has begun their generous condition based insurance is nearly used.

Check with vets for recommendations as well as they do change recommendations as policies terms are updated, we are fortunate that our vets employ a financial person who is qualified to give advice on insurance, if anyone would like their latest recommendations let me know and I will see if they have a current sheet when I am in on Saturday.

Offline Lucianne

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 01:21:18 PM »
To all those who'd like the spreadsheet - just to let you know I'm going away for the night, but will email it out when I get back tomorrow. Remember though that the premiums quoted will be totally different for you (based on location and age of dog, apparently), but obviously the terms of the insurance will be the same.

Happy New Year!  :D

Offline Lucianne

Happy New Year!  :lol2:

I've emailed you all the spreadsheet. Let me know if you haven't received it.

Thanks to those of you who replied with info re limits.

Offline Lucianne

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 02:22:38 PM »
Annual limit is better than condition limit as this will cover any unexpected lifetime illnesses that need prolonged or lifetime treatment, our lifetime cover with Axa is currently £17 per month which was a reduction on first year but I don't know what future years could look like.  Whilst it is rare to exceed condition based insurance it can happen -   
I was speaking with someone a couple of weeks ago whose dog was diagnosed with AIHA unexpectadly at 3 years old and 18 months after lifetime treatment has begun their generous condition based insurance is nearly used.

Check with vets for recommendations as well as they do change recommendations as policies terms are updated, we are fortunate that our vets employ a financial person who is qualified to give advice on insurance, if anyone would like their latest recommendations let me know and I will see if they have a current sheet when I am in on Saturday.

Thanks for this; on balance, I've decided to go with an annual limit for the reasons you've discussed. I almost went with M&S at twenty odd quid a month, but have read some appalling reviews, and experiences on here of premium hikes. I think I'm going to go with Crufts, which is underwritten by Agria who do the KC one. It's the same T&Cs as KC, just slightly lower limits (1m public liability, 1k death/loss). The difference is that it's £7.5k annual limit, rather than £10k per condition limit for KC. The only thing I don't like is that the excess is £50 +10%  >:(  It's the cheapest quote for me though, at £13 pm.

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 02:44:58 PM »
Not heard of them but do check on year 2 costs if you can... a lot of insurers do tempt in with low first year and big jumps in second year, problem is once you have a known condition no other insurer will normally cover it so you do need to try and get it right first time.

Offline Lucianne

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 04:38:26 PM »
Not heard of them but do check on year 2 costs if you can... a lot of insurers do tempt in with low first year and big jumps in second year, problem is once you have a known condition no other insurer will normally cover it so you do need to try and get it right first time.

Is there any way I can check on the 2nd year costs?? I can't imagine the insurers are going to be very forthcoming....'yes madam, in the first year it will be £13 pm, but we plan to hike that as soon as we have you over a barrel...'  :005:  :005:

I've read horror stories about premium hikes from most of them - I think it's a huge gamble with any of them. I was going to go with M&S but as I said, people's experiences don't seem very good. The cover for Crufts is ideal, it's the +10% I'm not happy with. But as I found out with my mammoth spreadsheet   ph34r there are drawbacks with all of them. Any advice very welcome!

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 04:50:46 PM »
Have sent  pm with email address thank you
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline Lucianne

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 05:24:53 PM »
On its way Ian  ;)