Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 2031 times)

Offline jack_morris

Insurance
« on: May 29, 2012, 01:54:20 PM »
Hello all

When I picked up Jack, from Petplan I have received 4 weeks free insurance. I have just phoned them and got a quote for covered for life classic policy and it works out £26 ish a month. It seems like a really good policy but just wanted to ask you guys if you had any thoughts on insurance and who your dogs are insured through? The breeder said that Petplan were good. Any thoughts?

Steve  :D

Offline abkb

• Donator
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 02:08:13 PM »
Have a look here on the insurance section of the forum;

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?board=153.0

Petplan are good but also one of the most expensive.  I have Molly with Sainsburys's; claimed once and got a cheque through a couple of weeks later.  I pay £12 a month.  I think John Lewis/Argos are good too (but that's off the top of my head, no experience with them).  

Big big big tip- get lifetime cover NOT annual cover.  Also look on quidco for offers.
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline jack_morris

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 02:11:48 PM »
Sorry I was totally unaware of that section on the forum...I will have a look. Thanks for the advice, will look on Quidco now, I have never heard of it before.

Steve  :D

Offline bec1970

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 09:48:38 PM »
Hi

We got Winnie 3 weeks ago & I spent hours searching for the best deal, we ended up going with John Lewis which worked out about £15 per month.  That gives £7500 of cover & it is a lifetime policy.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 10:36:40 AM »
We too are with John Lewis, fees up to £10,000 per year , We pay £16.82 per month.

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 10:45:01 AM »
I am with pet plan and have been for over 15 years .... with out any problems
just remember that old saying ''you only get what you pay for''

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 11:00:21 AM »
Just wanted to reiterate the importance of a Lifetime policy.  I'm with Argos (Platinum cover) and I'm so glad I didn't change to a cheaper one as Odie was diagnosed with Addison's Disease - completely out of blue, in March this year (he's only 2.5 yrs old).  The cheaper policies would have paid out for the 1st year then nothing.  Of course, I'm now at the mercy of Argos each year (dread to think what they'll charge me next year ph34r) but if I change, it's a pre-existing condition and not covered so think very carefully and choose the best cover you can afford/suits your needs.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Nobbie

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 11:07:57 AM »
Which? score Petplan Classic at 69% against the highest score of 89% for John Lewis which was marginally cheaper for pedigree dogs.

Offline jack_morris

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 08:27:41 PM »
Hi

We got Winnie 3 weeks ago & I spent hours searching for the best deal, we ended up going with John Lewis which worked out about £15 per month.  That gives £7500 of cover & it is a lifetime policy.

I will look into John Lewis, I have heard from a couple of other people they are good.  :D

Offline jack_morris

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 08:29:56 PM »
Which? score Petplan Classic at 69% against the highest score of 89% for John Lewis which was marginally cheaper for pedigree dogs.

I have gone with covered for life classic policy with vets bills upto £7000 a year...I think what that quoted me of £26.82 is a bit pricey. I may well shop around.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 10:07:37 PM »
I'm with Argos. Platinum (lifetime) cover is just under £19 a month. I was really surprised that they paid up, without any quibbles, £450 for the complications following Archie's castration. Given that the surgery was elective I was fully expecting not to be covered. They've paid me about 4 times what I've paid them! Next years fee will no doubt be a bit higher!