CockersOnline Forum

Cocker Specific Discussion => Feeding => Topic started by: Maisydaisy on November 25, 2013, 06:08:21 PM

Title: Just given Stanley his first chicken drumstick
Post by: Maisydaisy on November 25, 2013, 06:08:21 PM
...and I don't think I've ever seen a cocker spaniel so happy!

We've been raw feeding him for a week, using NI to start with as it's nice and convenient, however we want to start doing more DIY, so got him some chicken drumsticks. He shot outside and immediately got to work, demolishing the entire thing in minutes, all the while wagging his tail (and bum!) in utter delight!  :luv: :luv:

Can't wait to try him with other meaty bones - although having looked at some suppliers websites, I think I draw the line at whole lamb's heads  :005:
Title: Re: Just given Stanley his first chicken drumstick
Post by: Fluff on November 25, 2013, 06:10:33 PM
Woo, go Stanley!

When Daisy got her first chicken wing she spent about 30 mins chucking it around the room and chasing it before eventually eating it  :005:
Title: Re: Just given Stanley his first chicken drumstick
Post by: Archie bean on November 25, 2013, 06:25:30 PM
Are drumsticks OK? I give Archie the odd wing to help clean his teeth but I've always been dubious that a drumstick might break into quite sharp pieces. Good to know if they are fine as I'm not a fan so he could have them when I have a roast (cut off and given before I cook the rest of it of course!)
Title: Re: Just given Stanley his first chicken drumstick
Post by: Maisydaisy on November 25, 2013, 06:30:38 PM
Are drumsticks OK? I give Archie the odd wing to help clean his teeth but I've always been dubious that a drumstick might break into quite sharp pieces. Good to know if they are fine as I'm not a fan so he could have them when I have a roast (cut off and given before I cook the rest of it of course!)

Emma I'm a member of a raw feeding group on FB and the general consensus is that drumsticks/thighs are fine, as long as they're not cooked. It was pretty nerve wracking watching him crunch through the bone though!
Title: Re: Just given Stanley his first chicken drumstick
Post by: Archie bean on November 25, 2013, 07:00:00 PM
Are drumsticks OK? I give Archie the odd wing to help clean his teeth but I've always been dubious that a drumstick might break into quite sharp pieces. Good to know if they are fine as I'm not a fan so he could have them when I have a roast (cut off and given before I cook the rest of it of course!)

Emma I'm a member of a raw feeding group on FB and the general consensus is that drumsticks/thighs are fine, as long as they're not cooked. It was pretty nerve wracking watching him crunch through the bone though!

Excellent, thanks for that. Guess who's going to be a lucky boy on Sunday!  ;)
Title: Re: Just given Stanley his first chicken drumstick
Post by: Jessie_Pup on November 25, 2013, 07:40:49 PM

When you start raw it is better to leave a good few weeks before starting bones as the stomach acids have to change and build up.  I introduced different proteins before introducing bones  then raw fish and then some offal. I took it very slowly.  Tonight they have had the NI chicken and lamb and some chicken wing tips. I am not feeding any weight bearing bones. They have wings, duck necks, lamb ribs and spines.
Erica.
Title: Re: Just given Stanley his first chicken drumstick
Post by: elaine.e on November 25, 2013, 07:47:48 PM
Nice to hear that he enjoyed it :D

Will you be making his next meal a boneless one? Most of the NI minces have bone in them, so if he had NI bone in mince this morning and a chicken drumstick tonight don't be surprised if he's a bit constipated tomorrow and maybe think of giving him some plain chicken for breakfast.

I did the same as Erica (Jessie_Pup) and stuck to one protein source initially and, apart from minces with bone in, didn't introduce bones for the first couple of weeks. I still have to be careful with bones because William is a bone gulper and can't tolerate much bone in his diet without becoming constipated, whereas Louis is a careful chewer and can tolerate more bone.

Mine had NI beef mince tonight with half a trout fillet to chew on!
Title: Re: Just given Stanley his first chicken drumstick
Post by: Maisydaisy on November 25, 2013, 07:51:56 PM
He's having NI tripe for breakfast tomorrow  :D. I've put the rest of the drumsticks in the freezer, so I'll hold off feeding him any more for a couple of weeks. It's all a bit scary, this raw feeding lark!  ;)
Title: Re: Just given Stanley his first chicken drumstick
Post by: Jessie_Pup on November 25, 2013, 07:59:41 PM


He should be fine if he is having tripe for the next meal. Or I sometimes use the W/D Tripe and Chicken or turkey, as it has less bone in.  I give mine raw sprats and chop them up and mix them with the tripe. You could try that in a week or too. If you chop them and mix with the tripe there is less chance them coming back up again.  I freeze them first .

Erica.
Title: Re: Just given Stanley his first chicken drumstick
Post by: elaine.e on November 25, 2013, 08:15:42 PM
He's having NI tripe for breakfast tomorrow  :D. I've put the rest of the drumsticks in the freezer, so I'll hold off feeding him any more for a couple of weeks. It's all a bit scary, this raw feeding lark!  ;)

It's definitely scary at first, especially the sound they make when crunching up bones :o

But once you've done it for a while and you become aware what suits your dog best it's fun selecting what to feed and being able to give them a variety of tastes and textures. Beware of sprats though, excellent oily fish to feed but neither of mine can cope with a whole meal of them, or they reappear  :020: so I do the same as Erica and chop them and mix them in with something else.