CockersOnline Forum

Cocker Specific Discussion => Grooming => Topic started by: chrisp on February 13, 2013, 08:32:07 PM

Title: Nail Clippers etc
Post by: chrisp on February 13, 2013, 08:32:07 PM
Hello

Could someone recommend nail clippers etc which I can use to trim Mollies dew claws please?  I know there are a few types but not sure which ones are the easiest/safest to use?

Thank you.
Title: Re: Nail Clippers etc
Post by: elaine.e on February 13, 2013, 09:13:42 PM
I have guillotine nail clippers but using them frightens the life out of me in case I cut to the quick (literally). I have a styptic pencil to stop any bleeding if that happens but I still find it really scary.

Sorry, that's not much of a recommendation, is it :P
Title: Re: Nail Clippers etc
Post by: Abbi on February 13, 2013, 10:34:18 PM
I use the guillotine type too as have found as they get older their claws get thicker and the scissor type just don't do the job. I try to take a little off at a time as frightened of getting the quick. Having said that its easier said than done if your dog won't keep still! (Hence why I'm getting the vet to give Darcie's a good trim while she's being spayed on Friday!)

Our vet nurse will always do their claws for a small donation to one of the animal charities that they support, so if you're unsure pop Mollie along to your vet and I'm sure they'll help you.
Title: Re: Nail Clippers etc
Post by: Countrygirl on February 13, 2013, 10:46:45 PM
I have guillotine nail clippers but using them frightens the life out of me in case I cut to the quick (literally). I have a styptic pencil to stop any bleeding if that happens but I still find it really scary.

Sorry, that's not much of a recommendation, is it :P
n

I'm just the same.  Having cut the quick before and then having to deal with a screaming spaniel and profuse bleeding, I now prefer to pay the experts to do it.
Title: Re: Nail Clippers etc
Post by: 8 Hairy Feet on February 14, 2013, 08:56:28 AM
yes not a job for the
faint-hearted!
me too leaving it with
the professionals :blink:
steffxxx
Title: Re: Nail Clippers etc
Post by: chrisp on February 14, 2013, 05:00:57 PM
Thanks for the replies - had not heard of a 'styptic' pencil before either.

Saw the gullotine ones and the scissor ones but wasn't sure which to get.