Author Topic: Cocker(s) wanted for Loving Home  (Read 6007 times)

Offline Janet

• Site Member
Cocker(s) wanted for Loving Home
« on: October 16, 2003, 04:23:35 PM »
My husband and I have recently had to say goodbye to our beloved orange roan cocker, Barley.  We miss her desparately and still cannot believe she's gone.  It all happened within a week, following kidney failure.  I had been touring websites, just enjoying looking at other cockers, when I came across a Link to your website.  It was lovely reading all the entries and knowing there are lots of fellow 'cocker mad' people out there.

Barley was our second cocker, we had Honey (a golden cocker) for an incredible 17 years, so we've had a cocker in the house for 22 years.  Thankfully, when we lost Honey we still had Barley so the house wasn't quite so empty.  Now Barley has gone we are finding it very hard to come to terms with the loss and are desparate to have that 'cocker feeling' in the home again.  Barley was always with me, whether I was in the kitchen cooking (she loved her food!), sitting watching TV, with her sprawled across me, or, curled up next to us on  our bed during a weekend 'lie in'.  You never had to look for Barley she was always there and always happy to be around you.  Her tail never stopped!!!!We miss her terribly.

We are both in our 50's and live in Bristol.  We have a semi detached house with a very large garden.  We both work full time.  However, my husband is a shift worker and is more often home than not.  He also has 2 weeks leave every 8 weeks (lucky or what?).  I work Flexi-time and start early (by choice) 7.30 and equally finish early 3pm, with the added bonus of flexibility of taking half days (morning or afternoon) when I like.  We have a cat, who is used to cockers and their ways!

We are very interested in any information regarding giving a home to any unwanted cocker(s) and saw your entries in July and August about several pairs of dogs needing new homes.  I'm sure these have all found new homes, but any new information would be wonderful.

This is posted with permission from Admin.                    
Janet

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 04:42:17 PM »
Hello Janet

So sorry to hear you have lost Barley - having recently lost 2 much loved Cockers myself I know exactly what you are going through :( Have you tried contacting Cynthia White who does Cocker Rescue for the South (01929 552863)? She will try to help you if she can. I haven't heard anything more about those pairs of Cockers needing homes in the SE - they were featured on www.dogpages.org.uk so its worth having a look at this site.

Good luck & I do hope you find another Cocker (or Cockers) to love very soon

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Janet

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 05:20:44 PM »
Thanks for replying Jane.  I must admit to feeling a bit happier since writing.  It is very difficult to actually talk about loosing Barley without getting upset, so writing in this way does help, especially when I know others feel just as bad.  As a friend, who is also a dog lover said, eventually all the happy memories will overcome the sadness that I feel at the moment.  

Thanks for the information relating to Cynthia White, whom I will contact later, when I feel strong enough to actually talk about my situation.                    
Janet

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 06:37:15 PM »
Hi  Janet, i,m so sorry to hear you have lost your girl Barley  :(
 it will get easier as time passes. good luck in your search for a new  cocker. :)                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Christine

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 08:38:02 PM »
I have yet to experience the loss of a dog, Jasper being our first dog and only beng 10 months hopefully I wont for a while yet, however I read this and just wanted to say I am so sorry for your loss, please post some photo's of them as I would love to see them.

I hope you find your new cocker soon ;D                    
Jaspers mummy :)

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 08:57:34 PM »
Hi Janet,

I'm so sorry to hear about your lovely girl Barley :'(  I thought your post was lovely straight from the heart, you so obviously adore your cockers.  I hope you are able to find a friend soon, I know there is a doggie out there somewhere that is just waiting to be loved and cherished by you and your hubbie :)   Please do keep us informed on how things are going, I have suffered losing dogs too, so I do know how you feel, it is so very difficult to even put it into words ???

Good luck and big hugs to you both :)

Emma and Indie                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2003, 01:26:52 AM »
Or I guess as Wales isn't too far away then there's always:

Angie Jones Tel: 01974 831511

Its Mid Wales as there doesn't appear to be anyone for South Wales anymore.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2003, 09:53:41 AM »
Its Mid Wales as there doesn't appear to be anyone for South Wales anymore.

No the representative for S Wales died last year but I think Angie Jones is now covering her patch.                    
Jane

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2003, 07:04:31 PM »
I guess that's what must have happened (but didn't like to say; my breeder had told me she had cancer). :(                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!