Author Topic: Insurance Help. So many choices  (Read 2500 times)

Offline annie10

• Limited Member
Insurance Help. So many choices
« on: January 04, 2011, 03:51:27 PM »
I need some help as Ive been looking at getting the new cocker insured and my head's about to explode.

i don't want the cheapest premium just very good reliable cover.

there are limits per yr/ per lifetime etc. some wont cover the same illness for more than a yr or until the limit is reached and then wont cover that illness even if it recurs a yr later.
can someone tell me what i need to look at as it's all very confusing. an

Offline mooching

Re: Insurance Help. So many choices
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
Whichever company you go for, definitely go for Lifetime Cover, otherwise you could end up finding yourself very stuck.

Is it at all important to you that your vet will deal with the insurance company directly (ie they send off the claim and the insurance company pays them directly), or are you ok with paying the vet's bill yourself first then claiming it back?

Offline patch

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 05:17:50 PM »
Milo is with JBI Insurance as that was one of the very few that covered us while living in Belgium.I made my first claim just before christmas when Milo had gastroenteritis and I have to say even though the policy is in my husbands name and he is out the country for 4 months with work they dealt with me fine and were extremely helpful.Milo has the top premium cover for life, and it also covers you for behviour probs etc.Would definetly recommend them.

Offline annie10

• Limited Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 05:10:43 PM »
after LOTS of reading and form filling it looks like I've got my head around pet insurance policies.
i need a lifetime policy but not sure of which amount. i guess between 5-10 thousand pounds.

The best quote I've had is 18pm for lifetime cover and a max of £10k per year. I've lost the email so i cant remember what company it was but the do a flat rate for dogs no matter age or breed.

does anyone know any better companies.

Offline mooching

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 05:12:55 PM »
Is it at all important to you that your vet will deal with the insurance company directly (ie they send off the claim and the insurance company pays them directly), or are you ok with paying the vet's bill yourself first then claiming it back?

For us, when faced with a bill of over £3,000 for my Cavi's hospital stay, I was really glad that we were with an insurance company that the vets would deal with directly!

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »
after LOTS of reading and form filling it looks like I've got my head around pet insurance policies.
i need a lifetime policy but not sure of which amount. i guess between 5-10 thousand pounds.

The best quote I've had is 18pm for lifetime cover and a max of £10k per year. I've lost the email so i cant remember what company it was but the do a flat rate for dogs no matter age or breed.

does anyone know any better companies.

Argos Platinum- Lifetime cover, £7000 p/a and £13 a month (Annie) £14 a month (Jeff) after renewal.

Had two claims for Jeff last year amounting to over £1000 and both paid within one week.

Offline annie10

• Limited Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 05:40:17 PM »
argos platinum are 20pm so reasonable i think.
do they deal direct with the vet or maybe id be better going to a vet localy and asking them if the deal direct with any companies because i dont like the idea of paying out several thousand pounds and waiting for months for it to be paid back.

Offline annie10

• Limited Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 05:45:57 PM »
just had a quoute for 20pm for john lewis partnership and they do a lifetime cover max 10k per year.

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 05:50:54 PM »
do they deal direct with the vet or maybe id be better going to a vet localy and asking them if the deal direct with any companies because i dont like the idea of paying out several thousand pounds and waiting for months for it to be paid back.

Yes  :blink: I think all insurance companies do (and would prefer to as fraud is much less likely) - it's the vets that sometimes don't.

Offline mooching

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 05:53:25 PM »

annie10

Insurance companies are happy to deal direct, but vets aren't alwats happy to deal direct with insurance companies.

My vet will ONLY deal direct with PetPlan; same with the cardiologist that my Cavi saw.

You would do best to go to your own vet and ask them with which companies they deal direct, or, if you haven't registered with one yet, you could ask around all the local vets about it, and their answers may help you make up your mind which one to register with.

Offline annie10

• Limited Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 05:58:44 PM »

i think I'll go to a few vets and see what they recommend

Offline mooching

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 06:16:23 PM »
Are you not already registered with a vet for your labrador?

Offline annie10

• Limited Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 06:31:15 PM »
our old vet for the lab is about 30 miles awaywhere we used to live but he's due a check up soon so will find a vet localy.