CockersOnline Forum
Cocker Specific Discussion => Puppies => Topic started by: Fanofjess on December 11, 2013, 07:05:22 AM
-
Strange etion - when do pups start to bark? Jessie is 14 weeks, and except an odd whine to get up in the morning we dont hear a peep from her.
-
Enjoy the silence.
You do not know how lucky you are. Our previous cocker would be barking as soon as a footstep was placed on our gravel drive, woof whilst clearing the garden of cats and birds and if he saw cats or birds through a window would start a cycle of woofing and whining. As he was a rescue, we worked on him being silent with limited success.
Our neighbours collie cross woofs if cars go passed or someone knocks on their door, but stops quite quickly. I am very tolerant of this as neighbours are elderly and think that if I hear the dog bark for a long period of time there would be something up with my neighbours and would go and investigate.
-
Hay there, it will prob start soon. I've got a working cocker and she hardly ever barks at all, when she does it makes me jump. It's usually when she's in the car and someone walks by and she only sees them at the last min. It u have a working they are inclined to bark less as there breed needs them silent for there job. She will find her voice soon. And as the months go by it will get deeper like a big WHOOF WHOOF! Lol
-
Enjoy it while it lasts!
I've had 4 show type Cockers in all and while none of them have been persistent barkers I had problems with Louis when he was about a year old. When in the house he seemed to react to every noise he heard outside and barked. I had to work hard to get him to be less reactive, but it's worked apart from the front door, which is still a trigger for barking when the post comes or the doorbell is rung.
-
Murphy (show, worker I just don't know any more ??) goes days without barking at all. We might get a little woof sometimes in the mornings when he decides it is time for us to get up or when we have to go out and leave him in his crate but that is about it.
I would much rather have a dog who doesn't bark than one that never stops, and I am sure the neighbours agree.
-
We had Hudson for a full month before he said a word! Now he only really barks at the cats and that's not every day. Quiet dogs are the best!!!
-
My eldest show type, Emily, didn't bark until she was about 2. She does now (because we stupidly taught her to ask for her dinner :lol2:). Ollie (show type) barked, screamed, yowled from the minute I put him in the car to bring him home. He is super-vocal (and I do my best to keep it under some control). But he is like a coiled spring and quite 'explosive' - I think he can't help it! My worker puppy barks sometimes when he's playing, and when I get home as a welcome. He's dead-quiet when working though. They're all different and I love them to bits, but I wouldn't be too distressed if they were all 'barkless'!
-
Enjoy the quiet. Blue, show type, didn't bark at all when a puppy we thought it strange as the others did, then we had one that was very vocal barking at everything, phone, doorbell the lot. So he decided to join in all the time. We've only got Blue now and he's much quieter except when he's excited but even then it's only an odd short bark.
Quiet dogs are much easier. !!!
-
As others have said Enjoy the Silence ;)
Cupar never really did serious barking until he was about 2 now he can bark for Scotland. Barks to be let out, barks to be let in, barks when you throw his ball, barks when you dont throw his ball, barks doing his agility(sometime) , barks when anyone passes the house, barks when anyone goes up neighbours path, BARKS when anyone comes to the door but keeps his best bark for the postman, the list is endless even gives little woofs when sleeping sometimes. So I would savior the quiet time. Being a cocker Im sure Jessie WILL find her voice :D :005:
-
My last cocker only barked at 4 things. Flying birds, aeroplanes, church bells and Britney Spears "Slave 4U" :dunno: Archie never barked much as a pup. He was (and is) very whiny and chatty. He used to talk to himself all day when he was really small. :luv: Then Mum got little Jade. She can bark for England and has done ever since the day she arrived at 8 weeks old. She has now taught Archie to bark too and he starts at the slightest little noise when he's in the house. According to my neighbours though, he is quiet while I'm out. He also stays silent when out on a walk, even when playing with other dogs. Rarely a peep out of him. He's a bit of an odd one!
-
I'd say we heard Daisy's first bark at around 18 weeks. She's not much of a barker, she only barks when someone comes to the door, which I don't discourage, and when she hears dogs barking outside when she's in the house. When she's outside she doesn't make a peep. If you tell her to be quiet, she makes this little grumbly woof sound before she stops :005:
-
Brodie would only give off the odd bark as a puppy, but then at a year old she discovered her voice and she has been making up for that year of quiet ever since :P. She loves to bark. She's worse outside than in the house, her worst times are if she sees a (large) dog - we are working on that :shades:. She loves to 'talk' too and is very good at letting me know what she wants with one little woof!
-
Charlie didn't bark until he was 12 months old. He's still very quiet and is most of the time silent. He's 2 yrs, 4 months and he's not barked outside yet (the garden doesn't count). :luv:
-
Charlie didn't bark until he was 12 months old. He's still very quiet and is most of the time silent. He's 2 yrs, 4 months and he's not barked outside yet (the garden doesn't count). :luv:
Omg Charlie is so laid back.
You should hear Riley outside when he is let off the lead and I cant throw the ball quick enough. He is a yap lol.
-
Definitely enjoy the silence. My two don't bark much in the house but outside in the summer Bramble was a nightmare.
The children next door bouncing on the trampoline, with their heads popping over the fence, :005: was dreadful.
I bought a treat ball to try and desensitise her but it only worked whilst it kept her busy! I just had to take her into the house.
I do find if they bark it carries on intermittently all day for the least little thing that they might usually ignore.
Silence is golden!
-
William is just the opposite - the only time he shuts up is when he is asleep! :005:
-
Thanks everyone, will enjoy the peace and hope it lasts!
-
Really enjoy the peace. Willow is 8 months now and she didn't start to bark until I started showing her. Now as soon as I pick up my bag or car keys, that's it...she barks and barks and tries to second guess which car door I'm going to open first. I have it all the way to the show right up until I put her onto the grooming table. Talk about excited. She now asks for her dinner by barking, asks to go out by little barks and to come in by big barks.
Gosh.. when I think back to when it was quiet.
-
-have had 3 staffs, 1 border terrier and spaniel. can honesty say none have been barkers :003:
-
Sam had to be taught how to bark as he rarely made a sound. We wanted him to bark at the doorbell so people knew there was a dog at home. Anyone watching us teaching him to bark would think we were nuts. Plenty of treats to Gee him up and he had to work out how to get those treats. Took ages but he finally got the idea and think he was over a year before he barked properly. Rose on the other hand we couldn't shut up. My sister in law has a lab who is now 8. Probably barked twice at the doorbell in all that time. It just never occurs to him to make a sound.
-
All in all Dexter is a quiet dog....when he does bark it is really loud though ;)