CockersOnline Forum
Cocker Specific Discussion => Feeding => Topic started by: piph on November 16, 2013, 12:50:26 PM
-
A few days ago we decided to give up on trying to keep Ozzy on Eden and went and bought some Wainwrights - he's been having it mixed with the Eden now for a few days, and already his poohs are more solid, and he seems less hungry, and he's only on half and half at the moment. Very sad :'( that we couldn't get the Eden to suit him as I know it's such a good food but we couldn't carry on like we were. I would never knock Eden though, but it just obviously wasn't right for Ozzy, and I think 8 months is a long enough trial.
-
It's tricky when a food is great but just doesn't suit but it's good that you have found something that is working for him. Long may it continue. :D
-
We are looking at changing Jarvis' food as he has been itchy since on it & trying to rule out recent changes
Hope Ozzy continues to improve
-
You were very patient Pip but Im really glad that ozzy is doing better. You have to do what suits your own dog.
He wasnt even having very much eden either but more = worse poo,s
Hope he continues to do well on wainwrights.
-
No matter how good a food, if it doesn't agree then it doesn't agree. Hope he enjoys his new food
-
I was in Robertsons Pet Shop in Newcastle the other day taking to the owner about Eden, I was quite shocked when he told me that it's made by a third party (sorry can't remember the name) as he wanted to stock it. Eden couldn't gaurantee certain requests by Robertsons so he backed out.
-
I was in Robertsons Pet Shop in Newcastle the other day taking to the owner about Eden, I was quite shocked when he told me that it's made by a third party (sorry can't remember the name) as he wanted to stock it. Eden couldn't gaurantee certain requests by Robertsons so he backed out.
What requests was this ? maybe that the price wouldnt be increased?
made by a third party? surely they dont think that the owners of eden stand in their kitchen and make it?
Eden isnt yet available in any shops yet till next year. Not really able to back up his information me thinks this guy at Robertsons :-\
-
The third party thing ties in with something I read on one of the raw feeding forums on Facebook a day or so ago. I'll try and find it again and ask the person who posted it, but it was something along the lines of a lot of the branded kibbles, including Eden, which was mentioned specifically, are made either by one big manufacturer, or are all processed at the same place. I'll see if I can find anything more from the person who posted.
It isn't necessarily a bad thing though :blink:
-
I do know its made at the largest processing factory in Europe, I actually read this from eden themselves.
-
I do know its made at the largest processing factory in Europe, I actually read this from eden themselves.
That's probably what the person on Facebook meant then, although he/she didn't make it clear. The plant probably has lots of production lines for lots of unrelated dog food companies.
-
I do know its made at the largest processing factory in Europe, I actually read this from eden themselves.
That's probably what the person on Facebook meant then, although he/she didn't make it clear. The plant probably has lots of production lines for lots of unrelated dog food companies.
Thats likely what is its elaine.
What really matters is anyone independantly testing the product can validate what the authenticity is , which eden is and has been extensively tested.
-
Agree it certainly doesn't really matter, but it would be nice if there was a bit clarity. I have not seen anything on the Eden web site that says where it's actually made. The web site indicates that it's made by them, certainly to me anyway.
-
Feeling curious about this, not least because there are so many brands of dog and cat food in the UK that I don't see how they can all have their own manufacturing plants. So I did a quick internet search and came up with this company in Lancashire http://www.goldenacres.co.uk/.
They don't say which foods are made there, but I read on another website that JWB and Nutrix are amongst the many brands produced there.
We seem to have hijacked your thread piph, so apologies for that. Hope Ozzy thrives on his new food :D
-
I was in Robertsons Pet Shop in Newcastle the other day taking to the owner about Eden, I was quite shocked when he told me that it's made by a third party (sorry can't remember the name) as he wanted to stock it. Eden couldn't gaurantee certain requests by Robertsons so he backed out.
What requests was this ? maybe that the price wouldnt be increased?
made by a third party? surely they dont think that the owners of eden stand in their kitchen and make it?
Eden isnt yet available in any shops yet till next year. Not really able to back up his information me thinks this guy at Robertsons :-\
Eden is already available in some shops. I checked because I thought I saw it in Totnes (well known round here for its alternative, green, healthy hippy lifestyle, so not surprised it is there already!) and you had me doubting my sanity!!
http://www.uk.edenpetfoods.com/retailers-13-w.asp
Sorry, Piph, back to the thread..... ;) Have you seen the grain free wainwrights? It's on special introductory offer at the moment. I think £5 for a bag.
-
Don't worry about hijacking the thread, it's all very interesting! Of course Eden obviously use a third party, as some else said, they don't stand in the kitchen and cook it up themselves!! But it will be to their specific recipe, in the same way that lots of our food is produced, where factories make different brands of, say, pies, to different recipes.
Anyway, back to the subject - Ozzy seems to be doing well on half Wainwrights and half Eden - we'll mix the rest up and he'll probably be fully on Wainwrights by the end of next week. Will keep you posted.
-
I was in Robertsons Pet Shop in Newcastle the other day taking to the owner about Eden, I was quite shocked when he told me that it's made by a third party (sorry can't remember the name) as he wanted to stock it. Eden couldn't gaurantee certain requests by Robertsons so he backed out.
What requests was this ? maybe that the price wouldnt be increased?
made by a third party? surely they dont think that the owners of eden stand in their kitchen and make it?
Eden isnt yet available in any shops yet till next year. Not really able to back up his information me thinks this guy at Robertsons :-\
The owner didn't elaborate on what his requests were, I was only in getting a few treats but clearly he had concerns over Eden. I will be calling in later this week I shall endeavour to find out his reasons for not stocking Eden.
From the Eden web site "Eden Holistic Pet Foods are an independent family owned company based in the rural countryside of Staffordshire. The company was formed in 2011 with the aim of producing foods which supported the health and vitality of our own animals and has grown and flourished into the small business we have today."
To me that does suggest that they indeed produce/make their own food. It certainly doesn't say, we get someone else to make our food and we stick our logo on and sell it.
But that's what they aparently do. And they certainly won't be the first company to do so.
Jane Eden as you know works well for your dog, but not for mine.
-
When you say "make their food" it doesnt matter who produces it, its produced to edens recipe.
Its like say unbranded foods in supermarkets saying "we have a morrisons factory that produce all own branded morrisons food"
Or asda factory making asda crisps.
They are all made in a general producing plant but to each their own ingredients and recipe.
Eden is clearly labelled and tested and that is all that matters.
They have thousands of customers now and obviously have grown and grown now they are exporting food to other countries in the world, its only natural they have to branch out into bigger things.
Im sure you do know at the end of the day its a superb food but just doesnt suit harry or some others, thats not to say there is anything wrong with either the food or the dog.
-
I posted about the Eden being made at Golden Acres which apparently makes all the kibbles (apart from Millies Wolfheart) even one that says it comes from overseas. The company sends the packaging to GA and they make the food as it is more economically viable for them.
If you have a look at the site it gives a little more information.
http://www.goldenacres.co.uk/dog-food-and-treats
-
Eden recently did say that their food is made at the largest production centre in europe. Absolutely true.