CockersOnline Forum

Cocker Specific Discussion => Feeding => Topic started by: HBP on November 13, 2013, 01:27:56 PM

Title: A truly grisly parcel!
Post by: HBP on November 13, 2013, 01:27:56 PM
Hudson's box of "delights" arrived from zooplus this morning...  :020: Cows ears, bull pizzle, hooves... Felt like Dr Death opening that lot! Yak. Hudson seems to approve though, has been happily chomping away on a pizzle stick for half an hour at least... (it stinks though!  ph34r) Peace at last!

What are these things like nutrition wise?  Should I be cutting down his normal food slightly to accommodate for them?
Title: Re: A truly grisly parcel!
Post by: Birdy on November 13, 2013, 02:15:50 PM
Sounds delightful  :lol2:
Title: Re: A truly grisly parcel!
Post by: HBP on November 13, 2013, 03:58:22 PM
I know... The things we do for (puppy) love...
Title: Re: A truly grisly parcel!
Post by: HBP on November 13, 2013, 04:30:00 PM
Well, he started pizzleing at 12.30 - had an hour's break for walking - just finished it now. Crashed out by the fire!
Title: Re: A truly grisly parcel!
Post by: elaine.e on November 13, 2013, 04:52:52 PM
Well, he started pizzleing at 12.30 - had an hour's break for walking - just finished it now. Crashed out by the fire!

My 2 adult Cockers sometimes get a bit of an upset tum after bull pizzle. Letting you know just in case, but hopefully Hudson will be fine.

Mine have cow ears as well, but as the cow ears are quite big I often cut them in half (garden secateurs or poultry shears work well) so I don't give them too much in one go.
Title: Re: A truly grisly parcel!
Post by: woollypigs on November 13, 2013, 05:18:53 PM
I was recently reading about a Canadian Veterinary Journal study which looked at the calorific density of bully sticks (pizzle). This article about the research is worth a look, though the researchers do admit that the survey sample was small: http://now.tufts.edu/news-releases/misconceptions-about-popular-pet-treat
Title: Re: A truly grisly parcel!
Post by: HBP on November 13, 2013, 05:56:37 PM
Well, he started pizzleing at 12.30 - had an hour's break for walking - just finished it now. Crashed out by the fire!

My 2 adult Cockers sometimes get a bit of an upset tum after bull pizzle. Letting you know just in case, but hopefully Hudson will be fine.

Mine have cow ears as well, but as the cow ears are quite big I often cut them in half (garden secateurs or poultry shears work well) so I don't give them too much in one go.

The cow ears are huge- good idea thank you! Glad I got a smaller pack! Should hopefully last for teething and beyond. Will keep an eye on him, thanks Elaine. I had read they were okay for sensitive tums but I guess you never can tell with pups.
Title: Re: A truly grisly parcel!
Post by: HBP on November 13, 2013, 05:58:26 PM
I was recently reading about a Canadian Veterinary Journal study which looked at the calorific density of bully sticks (pizzle). This article about the research is worth a look, though the researchers do admit that the survey sample was small: http://now.tufts.edu/news-releases/misconceptions-about-popular-pet-treat

Will have a look, thanks!
Title: Re: A truly grisly parcel!
Post by: piph on November 14, 2013, 03:26:02 PM
Well, he started pizzleing at 12.30 - had an hour's break for walking - just finished it now. Crashed out by the fire!

My 2 adult Cockers sometimes get a bit of an upset tum after bull pizzle. Letting you know just in case, but hopefully Hudson will be fine.

Mine have cow ears as well, but as the cow ears are quite big I often cut them in half (garden secateurs or poultry shears work well) so I don't give them too much in one go.

The cow ears are huge- good idea thank you! Glad I got a smaller pack! Should hopefully last for teething and beyond. Will keep an eye on him, thanks Elaine. I had read they were okay for sensitive tums but I guess you never can tell with pups.

Cows ears are Ozzy's favourite treat - I save them for special occasions when I need him to be especially good, but one doesn't last for more than about 20 minutes.  I've never adjusted his food when he's had one, and he's never shown any adverse effects from eating a whole one.
Title: Re: A truly grisly parcel!
Post by: Neon on November 14, 2013, 05:48:37 PM
Toby has the cow's ears too, they are completely natural and none fattening.  I cut off the pointed bits with scissors and he chomps away.  I don't let him eat a whole one though, they are way too big so I do a trade with him to get it off him. 
Title: Re: A truly grisly parcel!
Post by: piph on November 15, 2013, 02:59:52 PM
Toby has the cow's ears too, they are completely natural and none fattening.  I cut off the pointed bits with scissors and he chomps away.  I don't let him eat a whole one though, they are way too big so I do a trade with him to get it off him. 

I don't think I could produce anything that Ozzy would trade for a half eaten cow's ear - nothing else is THAT good!!! :005:
Title: Re: A truly grisly parcel!
Post by: elaine.e on November 15, 2013, 04:10:16 PM
Toby has the cow's ears too, they are completely natural and none fattening.  I cut off the pointed bits with scissors and he chomps away.  I don't let him eat a whole one though, they are way too big so I do a trade with him to get it off him. 

I cut them in half with my garden secateurs or poultry shears, trim off any sharp points, then William and Louis have half each. I recently spent half an hour or so going through a whole bag of Zooplus cow ears cutting them all in half :005:
Title: Re: A truly grisly parcel!
Post by: Neon on November 15, 2013, 05:18:51 PM
I prefer to give him a whole ear rather than cut it in half because I have this massive fear of him choking, so my theory is the bigger it is, the safer it is, until it gets to the size where it fits in his mouth, then the trade comes in.

Pip, I can usually get him to do a trade with a gravy bone.  ;)
Title: Re: A truly grisly parcel!
Post by: Toni-UK on November 15, 2013, 07:53:12 PM
I love getting a Zooplus box full of stinking dismembered body parts  :020:

As soon as it's delivered Ruby goes bonkers hopping up and down at the kitchen worktop as we sort through.
She has whole cow ears and pizzle with no tummy probs and she hasn't got the strongest of stomachs.Her favourite is the tripe and the Dorkas fish treats with a bit of chicken wrapped around.
Sometimes we have the pig spaghetti (intestine) which we cut into tiny pieces for training treats.

I did get up one morning to find a 2 inch piece of pizzle regurgitated on the landing which was worrying as she does chew that last bit for a while but obviously not for long enough  :-\

Regarding weight i think it's just giving them these types of treats in moderation.Ruby will have an ear or pizzle stick around 2-3 times per week but will have a dried tripe stick every day as they are smaller.
Title: Re: A truly grisly parcel!
Post by: HBP on November 15, 2013, 09:04:16 PM
Pig spaghetti sounds truly vile!! No tummy trouble from Wednesday's pizzle thankfully. Think I might try hacking up my cows ears to try him on tomorrow, since it's the weekend and all! ;)
Title: Re: A truly grisly parcel!
Post by: elaine.e on November 15, 2013, 10:54:40 PM
I prefer to give him a whole ear rather than cut it in half because I have this massive fear of him choking, so my theory is the bigger it is, the safer it is, until it gets to the size where it fits in his mouth, then the trade comes in.


I can understand that :blink:. Mine chew pigs ears carefully, but I wouldn't cut pizzle sticks to a smaller size and don't let them eat all of it for that reason.

Mine also have dried chicken feet and love crunching them up.
Title: Re: A truly grisly parcel!
Post by: HBP on November 16, 2013, 05:24:08 PM
First cow ear done! Didn't last half as long as the pizzle but infinitely less stinky...

Made me laugh how even though I am sure he has never seen one in his life before he knew instantly it was a treat for him! As soon as I got it out he sat down on his bottom, still as a statue, staring up at it!!  :luv:
Title: Re: A truly grisly parcel!
Post by: Neon on November 16, 2013, 06:11:50 PM
Mine also have dried chicken feet and love crunching them up.

Where do you get those from elaine, Toby loves a good crunch.