CockersOnline Forum

Cocker Specific Discussion => Feeding => Topic started by: Lottielove on December 09, 2013, 05:26:29 PM

Title: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: Lottielove on December 09, 2013, 05:26:29 PM
I have tried Lottie on a few different things since we got her, as she isn't keen on much actual dog food - she came with Pedigree tins and Simpsons kibble, and we've tried Chappie, James Wellbeloved and now Naturediet mixed with a bit of kibble. The last few days she's had a fair bit of chicken too, but she's also had very runny poos and I think it's the Naturediet. Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem and it passed? I've given her just scrambled egg tonight in the hope that will settle her a bit.
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: Murphys Law on December 09, 2013, 05:37:34 PM
Maybe the swapping and changing is upsetting lotties stomach.

I had to introduce Acana very slowly over a two week period for Murphy or he would get an upset tummy.

However, when he went onto Natural Instinct a couple of weeks ago I just swapped him straight over with no problems at all . Right from the start he was pooing less and solidly.

He absolutely loves it too.
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: elaine.e on December 09, 2013, 05:50:07 PM
Could be the swapping and changing, but I also wonder about the cooked chicken as I remember from a previous post that you'd bought some reduced in M&S and frozen it. Is it the processed chicken slices that are used in sandwiches? If so, it will have salt and preservatives in it and would probably be OK in very small quantities as training treats for instance, but not really as part of a meal. Or even if it's the ready roasted portions I personally wouldn't feed the skin because of the fat content and also because it's probably got salt on it, and would only feed in small amounts.
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: linda c on December 09, 2013, 07:20:17 PM
When you opened the Naturediet was it really hard to pull the lid off? If it came off easily it might not have been sealed properly and was "off" if it gets a very small nick in the packet it will do the same, normally you can smell if it's not right. I have had the odd packet like that but not for a long time.
Naturediet batches also vary so the slight change in ingredients may upset her tummy.
I would  only use fresh chicken and cook it yourself then you know it's cooked properly, but as already said the swapping and changing may be giving her an upset tummy.
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: butterflywings21 on December 09, 2013, 07:29:05 PM
Snap....just been to the vets with Tilly, bad runny poop and being sick. £134 later and she been given an injection and I have to collect poop sample. She has lost half a kilo in weight. She has always had a funny tummy since we got her, she was on RC (didn't agree with her) then burns no problems but I was that happy with it so we went on to naturediet and a few anana kibble and she had been fine. Went off her food last week and has been on and off being sick and runny bum.
Like you I now don't know what to feed her. I'll see what the test come back as and the maybe stick with the Acana kibble only.
Sending big hugs. :bigarmhug:
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: Lottielove on December 09, 2013, 08:58:52 PM
Hmm I don't know what to do for the best really, as the only reason I've been trying different things is because she wasn't eating. The chicken yesterday was freshly roasted by me but I think she did have some skin, I'll make sure she doesn't have that again. The naturediet was hard to get the lid off so I don't think it was off. She won't eat just kibble, or just tinned food. She just ignores it (and to be fair with having so many teeth out maybe kibble isn't the easiest for her to eat). She snaffled down the scrambled egg I made her tonight so we'll see if that upsets her tummy or not. She seems bright and happy and hasn't been sick I don't think a vet visit is needed. Going forward though I have no idea what to feed her!
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: Archie bean on December 09, 2013, 10:56:07 PM
Which kibble is she now on? Is it still the JWB? It is good food but it does seem to upset quite a few dogs. Archie was one of them. He was really loose when I tried him on it as a pup. I also remember reading in here that chicken itself can cause problems for some pups and that plain white fish is a safer alternative for an upset tum. I would agree that trying lots of different things isn't going to help her tum settle but it's so difficult when they aren't keen on eating.  :bigarmhug:
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: Lottielove on December 10, 2013, 08:01:03 AM
The Simpsons kibble was running out so I mixed in a little of the JWB kibble with it so that it was a gentle changeover. To be honest though she leaves most of the kibble anyway if she can (ie if it isn't actually attached to the food she wants to eat!). The egg last night didn't upset her tummy so this morning I did her egg again with just a little kibble (which she left!). I will get some plain frozen white fish today.
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: Archie bean on December 10, 2013, 09:09:08 AM
I feel your frustration. Archie refused kibble too. I gave up with it in the end and he's just wet fed now. No runs though so maybe it is the nature diet that's a bit rich. It's tricky because they only do one flavour of puppy food so if it's the main ingredient there's not much else to help.  :-\ Hope she gets sorted out soon.
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: Lottielove on December 10, 2013, 09:53:29 AM
She isn't a puppy, she's quite elderly. She's just new to me, LOL! At the foster home she was fed Simpsons kibble, and pedigree tins when she had lots of teeth out (I think previously to the dental she was given only kibble). She was with 4 other dogs and the lady also had a daughter under 2 so I'm pretty sure Lottie would have just had food put down and she either ate it or she didn't without all this fuss or special treatment. It leads me to think the fussiness is just fussiness, but obviously I don't want to be giving her an upset tummy. On the other hand she has put weight on quite rapidly in the month she has been with us, so she can't have been eating that much in the foster home.
I have white fish now so tonight she can have that with some rice (I guess that means we are having rice for dinner, LOL!).
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: Sheryl on December 10, 2013, 10:10:42 AM
If my girls are on a bland diet, I always use fish as they....and quite a few doggies on here......cannot tolerate chicken very well.
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: Archie bean on December 10, 2013, 10:50:06 AM
She isn't a puppy, she's quite elderly. She's just new to me, LOL! At the foster home she was fed Simpsons kibble, and pedigree tins when she had lots of teeth out (I think previously to the dental she was given only kibble). She was with 4 other dogs and the lady also had a daughter under 2 so I'm pretty sure Lottie would have just had food put down and she either ate it or she didn't without all this fuss or special treatment. It leads me to think the fussiness is just fussiness, but obviously I don't want to be giving her an upset tummy. On the other hand she has put weight on quite rapidly in the month she has been with us, so she can't have been eating that much in the foster home.
I have white fish now so tonight she can have that with some rice (I guess that means we are having rice for dinner, LOL!).

Sorry!!  :doh:
Hope the fish does the trick.
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: Mudmagnets on December 10, 2013, 10:51:11 AM
I feel your frustration. Archie refused kibble too. I gave up with it in the end and he's just wet fed now. No runs though so maybe it is the nature diet that's a bit rich. It's tricky because they only do one flavour of puppy food so if it's the main ingredient there's not much else to help.  :-\ Hope she gets sorted out soon.

I think the amounts of Naturediet advised could be a factor, MInstrel was fine when he did not have too much of it, but once I put the amount up as per their feeding guide(and I did not give all they advised) that is when his problems started.
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: Lottielove on December 10, 2013, 11:28:51 AM
I've only been giving a couple of icecubes worth of Naturediet when she had it - using it as a mixer so to speak - so for Lottie it isn't an issue of quantity.
She has had quite a bit of chicken though, so if that doesn't agree with all dogs maybe that's the problem. I thought plain chicken was what you fed on a bland diet so I've been giving her that. Plus it's something she actually eats. I'm on a steep new-to-dogs learning curve  :embarassed:
Who knows, perhaps she still feels really unsettled and it isn't food that's the problem at all!
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: linda c on December 10, 2013, 12:00:34 PM
I had a gold dog who just couldn't have anything with chicken in as it went right through him. We ended up checking all the labels on everything we gave him,  even if it's labelled as lamb or another meat it actually had chicken of some sort in it :huh:
With her being older and as you said she's lost some of her teeth it may be that a soft food is going to suit her better, it's just finding one that she'll eat without causing and upset tummy . Can't see  fish and rice causing any problems, that's what I used to give ours if any had upset tummies and as you've been doing using scrambled egg.
Don't get too worried, a lot of us go through the same thing, but in the end you'll get there :blink:
If she's not being sick and her poo's aren't really runny shouldn't need trip to vets. Try her without chicken and see how you go on the fish.
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: Lottielove on December 10, 2013, 12:46:56 PM
I will keep her on fish and rice for a few days and take it from there.
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: Lottielove on December 10, 2013, 07:35:49 PM
So obviously she didn't eat the fish and rice!
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: linda c on December 10, 2013, 09:03:58 PM
Oh dear, never had one that wouldn't eat fish  :huh:
Is she a slim dog or carrying a bit of weight? How many times a day do you try to feed her?
My vet used to say they will eat if they're hungry and won't starve themselves.
Wonder if it's worth leaving the dish of food down for 20 minutes if she won't eat it pick it up and cover, then try putting it back down later. If she's eating the scrambled egg she's hungry, makes you wonder if she's just being fussy.
Sounds like she'll probably be better on a soft food, but what?
Running out of ideas !!!
Anyone else have any suggestions?  :-\
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: Lottielove on December 10, 2013, 09:12:54 PM
She's slim, on the bottom of an OK weight according to the vet. Not underweight.
I think she had a nibble of the fish but most/all of it was still there, I left it a couple of hours then threw it away. Perhaps it was TOO bland? Wonder what I could add to it to make it more appetising. I will make her scrambled egg again in the morning so that she's definitely eating something. I feed her morning and evening which is what her foster carer told me she did. However I can guarantee her foster carer didn't make her scrambled egg every day with a toddler and 4 other dogs, so I'm pretty sure she's just being fussy. Her elderly owner previously may well have catered to her with a largely human diet though.
Honestly, I don't even make scrambled eggs for my children on a school morning!
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: linda c on December 10, 2013, 09:25:44 PM
Think you may be right !!!! We'd try one thing for a few days and he would eat it ok, then he wouldn't so we'd try something else, same thing would happen  >:D . that's when the vet said to leave it for a while, pick it up and try again, eventually he just ate the normal food.
What a lot we do for our furry friends !!!
Tuna fish shouldn't upset her and it smells a bit, might encourage her. Try mixing some in with the scrambled egg?
If she was used to having what her elderly owner had no wonder she's turning her nose up at dog food :lol2:
You might have a long job on your hands  but you'll get there eventually   :blink:
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: Lottielove on December 10, 2013, 09:34:02 PM
Thanks.  :blink:
I reckon she's angling for steak.
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: linda c on December 10, 2013, 09:44:29 PM
Don't even go there  :005: Got a friend with a blue roan that will only eat the very best, costs them a small fortune  :D
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: Lottielove on December 10, 2013, 10:12:38 PM
Don't worry, we can't afford to eat steak, there's no way she's getting it! I can run to a few eggs though.
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: carol pearson on December 16, 2013, 05:12:21 PM
If you want to try and carry on with the fish you could add cooked sweet potato.
 
Ozzy has a sensitive stomach and had been on this for a while, although I have just tried him with a bit of venison from Morrison's and fingers crossed he has been fine.
Lilly's Kitchen do cans of venison and rabbit and I am thinking of try that.

Hope you get him sorted.x
Title: Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
Post by: Lottielove on December 16, 2013, 05:20:39 PM
I did try her for two more days on the fish and she left it both days, so have given up on that for now. At the moment she is eating some of the JWB kibble though so all is not lost. We went out to a national trust place on sunday and she ate most of DH's roast pork so we know what she'd prefer!