CockersOnline Forum
Cocker Specific Discussion => Feeding => Topic started by: QuaCKeReD on January 01, 2014, 12:23:47 AM
-
Am looking at possibility of changing dry foods.
Currently on Wainrights, tried the duck/rice one, now on salmon/potato. It's not that she has any issues on them, more that I know there is better she could be on...
Whichdogfood.co.uk shows Eden as the highest rated, and seems to have the 'best' ingredients (my only concern would be the higher protein content, but only in comparison to other foods)
Has anyone had any experience, or know anyone that has, of this food with cockers?
-
Fudge has been on Eden for about 10 months - we have had absolutely no problems with it. Solid stools and he loves it. They are not cheap but I feel you get what you pay for - delivery to wherever we are has been very good too (we tour in our caravan a lot).
-
Fudge has been on Eden for about 10 months - we have had absolutely no problems with it. Solid stools and he loves it. They are not cheap but I feel you get what you pay for - delivery to wherever we are has been very good too (we tour in our caravan a lot).
Happy New Year! :005:
Can I ask, what weight/age is Fudge, and how much do you feed in comparison to their recommended?
Yeah, cost is a bit more, but if their recommendations are anything to go by, should actually be cheaper than WR overall :005:
-
Will PM you.
-
I've got a sample bag of eden which I bought before we realised HB cant eat chicken. Never even opened it. You can have it if you like.
We're on James Wellbeloved. Not as highly rated but good for a sensitive tum and ours is doing well on it
-
Riley almost 2 has been on eden for 10 months, he thrives on it. He weighs in at just over 14.5kg and he has the recommended amount each day but he does have other stuff at times too.
Dogs need protein, dont know where that myth came from about too much high protein, as long as its good protein and the dog is healthy then higher protein food is fine, no rubbish fillers etc.
Riley also sometimes has some natures menu raw chicken mince or raw tripe mince.
Eden works out actually cheaper than a lot of inferior foods.
We pay £50 for 15kg which lasts Riley about just under 3 months.
I think eden are going to be making a variation without chicken, might be fish actually.
-
What's the issue with chicken?
Have read on here about it upsetting some, and others being hyper...any actual details about any issue with it?
-
I've got a sample bag of eden which I bought before we realised HB cant eat chicken. Never even opened it. You can have it if you like.
We're on James Wellbeloved. Not as highly rated but good for a sensitive tum and ours is doing well on it
Thanks! Though am sure 400g on its own isn't enough to move her over and try it out for a few days - not actually sure why they do those bags.
If we do move, will probably get 7.5kg bag to start, just in case any problems... And may come back to you for that bag :005:
-
What's the issue with chicken?
Have read on here about it upsetting some, and others being hyper...any actual details about any issue with it?
I don't think there's any real issue with chicken. it's one of the most common ingredients in kibble and also one of the meats most commonly used by raw feeders, I guess because it's easily available and relatively cheap. Some dogs are sensitive or allergic to chicken but there's no higher incidence of sensitivities/allergies to chicken than to any other protein sources as far as I'm aware.
-
I've got a sample bag of eden which I bought before we realised HB cant eat chicken. Never even opened it. You can have it if you like.
We're on James Wellbeloved. Not as highly rated but good for a sensitive tum and ours is doing well on it
Thanks! Though am sure 400g on its own isn't enough to move her over and try it out for a few days - not actually sure why they do those bags.
If we do move, will probably get 7.5kg bag to start, just in case any problems... And may come back to you for that bag :005:
Well I guess just to see if they actually like it... No point buying 7 kilos for them to turn their nose up ;)
I'm not sure if there is an actual issue with chicken, it just gave our puppy constant diarrhoea. We may try and reintroduce it when he's older but not worth it for now.
-
I dont know any dogs that have issues with chicken, its a light food and usually suggested to feed when dog has an upset tum. I appreciate there will always be dogs who dont tolerate it well, but that imo is really rare.
-
I dont know any dogs that have issues with chicken, its a light food and usually suggested to feed when dog has an upset tum. I appreciate there will always be dogs who dont tolerate it well, but that imo is really rare.
Jamie can't tolerate chicken. There's always one isn't there :005:
-
I dont know any dogs that have issues with chicken, its a light food and usually suggested to feed when dog has an upset tum. I appreciate there will always be dogs who dont tolerate it well, but that imo is really rare.
Jamie can't tolerate chicken. There's always one isn't there :005:
Lol, oh really, maybe its going to prove to be more common then than I thought.
-
TILLY could not tolerate Eden or acana as the meat content was too high for her and cause so much tummy upset. She is now on Barking Heads grain free puppy and a cube of wainrights grain free wet food in Turkey and she and her tummy are 100% better.
-
After reading Eden was rated top on whichdogfood, I was considering it but I was put off by the high meat content too. I am gradually changing Archie over and have chosen Simpsons (but not the 80/20) which was also rated as 1st on the site). So far he is wolfing it down. It is a cereal free food so less fillers etc. Will wait and see....
-
Not being flippant, just genuinely curious to why some people think that "too high" meat content isnt good.
Dogs are meant to eat meat, what they arent meant to eat is cereals, grains , beet pulp etc.
Meat is good lol.
-
My previous cocker tried higher meat content food and his stools were constantly runny and impossible to pick up so that's why I'm reluctant to try a higher meat food with Archie, especially in view of the fact that the little blighter is still pooing indoors at 21 weeks old.....
-
I think higher protein content is associated with hyperactivity/ "excess" energy so boisterous dogs are recommended low protein diets. Not sure about the health implications of this though.
-
Not being flippant, just genuinely curious to why some people think that "too high" meat content isnt good.
Dogs are meant to eat meat, what they arent meant to eat is cereals, grains , beet pulp etc.
Meat is good lol.
It's got something to do with the food being dry. While dogs are meat eaters, raw meat has a certain percentage of water content so raw meat (and bones) aren't concentrated protein sources, whereas in a high protein dry food it is (I think). It relates to the protein source and content rather than whether it's meat.
-
I think higher protein content is associated with hyperactivity/ "excess" energy so boisterous dogs are recommended low protein diets. Not sure about the health implications of this though.
I have read and believe thats a myth, its additives and wheat/grains that are more likely to cause hyperactivity.
Riley has been on eden for 10 months and yes he has high energy on that morning hour out chasing his ball non stop, but at home he is almost horizontal all day after that lol, most definately the opposite of hyper active LOL. :005:
-
My previous cocker tried higher meat content food and his stools were constantly runny and impossible to pick up so that's why I'm reluctant to try a higher meat food with Archie, especially in view of the fact that the little blighter is still pooing indoors at 21 weeks old.....
I think its getting the balance right, its easy to overfeed as with higher protein like eden, orijen etc the amount we have to feed isnt as much as its not got fillers etc, so doesnt look much if that makes sense, therefore we tend to think its not enough and add more, which in my experience tipped the balance with Riley, ie too much of eden made his poo soft , I have now got him the right amount and his poo is firm and does 2 firm each day.
-
My previous cocker tried higher meat content food and his stools were constantly runny and impossible to pick up so that's why I'm reluctant to try a higher meat food with Archie, especially in view of the fact that the little blighter is still pooing indoors at 21 weeks old.....
Same as Tilly, her stools were awful. It came to a point I couldn't walk her because is she went to the loo I was unable to pick it up and she was also sick a few times. None of these problems now (touch wood) and she is a much happier dog for the change.
-
I tried many different amounts, it just didn't suit him. Changed to JWB, which was a good fit for him almost immediately. The search starts again with Archie as I'm gradually changing him over to adult food.
-
Tilly had lost a bit of weight so I'm keeping her on the puppy food till she's over 12 months old. Good luck with yours.
-
Not being flippant, just genuinely curious to why some people think that "too high" meat content isnt good.
Dogs are meant to eat meat, what they arent meant to eat is cereals, grains , beet pulp etc.
Meat is good lol.
Yes they are. Don't feed kibble even grain free Feed a raw diet.
Erica.
-
Erica, with all due respect, which could be claimed has been left out in your comment, I don't want to feed raw. The question was around experience with a dry food.
All, the high meat content isn't a concern, though the protein and fat from it may be :005: - but only in terms of not knowing how that will affect quantity of food needed, and how getting it wrong could cause stool 'issues' and excess energy (though a little more energy wouldn't be an issue for Pebbles at mo).
Thanks for all the feedback, think we will give Eden a go, though still have some 6-7kg of wainrights left at mo
-
Millies Wolfheart countryside is good, high quality but 70/30 :D
-
I feed my two Simpson's 80/20 Eden I think. Before that I fed Simpson's for sensitive stomachs. I like fact that there are a lot of types you can choose from.
Service is great and have a few friends who have changed over. Been on it for 18 months and still get excited when I put it out
-
Not being flippant, just genuinely curious to why some people think that "too high" meat content isnt good.
Dogs are meant to eat meat, what they arent meant to eat is cereals, grains , beet pulp etc.
Meat is good lol.
Yes they are. Don't feed kibble even grain free Feed a raw diet.
Erica.
Dogs are not obligate carnivores and a raw diet is not suitable for all dogs. It was among many diets I tried for Tilly when her IBD first flared up and she cannot tolerate bones or raw meat - or any meat at all other than tiny amounts of duck; feeding her what constitutes a balanced raw diet would make her seriously ill. There is another member on here who has to feed one of her dogs a vegan diet as he can't have any animal protein at all. Raw undoubtedly suits some owners and some dogs - I feed half raw to Rodaidh and Caoimhe and it has some benefits for them - but it's not the best or most appropriate diet for everyone for various reasons.
-
Ozzy was on Eden for about 6 months, but unfortunately we had to take him off it. He had constantly runny stools, and we decided that we were feeding him too much, so we cut the amount right down. His stools did become slightly firmer, but he lost weight and was constantly hungry - becoming a real pest whenever we tried to eat a meal. So we gradually increased the amount again, but his stools just got runny again. We came to the conclusion that it just didn't suit him. We changed to Wainwrights and he seemed much better, not hungry and firmer stools, but then he started to itch a lot (which is why we put him on Eden in the first place!) so we've swapped him to Wainwrights grain free and he seems to be okay on that at the moment. Eden is a really good food, and we were sorry it didn't suit him.
-
The best dog food is the one you can afford, have the time and space to prepare and store, and most importantly, that suits your dog. Whichdogfood is useful as a guide to ingredients and quality in general, but your own dog's health and vitality are the best guide IMO as to whether he/she is on a good and suitable diet/not.
-
The best dog food is the one you can afford, have the time and space to prepare and store, and most importantly, that suits your dog. Whichdogfood is useful as a guide to ingredients and quality in general, but your own dog's health and vitality are the best guide IMO as to whether he/she is on a good and suitable diet/not.
Quite agree with this, it is like saying every human should eat the same food - we are all definately different. For instance if I ate 5 portions of fruit & veg. a day, I would be constantly taking immodium, and spend a fortune on loo rolls ph34r
-
Ewww :o TMI!
Lol. Yeah, I get the point, and agree. But you have to start somewhere, and what others deem "the best" can't be bad place to start.
As said, she hasn't any issues on Wainrights, it is just me knowing there is better out there that she could be on/try...
-
Ewww :o TMI!
Lol. Yeah, I get the point, and agree. But you have to start somewhere, and what others deem "the best" can't be bad place to start.
As said, she hasn't any issues on Wainrights, it is just me knowing there is better out there that she could be on/try...
No, indeed it is not a bad place to start, other peeps recommendations are a good idea,we get information that is not always available elsewhere.
-
Ewww :o TMI!
Lol. Yeah, I get the point, and agree. But you have to start somewhere, and what others deem "the best" can't be bad place to start.
As said, she hasn't any issues on Wainrights, it is just me knowing there is better out there that she could be on/try...
Exactly, you have to try before you know if it is suitable for you dog so why not start at the highest rated foods and if not suitable then try something else.