CockersOnline Forum

Cocker Specific Discussion => Feeding => Topic started by: linda c on November 25, 2013, 06:50:51 PM

Title: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: linda c on November 25, 2013, 06:50:51 PM
Does anyone else have a dog that just loves carrots and how do you feed them?
Blue knows when I buy them, he's had 1 raw today and is sitting looking at the cupboard where the others are.  :blink:  I find if I give him too many he doesn't seem to digest it well, there's always lots of it in his poo.
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: JennyBee on November 25, 2013, 07:00:39 PM
Brodie gets around a carrot a day - she's on a low fat diet and can't tolerate most chews or treats, so these help fill her up and keep her teeth clean. She prefers them to be cut into chunks or strips and has some with each meal. She does have 'carrot poo' now and then, but I have seen no other negative effects of her eating them.
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: Archie bean on November 25, 2013, 07:06:11 PM
My first cocker Sherwood was root veggie obsessed! He once stole a carrot from the display outside our local shop. I didn't even notice him do it as we walked past, I just looked down and there it was sticking out of his mouth like a cigar.  :005: :005: Archie prefers brocolli but will eat a carrot stick if it's small and peeled. Spoiled much Mr A?
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: JamiesGirl on November 25, 2013, 07:20:00 PM
Does anyone else have a dog that just loves carrots and how do you feed them?
Blue knows when I buy them, he's had 1 raw today and is sitting looking at the cupboard where the others are.  :blink:  I find if I give him too many he doesn't seem to digest it well, there's always lots of it in his poo.

you know jamie loves them  :D i give half a carrot raw probably every day but he also has frozen veg sometimes which is mostly carrot with some broccoli and cauliflower. if we have carrots for tea he has the end and top. Like Mr A he is also spoilt  :luv:
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: abzy0309 on November 25, 2013, 07:23:00 PM
Reggie has one most days :)
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: JennyBee on November 25, 2013, 07:24:57 PM
Does anyone else have a dog that just loves carrots and how do you feed them?
Blue knows when I buy them, he's had 1 raw today and is sitting looking at the cupboard where the others are.  :blink:  I find if I give him too many he doesn't seem to digest it well, there's always lots of it in his poo.

you know jamie loves them  :D i give half a carrot raw probably every day but he also has frozen veg sometimes which is mostly carrot with some broccoli and cauliflower. if we have carrots for tea he has the end and top. Like Mr A he is also spoilt  :luv:

I've been giving Brodie frozen veg over the last couple of weeks, as she's on steroids and starving! She's a fussy girl but loves carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and green beans. Oh and sweet corn!
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: Patp on November 25, 2013, 07:30:23 PM
Jinley is not bothered so much with carrots, but she loves fresh peas in their pods.

Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: Joules on November 25, 2013, 07:32:35 PM
Coco loves carrots and has one every day.  I just feed her a smallish one or cut a large one lengthways for her.

Dogs cannot really digest plain raw veg very well which is why raw feeders usually feed their veg pulped  ;)  It comes out pretty much the way it went in.  :005:

I just use it as a treat and a fat free chew subsitute  :D
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: linda c on November 25, 2013, 07:33:35 PM
 :D Sara do you just give Jamie the chunks of cauliflower and broccoli frozen or is it defrosted? :005:
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: Silver on November 25, 2013, 07:38:38 PM
Merlin likes carrots and he is given fresh raw ones occasionally. More often he gets fed raw veg from the freezer when I make a meal: he gets tossed frozen peas, or carrots, or cauliflower, or green beans: he likes them all and seems to like them frozen!
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: Joules on November 25, 2013, 07:43:01 PM
:D Sara do you just give Jamie the chunks of cauliflower and broccoli frozen or is it defrosted? :005: 

Frozen veg is fine too  ;)
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: Letichia on November 25, 2013, 07:43:33 PM
On the subject of carrots, don't want to hijack the thread of anything but is it possible for raw carrots to cause an upset tummy?
Just i have given Lilly half of one before bed time on two different occasions in the last week and the following morning she has diarrhoea :huh:
Mollie and Scoobie don't have a problem with them its just odd that it has happened both times. I am a little bit worried about giving her another one!  
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: linda c on November 25, 2013, 07:55:19 PM
I haven't had problems with an upset tummy. Possibly they don't suit all dogs. All my dogs in the past have had them without problems. Always buy decent looking ones and give them a good wash and then peel them.  :blink:
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: Joules on November 25, 2013, 07:57:29 PM
I haven't had problems with an upset tummy. Possibly they don't suit all dogs. All my dogs in the past have had them without problems. Always buy decent looking ones and give them a good wash and then peel them.  :blink: 

I agree - may just be that they don't suit some dogs although I have never heard of it.

You are obviously much posher than me - I never peel them for Coco, or even wash them very much either  ph34r :005:
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: linda c on November 25, 2013, 08:09:42 PM
 Blue would probably eat them if I didn't do it, but have always done it  :005:

We did have a springer that used to dig them up over the fields where 2 horses were tethered :blink:

Didn't make any difference to her :005:
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: Letichia on November 25, 2013, 08:10:46 PM
Thank you for replies it is odd isn't it? I have never heard of a dog not agreeing with carrots either.
I think i will give it a week or two then try again. She really loves them so would be a shame if she couldn't tolerate them.
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: JamiesGirl on November 25, 2013, 08:13:03 PM
:D Sara do you just give Jamie the chunks of cauliflower and broccoli frozen or is it defrosted? :005:


frozen makes him have to have a chew rather than inhale it like he does everything else  :005:
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: Toni-UK on November 25, 2013, 09:22:31 PM
Ruby has an unwashed, unpeeled carrot  most nights, she loves them but sweetcorn gives her the squits !
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: Nicola on November 25, 2013, 11:00:31 PM
Caoimhe loves them, but she loves anything remotely edible. Tilly loves them but unfortunately can't have them because of her IBD. Ro hates any and all fruit and vegetables and if offered any, including carrot, will take it politely then vehemently spit it out before it poisons him :005:
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: Murphys Law on November 25, 2013, 11:16:00 PM
Murphy loves carrots but doesn't really eat much of one. He just chews it and then spits it out and get I have to pick up the pieces.
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: 8 Hairy Feet on November 26, 2013, 08:22:16 AM
Ro hates any and all fruit and vegetables and if offered any, including carrot, will take it politely then vehemently spit it out before it poisons him :005:
:005:
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: Penelope on November 26, 2013, 11:55:59 AM
Mine all love carrots - to the extent that if there is something intriguing in the garden and they don't want to come in, I just open the door and shout CARROTS and they all come running.  :005:
They all watch each other very closely just in case one is silly enough to leave a piece then the others dive in and try and grab it.
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: Max X 2 on November 26, 2013, 02:32:45 PM
Mine love them & get one most days.

My brother stayed with is for a few weeks some time back & always gave them a carrot - when he visits now after the initial skipping around they sit in front of the fridge waiting
Title: Re: Carrots for your dogs
Post by: Helen on November 26, 2013, 03:27:12 PM

Ro hates any and all fruit and vegetables and if offered any, including carrot, will take it politely then vehemently spit it out before it poisons him :005:


yep, his brown counterpart down here is EXACTLY the same except the "vehemently spitting" is accompanied by the most reproachful huge eyed look you could ever imagine  :lol2: