CockersOnline Forum
Cocker Specific Discussion => Puppies => Topic started by: PintOfStuff on December 14, 2013, 08:22:38 AM
-
Huxley had his 2nd jab and nasal spray yesterday but sadly the vet says he still can't really go out.
Seems he has to have a 3rd and then wait another 2 weeks.
that's a long time for a puppy to be stuck in our house and garden.
I'm curious as to what other people have experienced? I'm pretty sure Huxley is going to have his tiny mind blown the first time he goes out. ;)
-
After his 2nd injection, Riley was allowed to go out 10 days after that.
He didnt go on to have a 3rd, what is the 3rd one?
So when we brought him home at 9 weeks it was approximately 4 weeks before he could go out on walks.
We did take him out sometimes though and carry him in our arms and get him used to noises, surroundings etc.
-
You can take him out - just carry him ;)
I took Coco out and about from the start, just didn't put her on the ground. It would be a good idea to get Huxley used to sounds and smells out and about asap, so I would definitely do this until he is able to go out properly :D
-
You can take him out - just carry him ;)
I took Coco out and about from the start, just didn't put her on the ground. It would be a good idea to get Huxley used to sounds and smells out and about asap, so I would definitely do this until he is able to go out properly :D
Same here x
-
It's ok to socialise them around other vaccinated dogs. So if you have friends/family with or without dogs take him to visit them. Otherwise as others have said - take him 'walking' but carry him. Take him for rides in the car, and if he's crated (or have him on your lap) sit somewhere where people will likely be like a train station car park. He can get used to noises of other cars, trains, people, etc. Some puppy classes allow partly vaccinated puppies as well. (I do sympathise - I have a tiny house and garden but I was very lucky as have friends with a large fenced field that I use).
-
thanks for the advice everyone - just wanted to check. i did carry him up the street this morning which is always busy - as i suspected mind was blown with too many things to look at :D
as for jabs - to be honest, i'm so tired at the moment :lol2: that it's a bit of blur, all i know is that after all jabs Huxley will be covered for these, which all sound horrendous
(a) Parvovirus, (b) Distemper, (c ) Canine Hepatitis, (d) Leptospirosis, (e) Kennel Cough (infectious bronchitis), (f) Adenovirus and (g) Para-Influenza.
-
If I can help
The third jab is a Leprotitis (sp) booster, Minstrel had one a month after his 2nd jab, but I thought it was because he had his first jab done at the breeder's vet - maybe not.
I could take him out for walks and socialisation 10 days after his 2nd one.
Have to agree it is very confusing (specially for new owners) when vets seem to be giving different advise :dunno:
-
I generally felt that we didn't socialise Bella enough she was our first dog and we followed vets instructions, and was very precious with her, she ended up being quite a timid dog and we've had to work hard to get her like she is now. I wasn't going to make the same mistake with Molly so I took her everywhere, initially shoved down my top but as she got heavier I bought a cheap rucksack to carry her in. She definitely has no fear.
(http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc94/kalami05/IMG_0682.jpg) (http://s212.photobucket.com/user/kalami05/media/IMG_0682.jpg.html)
-
I bought a baby sling (also marketed as a pet sling) from Ebay and spent the 1st month carrying Archie around. He got lots of socialisation and attention that way. We were allowed out 2 weeks after 2nd jab as parvo was particularly rife at the time.
-
You can take him out - just carry him ;)
I took Coco out and about from the start, just didn't put her on the ground. It would be a good idea to get Huxley used to sounds and smells out and about asap, so I would definitely do this until he is able to go out properly :D
Same here x
Ditto I used to walk up to the main road & watch the buses & lorry's, anything noisy & frightening.
-
I did the same when Blue was a puppy. Carried him up to our small roundabout and let him meet all the kids on their way home from school, plus cars. buses, lorries, etc.
Definitely would do that as he's got the soundest temperament and isn't frightened of anything :D
-
thanks - based on everyones experience I carried Hux down the road and round the block - police sirens, children and a few people then into car for a 5 min drive.
the 3d jab (seems there's conflicting advise all over the place :016:) is on 27th Dec so planning to carry the the little wriggler out everyday now to help on the socialisation front.
Kalami - how cute is Molly - the cheap rucksack is such a cunning idea.
So far Huxley seems to have no fear - and based on yesterday, also loves the vet, although i'm not sure how long that will last :005:
-
Toby went out the first day we got him, in a game bag, same as Kalami we have 1 nervous dog didn't want another, he was playing with the other dogs in the street (all vaccinated) in each others garden. He was chasing about with Murphy in the fields at 8 weeks old, he saw lorries, motorbikes, cars etc. Now at 7 mths he is used to most things ,and i'll do the same again next time.Only had 2 jabs though ? (and got told off at vets for putting him on the floor before 2nd jab :005:)
(http://i41.tinypic.com/33xya9v.jpg)
(http://i42.tinypic.com/291kh6q.jpg)
-
When we got Reggie our breeder had not had any injections done. He was well socialised with the breeders other immunised dogs and we were told that he hadn't been vaccinated because there is a chance my vet would want to give him two more anyway on top of his first one. Apparently vets use that many different brands of vaccinations that they aren't all compatable and then boosters are required.
I don't know if this is the truth..... Our breeder wasn't the best on reflection! ph34r
P.s we also got told off for going out but I listened to my fellow COL friends and took him out anyway for a carry.
-
birdy - love that pic in the game bag.
abzy - that's exactly what our breeder said, apparently she's had problems with vets in the north of England saying the jabs she'd given to her puppies weren't strong enough? Hux had hung out with all her other dogs and children but still .... he needs to get out and experience things.
Today we'll try a rucksack - as he's a bit of a wriggle bum I think it should be interesting.
-
I didn't really take Archie out because he wouldn't stay still in a bag and I have RSI which made it impossible for me to carry him safely. He has always been heavy. I can't actually pick him up at all now he's fully grown. :shades: I tried a couple of times but risked hurting my wrists too much so had to abandon it. His injections we're all delayed by 10 days as he had to be on antibiotics for a urine infection. He was allowed on the ground two weeks after his second jab. Luckily my vet held puppy parties and he was allowed to join straight after his second jab so he got to socialise with other pups as well as with mums dog. Fortunately I haven't had any problems with him being nervous in the outside world. Oddly, my last cocker had plenty of carried trips out but once he was able to go for walks he totally refused to budge and was nervous of EVERYTHING. I guess a certain amount of it just depends on the individual pup.