CockersOnline Forum
Cocker Specific Discussion => Behaviour & Training => Topic started by: Cazzie on July 24, 2007, 10:46:12 PM
-
I am doing a study just now on aggression in dogs. I would like to know if your dogs shows any aggression at all and if they do what are they aggressive towards. Thanks Guys ;)
-
Yes he shows aggresion to people when he is frightened. He usually drops his tail between his legs and then bites. Some of the other signals the growling and showing of teeth are not displayed. I am pleased to say these incidences are very few and far between, usually aimed towards the vet and groomer
-
Well Tom doesn't but lots of dogs show it too him i don't have a clue why and all the owners always say ooh they have never done that before :huh:
-
Thanks for that, the reason I have started this is Goose has started to be aggressive towards other male dogs and nothing else, I am working with him on this and WILL get it sorted. I have put it down to that he lives with 3 girls and most of the dogs that come here are girls and today he was sitting between my feet and another male dog came up to me to say hello and he flew at them, he is obviously being protective towards his girls and especially to his mummy. I have only found this common in male dogs so hence the post folks as it helps to put lots into prospective if you know what I mean. I am very interested in working with dogs that have issues as its something that is coming more common.
Thanks Guys and look forward to hearing your experiences ;) :blink:
-
Hi, Louis only shows aggression when he has pinched something and doesn't want to give it back. It always involves food. We can very easily give him food and take it away again, but not if he has acquired it by illegal means! He has never shown aggression to other dogs or humans (only last weekend when my mum turned up at my house with a dinky 16 week old toy poodle puppy whom Louis for the first time in nearly eleven years decided he wasn't sharing ANYTHING!) He is old now and obviously a bit cantankerous due to not being in tip top health so I forgive him for that. Is that wrong of me? I did tell him off but it seemed to make him worse.
-
Betty shows aggression (although it looks aggressive its actually fear) towards strangers on 'her territory', which includes our flat, my car, my workroom, and my grans ::) She doesn't turn a hair walking past people out and about on walks.
She is also wary of large dogs.
-
In a word... no. None of them have ever shown the slightest sign of aggression towards people, other dogs or any other animal, not over bones, toys, food, treats, space, beds, me, when growled at/barked at/humped by other dogs... nothing. They're lovers not fighters :shades: They are confident but extremely non confrontational and are without doubt some of the best natured dogs I've ever met, Alfie in particular is unfailingly cheerful and friendly to everyone and everything no matter what's going on - he was twisting around licking the vet's ears the last time he was having his anal glands squeezed and his tail was wagging like mad. He adores the vet, he actually pees himself with excitement when they call his name :005:
-
Never toward human beings, but toward each other.... ::)
Joy was just awful with Crackers, would beat her up any chance she got. She bullies the boys, but it is usually over something specific like a toy or food, not out of the blue like it was when Crackers was alive. She's much better with males than she is with females.
Barkley/Bracken (he's in the middle of a name change :005:), the newest, is 14 months old and entire, and in the last week or so has taken to bullying my shih-tzu, also an entire male. It's mostly been over biskits but there have been a couple of times that I don't know what it is. He bowls him over and pins him to the floor, so I need to sort what that is all about (late adolescent macho, methinks ::))
-
Yes
Billy is a difficult one as his is quite random. It's mainly based around fear & being bad at communicating with other dogs & humans.
He can snap at other dogs, I'd say one in every fifty he may growl at - there is no pattern whatsoever - believe me I've done lists!!! It's known to Billy & only Billy.
I can check his ears, clean his teeth, check his teeth, dry him, brush him & so can the vet & groomer & he will be fine, yet the other day i sat next to him on the bed & he tried to take my arm off >:D
Not much help am I :005:
-
Yes
Billy is a difficult one as his is quite random. It's mainly based around fear & being bad at communicating with other dogs & humans.
He can snap at other dogs, I'd say one in every fifty he may growl at - there is no pattern whatsoever - believe me I've done lists!!! It's known to Billy & only Billy.
I can check his ears, clean his teeth, check his teeth, dry him, brush him & so can the vet & groomer & he will be fine, yet the other day i sat next to him on the bed & he tried to take my arm off >:D
Not much help am I :005:
Sorry to hear that Jan :-\
I wish we could read there minds, find out what it is that makes them tick.
-
My mum & step- dad's border collie x will growl at, and bully at times my cocker Lady. Bella (the border collie x) is also very dominant over her fellow canine housemate Lincoln (springer spaniel) to the the point of humping him in a dominant way not a sexual way. If I'm there, I'll tell Bella to stop but my mum & step-dad let her get away with it. Yet at other times, she's also very loving to him - licks his eyes and generally grooms him. The only time Bella has ever gone for me was when she's managed to get hold of the feathers on the bum of one of their chickens through the fencing and I told her to "leave it" - she growled and snapped at my ankles.
Lady has shown no aggression at all tho she'll growl at night when it's dark (I dont think her eyesight is good after dark) if anyone comes to the door, but once she's had a sniff she's fine and then asks to be petted!
-
Only Barney, and only against one person ever but repeatidly.
Briefly, I've written about it so much on here. ::) :005: When Barney was 4 months old we took him to my mums, it was his first visit, and my brother, wife and kids were there. Barney had spent the day before with them during a trip to the seaside.
Barney had taken himself off and tucked away under a chair at the outdoor table where we were eating. When my 3 yr old niece had finished she'd got down from the table, on my next glance sideways she was sat with Max sticking her fingers up his nose. >:( Told her off and she took off in the opposite direction.
Two minutes later I heard Barney growl and bark, SIL was pulling niece out from table saying that he'd gone for her. >:( I was furious that she let her crawl under the table to get to him when he was asleep.
Immediately after he ran away from her and hid. So whether she'd hurt him or startled him, he was frightened. The following day I tried to rebuild their relationship, but he was very frightened of her. They only visit about four times a year so he doesn't see her very often.
They next time they were up I went through trying to reintroduce them slowly. Face to face he's wary but tolerates her, but if he can't see her but knows she's approaching he will snap. I've tried just about everything, and last Christmas I threw every trick I knew at it but with the same outcome. If she approaches from behind he snaps. I've tried to tell her not to sneak up on him, but takes no notice.
I took a soft crate, so there were no bars to put fingers through, to give Barney some space. We put him in there and she'd not leave him alone even with my OH sitting next to the crate telling her to go away. >:( So he was still on guard.
After last Christmas I took the decision not to mix them again. She doesn't listen enough or do as she's told, so its almost impossible. Plus no matter who's fault it was, should Barney go further than snapping I know for a fact they would demand he was pts. :'( I won't put him in that position.
He is wary of young girls. Six years and up and he's fine. He adores my friends 8 yr old. Interesting for the first time my friend unexpectedly brought her granddaughter with her who is 5 yesterday. Barney was very wary, we gave Shauna strict instructions. She's very dog friendly and did as we said. I started by getting her to throw treats on the floor for him without eye contact and build up. Within minutes he was taking treats from her, then investigating her and letting her stroke him. It was a very promising start.
Other than my niece (and being wary of young girls) he loves everyone, he's a real soppy date.
Not sure whether this will help you or not.
-
Our Pyrenean Mountain Dog was very dog aggressive when we first got him. But with lots of training and I guess the aging helped too (he is nearly 8 now), he has got a lot better and is now fine as long as the other dog is controlled on lead too. We have recently had an off-lead come up to him and wow, Troy didn't react just politely sniffed and wagged his tail! So things have definitely improved. :D
-
Hiya
hope you get things sorted with Goose ;)
Jock will fight with entire males - but to be honest think it's not aggression in this case more of fighting to be top dog :-\
But must add NOT all entire males - mainly dogs his size
Also My personal experiences with jock have been the other dog starting it - but Jock has invited it cos he is so interested in the other dogs rear
(blimey hope this makes sense as it's nearly 5am and just logged on quick before i go off to airport, will catch you when I get back ;))
-
I have never had an aggressive dog, only an aggressive bitch ph34r Sheba, our last dog, was unpredictably aggressive towards strangers and small-furries :'(
In what other situations has Goose shown aggression? Molo has had the odd spate with other dogs, and there are some dogs that he positively dislikes (he never starts anything, but bears a grudge ::)) - but I wouldn't use the label aggressive to describe him - I consider it to be normal dog behaviour ;)
-
Hurley is an unnuetered male and is not aggressive at all. I have only ever heard him growl with intent once and that was when our kitten approached him when he had an enormous bone :lol:
He really is absolutely fine in ALL situations although I did worry a few months ago when he seemed to be getting in to trouble with other dogs but I know now that is/was normal doggy behaviour as opposed to aggression. He is not very tolerant of big dogs jumping on him ::) when they are trying to play and he will tell them off - but he is all mouth and no trousers, and he can be a bit of a grump with some puppies particularly if he or they are restricted on leads. He is wary of little kids but will bark as opposed to growl/air snap/raise his lip.
Hurley is very vocal as it is anyway - even when I put his lead on he growls but it is with excitement as opposed to meaning something nasty.
Obviously I have never intentionally pushed Hurley into a situation where I think he might or could have the propensity to bite but I can honestly say in the last 14 months of owning him - no matter what situation he has been in he has never ever shown true aggression towards me or another dog. :angel: Lets hope it stays that way!!
-
Puppy Honey has not shown any signs of aggressiveness at all!
Molly on the other hand is only aggressive when she is scared! I wouldn't say she would hurt anyone its just when a stranger comes into the house she will bark constantly at them and run to her bed. If they approach her she growls! I really don't like it when she does this and it upsets me but have no idea how to resolve it!
While i was out the other night my Dad babysat the kids and i got a delivery (Josh's new bed for new house :D). Dad put Honey behind the babygate and tried to get Molly to go there too but she hid in her bed, barking and growling - he reached down to pick her up and she let her glands off ::) all over her new bed!! I am pretty sure she is just very scared as she has never gone for anyone!
Molly is also aggressive towards Honey if she doesn't want her too close!
-
Woofie is the softest dog I know. He likes everyone and has never ever shown any aggression except for when Maddie joined our household and tried to take his beloved bone away - first time I had ever heard him growl.
Maddie is another matter, she is a little bully in the house with Woofie but very fearful around people who come to the house and other dogs and shows this by growling/barking aggressively and showing her teeth (even my parents who visit fairly regularly). We have overcome this by ignoring her and by the end of the visit she is getting curious enough to come close to them (on her terms) for a stroke. She has never ever bitten or nipped anyone though. I get upset that other people don't see the loving playful side of her that we see.
She desperately needs more socialisation with other dogs, we had a mini breakthrough at the weekend when we met two other dogs at the park and she actually joined in playing with them - I know it might seem really silly but I was ecstatic.
-
In what other situations has Goose shown aggression? Molo has had the odd spate with other dogs, and there are some dogs that he positively dislikes (he never starts anything, but bears a grudge ::)) - but I wouldn't use the label aggressive to describe him - I consider it to be normal dog behaviour ;)
Mine are like this and like you I don't think my dogs are aggressive. There was a 4mo old gsd yesterday who was jumping all over them and biting really heard --- --- now at 4mo he was twice as large as any of mine. Ruby will tell dogs off but if dog is quite aggressive like the terriers we often meet on the Taff Trail she will try to run away.
-
Byron is quite the macho and just basically wants to be top dog. This behaviour became noticeable when we got Holly (Byron was 2). He does get into the odd tiff with other males when we're out walking but (until now :D) it's been all bark and no bite and has never amounted to anything other than the dogs having words and then going their separate ways.
Molo has had the odd spate with other dogs, and there are some dogs that he positively dislikes (he never starts anything, but bears a grudge ::)) - but I wouldn't use the label aggressive to describe him - I consider it to be normal dog behaviour ;)
Much the same with Byron.
Holly loves everyone and everything - except cats, which she hates with a passion. >:D
Mac has never shown any aggression whatsoever but then he's only seven months old.
-
None what so ever here
-
Bella has fear aggression towards certain dogs, generally it's if they charge over to her without the proper doggie etiquette and then she'll react by air-snapping at them. With some large dogs if she spots them her tail goes up immediately and she'll start barking (I usually manage to nip this in the bud by just keeping an eye on her tail position and as soon as I see it go up, I call her to me and distract her).
Her fear aggression stems from having been attacked 4 times by staffie/bull terrier types in her first year. She was for a while aggressive towards any dog falling into that category (she would actually cross the park to go and do her "come on then if you're 'ard enough!!!" routine with them), but thankfully after months and months of work she no longer does this.
Zorro's arrival has helped to calm her down as he is very good with other dogs and will also go and back her up if she's looking worried. We've recently had a set back as a Rottie harrassed them both, the owner refused to call it off, and when we put the dogs back in the car the Rottie the paced round and round, jumping up at the windows, frothing at the mouth and scaring them both silly >:D >:D. So with big dogs Bella is now quite frightened again but we're working on it.
The only time Zorro ever growls at another dog is if it tries to take his ball.
-
I have never had an aggressive dog, only an aggressive bitch ph34r Sheba, our last dog, was unpredictably aggressive towards strangers and small-furries :'(
In what other situations has Goose shown aggression? Molo has had the odd spate with other dogs, and there are some dogs that he positively dislikes (he never starts anything, but bears a grudge ::)) - but I wouldn't use the label aggressive to describe him - I consider it to be normal dog behaviour ;)
He is only started to be grumpy around other male dogs as is extremely protective towards me when other male dogs are around. I am currently working on him at the moment with and around other big male dogs in different situations. I think it is because he is the only male surrounded by female company and he thinks he is top boy. Its not every single male dog though it seems to be a random behaviour as he is fine with some male dogs than others. Oh well I will have to keep working away with him as he is not going to be allowed to continue this as other dog owners can be quite scared when male dogs behave like this (it doesnt frighten me as I know they cool off eventually) but it could eventually turn nasty if he meets a dog that is more than a match for him (little toad) >:D ;)
-
He is only started to be grumpy around other male dogs as is extremely protective towards me when other male dogs are around. I am currently working on him at the moment with and around other big male dogs in different situations. I think it is because he is the only male surrounded by female company and he thinks he is top boy.
Have you worked out what type of aggression it is? You mention protection and dominance, which are both different types of aggression but could it be resource guarding (i.e. you) ?
I know they each have to be handled very differently when it comes to behaviour modification; but it can be really hard to work out what type of aggression is being shown, especially when it is inconsistent behaviour ;)
-
He is only started to be grumpy around other male dogs as is extremely protective towards me when other male dogs are around. I am currently working on him at the moment with and around other big male dogs in different situations. I think it is because he is the only male surrounded by female company and he thinks he is top boy.
Have you worked out what type of aggression it is? You mention protection and dominance, which are both different types of aggression but could it be resource guarding (i.e. you) ?
I know they each have to be handled very differently when it comes to behaviour modification; but it can be really hard to work out what type of aggression is being shown, especially when it is inconsistent behaviour ;)
Its more dominance than protection. He is currently in therapy :005: ;)
-
Mine are pretty much like Nicola's...in a word no. Buttons did shock me once when she had a go at Rhona's Sam ph34r but in her defence he did keep sniffing her fandago and it was just a warning ;) apart from that I have never witnessed them being any way aggressive to people or other dogs. Gracie can be a bit possesive which has got a bit worse since Lola came on the scene, it's mostly with toys NEVER food. Basically she's like a toddler that's now having to share all her toys with a new baby and she isn't particulalrly happy about it and she has started guarding toys ::) It has never got serious though and considering the punishment Lola gives her....and I DO mean 24/7 punishment I don't blame her, in fact I WISH she would show some dominance and pin Lola to the floor and assert a bit of authority over her but she really hasn't got it in her which is a shame as she's definitely moving to the bottom of the pack :-\ I'm just back off holiday and this has been their first time in Kennels, all be it with a friend but Gracie has lost a fair bit of weight which I put down to the fact that she's had to spend 24/7 with Lola with no means of escape and this has caused a bit of stress for her.
-
In what other situations has Goose shown aggression? Molo has had the odd spate with other dogs, and there are some dogs that he positively dislikes (he never starts anything, but bears a grudge ::)) - but I wouldn't use the label aggressive to describe him - I consider it to be normal dog behaviour ;)
Mine are like this and like you I don't think my dogs are aggressive. There was a 4mo old gsd yesterday who was jumping all over them and biting really heard --- --- now at 4mo he was twice as large as any of mine. Ruby will tell dogs off but if dog is quite aggressive like the terriers we often meet on the Taff Trail she will try to run away.
same here with jarvis - would not call that aggressive - just canine communication.
so when Goose 'flew' at this dog was there biting? I need to get an idea of what you feel is aggressive because people vary so much on this point....
-
He is only started to be grumpy around other male dogs as is extremely protective towards me when other male dogs are around. I am currently working on him at the moment with and around other big male dogs in different situations. I think it is because he is the only male surrounded by female company and he thinks he is top boy.
Have you worked out what type of aggression it is? You mention protection and dominance, which are both different types of aggression but could it be resource guarding (i.e. you) ?
I know they each have to be handled very differently when it comes to behaviour modification; but it can be really hard to work out what type of aggression is being shown, especially when it is inconsistent behaviour ;)
Its more dominance than protection. He is currently in therapy :005: ;)
-
Jet my Lab shows aggression mostly when he can,t see whats coming ie: through the door, down the stairs he's a rescue so already had these issues when I got him.
It is mostly shown towards my kids he,s fine with strangers coming in the house. He has never bitten and they mostly ignore this behaviour. He is fine with other dogs, he does show dominance towards Oscar my pup even tried to hump him this week he,s never done that before :o
They are both going through obediance training at the moment which I hope will help me with more control Jet is 7 years old and already does a great down stay for over 20 minutes my plan is to put him in a down when he shows aggression to let him know he is not allowed to behave that way and I,m in charge not him.
cas.
-
with other dogs, barkley will air-snap, growl and bark if he feels threatened. he has never, to my knowledge, bitten another dog and is nearly always very submissive to begin with when other dogs approach but if the dog doesn't leave him alone and he clearly feels intimidated these days he will get very vocal and tell them off. i'm pretty sure this is fear induced as he is very wary around strange dogs.
with people, the only two he has ever snapped at are myself and my OH, when we have pushed him too far in our ignorance and not seen the warning signs. neither of us have ever been properly bitten- when he has caught our skin it's been deliberately mild. he will growl at us and air snap if he feels he needs to but we are wiser now and so this hasn't happened for months. :)
with everyone else he is totally gentle but will bark at people who behave unusually when we're out and about.
-
In what other situations has Goose shown aggression? Molo has had the odd spate with other dogs, and there are some dogs that he positively dislikes (he never starts anything, but bears a grudge ::)) - but I wouldn't use the label aggressive to describe him - I consider it to be normal dog behaviour ;)
Mine are like this and like you I don't think my dogs are aggressive. There was a 4mo old gsd yesterday who was jumping all over them and biting really heard --- --- now at 4mo he was twice as large as any of mine. Ruby will tell dogs off but if dog is quite aggressive like the terriers we often meet on the Taff Trail she will try to run away.
same here with jarvis - would not call that aggressive - just canine communication.
so when Goose 'flew' at this dog was there biting? I need to get an idea of what you feel is aggressive because people vary so much on this point....
No biting just top dog stuff, this was a young dog of only 6 months. Goose was sitting as he does when told, the pup came to me and goose flew at him. It was a bit of a difficult situation as the owner of the pup (my friend was interviening) where I would have gone off with them on a walk and left them to just go about stuff. Goose I dont think would have hurt him, I also dont get stressed in these situations as I know dogs do initially have a wee grump and moan, but my fear is that Goose is trying to be dominant (which was a natural thing in the situation he was in) . We are working with him on different tactics and situations. I need to nip it in the bud to a certain extent as Goose will be actively working and if he did this at a shoot to another persons dog he could come off worse. I have had him out today with two big entire spaniels today and he was fine, we are also working along with my gun dog trainer this week with some of his male dogs and he has been not too bad. I feel if he gets to understand that there is no point in all this aggressive stuff he will calm down. Its not like he is not well socialised as he see's tonns of other dogs in a week. ;)
-
He is only started to be grumpy around other male dogs as is extremely protective towards me when other male dogs are around. I am currently working on him at the moment with and around other big male dogs in different situations. I think it is because he is the only male surrounded by female company and he thinks he is top boy.
Have you worked out what type of aggression it is? You mention protection and dominance, which are both different types of aggression but could it be resource guarding (i.e. you) ?
I know they each have to be handled very differently when it comes to behaviour modification; but it can be really hard to work out what type of aggression is being shown, especially when it is inconsistent behaviour ;)
I think labeling types of aggression can be a bit of a minefield as there are lots of crossover points where a behaviour could say be resource guarding or fear based for example, however it maybe a combination of the both.
I prefer to take James O Heare's view, which rather than categorising aggression looks at the events and circumstances leading up to the event that cause the episode.You can then work to lower arousal over time in the presence of these stimuli.
I find aggression a fascinating subject having two reactive dogs of my own.
What are you doing with your dogs to combat any aggressive tendencies?
What advice have other COL ers been given?
Mark
-
sorry to butt in on this thread but why do you think that my little Thomas has never even growled at anything but he has had several different dogs have ago at him for no reason??? :huh:
-
He is only started to be grumpy around other male dogs as is extremely protective towards me when other male dogs are around. I am currently working on him at the moment with and around other big male dogs in different situations. I think it is because he is the only male surrounded by female company and he thinks he is top boy.
Have you worked out what type of aggression it is? You mention protection and dominance, which are both different types of aggression but could it be resource guarding (i.e. you) ?
I know they each have to be handled very differently when it comes to behaviour modification; but it can be really hard to work out what type of aggression is being shown, especially when it is inconsistent behaviour ;)
I think labeling types of aggression can be a bit of a minefield as there are lots of crossover points where a behaviour could say be resource guarding or fear based for example, however it maybe a combination of the both.
I prefer to take James O Heare's view, which rather than categorising aggression looks at the events and circumstances leading up to the event that cause the episode.You can then work to lower arousal over time in the presence of these stimuli.
I find aggression a fascinating subject having two reactive dogs of my own.
What are you doing with your dogs to combat any aggressive tendencies?
What advice have other COL ers been given?
Mark
I have a dog that has shown aggression and you helped me deal with a couple of them Mark ;) After the last advice Ben now wears a houseline (not as much as before) ;)
He was very aggressive towards me but that was a guarding thing - after Marks advice (and looking back - the breeders advice) I changed my attitude and Ben has been a stroll in the park ever since (OK exaggeration here - but he has been more of an open book) ;)
He will still show aggression and will bite if another dog gets too near his ball (or anything that he considers his) -- my answer is to get the ball back in my pocket if another dog is near. He has also lost his temper with a dog that just wants to make friends but Ben is a bit intolerent and will give the 'playmate' a good telling off :-\ Unfortunately this has been the lovely Hurley who seems to really like Ben - Ben just doesn't feel the same way :-\
Ben is an only dog and doesn't seem to be able to do the share or toleration thing - there is no way in this life that he will have a brother or sister so ............ any clues on how to get him to share toys or tolerate other dogs when they get on his nerves?
-
He is only started to be grumpy around other male dogs as is extremely protective towards me when other male dogs are around. I am currently working on him at the moment with and around other big male dogs in different situations. I think it is because he is the only male surrounded by female company and he thinks he is top boy.
Have you worked out what type of aggression it is? You mention protection and dominance, which are both different types of aggression but could it be resource guarding (i.e. you) ?
I know they each have to be handled very differently when it comes to behaviour modification; but it can be really hard to work out what type of aggression is being shown, especially when it is inconsistent behaviour ;)
I think labeling types of aggression can be a bit of a minefield as there are lots of crossover points where a behaviour could say be resource guarding or fear based for example, however it maybe a combination of the both.
I prefer to take James O Heare's view, which rather than categorising aggression looks at the events and circumstances leading up to the event that cause the episode.You can then work to lower arousal over time in the presence of these stimuli.
I find aggression a fascinating subject having two reactive dogs of my own.
What are you doing with your dogs to combat any aggressive tendencies?
What advice have other COL ers been given?
Mark
He will still show aggression and will bite if another dog gets too near his ball (or anything that he considers his) -- my answer is to get the ball back in my pocket if another dog is near. He has also lost his temper with a dog that just wants to make friends but Ben is a bit intolerent and will give the 'playmate' a good telling off :-\ Unfortunately this has been the lovely Hurley who seems to really like Ben - Ben just doesn't feel the same way :-\
But Debbie - Hurley just does not get it when Ben doesn't want to play!!! He should take a page from his own book as he has reacted in the same way as Ben to dogs who annoy him in exactly the same way........ Maybe next time he'll learn ;)
-
ellie has never shown a moments aggression. she did used to bully paddy a bit but i wouldn't call it aggression.
paddy would snap if you tried to get him from behind the sofa if he'd pinched something but, if i went to one end(head end) and said something like "aww pads come and give us a kiss" he just couldn't resist but to come out tail wagging and slobber all over my face. he once snapped at my son coz he tried to get hold of his collar to get him out my bedroom. but this was because he didn't want to sleep downstairs.
-
sorry to butt in on this thread but why do you think that my little Thomas has never even growled at anything but he has had several different dogs have ago at him for no reason??? :huh:
I have no answer for that, but wish I did :huh: Crackers was the sweetest, kindest dog ever but something about her just seemed to invite bullying by several dogs. She was not at all giving off fear or submission vibes either, she just happily bustled about her own business not bothering anyone so I never understood it. :-\
-
What are you doing with your dogs to combat any aggressive tendencies?
What advice have other COL ers been given?
Mark
I finally got some great advise off a fab behaviorist ,after wasting well over 6 months following the 'dominance' route which a previous behaviorist advised me to do ::)
Way too much to go into on here, but a great tip is to make stressfull times associated with fun times, as in when we are at the vets, or if the Boyfs mum visits, Betty gets a kong stuffed with garlic sausage :D
Another thing was in work, if someone knocked on my door, Betty would jump up and bark, then I'd grab her and put her lead on, as I know how she'd react when they entered the room.
So she was associating me quickly putting on her lead, with a bad thing (strangers) about to happen. Simple solution...just leave her lead on! Its a safe enviroment to do so, so when she jumps up and barks, I can just calmly place my foot on it :D
We still have a long way to go, she may never be 100% comfortable with strangers...but at least Im trying to manage it better.
-
I can't understand it either really strange poor little man he loves everyone even his half bro has a go at him and his half sis did too not to mention a cancer mascot dog at a show massive choc lab nearly scared me to death ! never mind Tom i just feel really sorry for him :'( :luv:
-
Well today I again took Goose with me. We went on a walk with 2 big entire Springers and Goose was not bothered in the slightest, he was a gentleman. I also took him to the kennels and had him mix with lots of other entire/castrated male dogs and he again has been super. It all seems to be the fact that he is being protective towards my other dogs (girls) so now working round that. Thanks guys for all your replies ;)
-
My two growl and snap when another dog comes too close. Flynn is worse but if he starts then Ludo backs him up and starts barking at the other dog to 'back off'. I took them to adult dog classes recently and gave them treats when another dog approached them and eventually they became calmer around the dogs in the class. However, this has not solved the problem and they're still wary of 'strange' dogs in the park. I am at a total loss now of what to do in the park when this happens. They are too tense to focus on me or the treat I'm holding when in close proximity of an approaching dog.
The trainer in the class (now finished) told me to ignore them when they act up like this but I find this almost impossible to do and it looks to other owners, whose dogs mine are snapping at, like I don't care. I tried this once and the owner of the puppy who got snapped at just glared at me like I was completely irresponsible. Not doing that again! So...back to square one!
-
My two growl and snap when another dog comes too close. Flynn is worse but if he starts then Ludo backs him up and starts barking at the other dog to 'back off'. I took them to adult dog classes recently and gave them treats when another dog approached them and eventually they became calmer around the dogs in the class. However, this has not solved the problem and they're still wary of 'strange' dogs in the park. I am at a total loss now of what to do in the park when this happens. They are too tense to focus on me or the treat I'm holding when in close proximity of an approaching dog.
The trainer in the class (now finished) told me to ignore them when they act up like this but I find this almost impossible to do and it looks to other owners, whose dogs mine are snapping at, like I don't care. I tried this once and the owner of the puppy who got snapped at just glared at me like I was completely irresponsible. Not doing that again! So...back to square one!
If you are referring to off-lead dogs which approach your on-lead dog, then personally, I think it is the owner of the other dogs that need to change their behaviour; they should have their dogs under control and not running up to other dogs :-\
Molo is not good if unknown dogs approach him on lead when we are out walking, and I consider it perfectly acceptable behaviour - he is restrained, unable to interact appropriately due to the lead, and some stranger coming right up to him is bound to be threatening to him so he has every right to tell them to go away ;)
-
My two growl and snap when another dog comes too close. Flynn is worse but if he starts then Ludo backs him up and starts barking at the other dog to 'back off'. I took them to adult dog classes recently and gave them treats when another dog approached them and eventually they became calmer around the dogs in the class. However, this has not solved the problem and they're still wary of 'strange' dogs in the park. I am at a total loss now of what to do in the park when this happens. They are too tense to focus on me or the treat I'm holding when in close proximity of an approaching dog.
The trainer in the class (now finished) told me to ignore them when they act up like this but I find this almost impossible to do and it looks to other owners, whose dogs mine are snapping at, like I don't care. I tried this once and the owner of the puppy who got snapped at just glared at me like I was completely irresponsible. Not doing that again! So...back to square one!
If you are referring to off-lead dogs which approach your on-lead dog, then personally, I think it is the owner of the other dogs that need to change their behaviour; they should have their dogs under control and not running up to other dogs :-\
Molo is not good if unknown dogs approach him on lead when we are out walking, and I consider it perfectly acceptable behaviour - he is restrained, unable to interact appropriately due to the lead, and some stranger coming right up to him is bound to be threatening to him so he has every right to tell them to go away ;)
My experience is with other dogs that are simply passing by are now fair game for my two. Now, all it takes is for a dog to calmy approach them to greet them. I don't think that when my two behave in a snarling/snapping manner to a dog like this then it is acceptable - on or off lead. I agree with you if it's in reaction to a boisterous dog that comes bounding over. But, increasingly, with my two they are starting to become the bullies.
-
My two growl and snap when another dog comes too close. Flynn is worse but if he starts then Ludo backs him up and starts barking at the other dog to 'back off'. I took them to adult dog classes recently and gave them treats when another dog approached them and eventually they became calmer around the dogs in the class. However, this has not solved the problem and they're still wary of 'strange' dogs in the park. I am at a total loss now of what to do in the park when this happens. They are too tense to focus on me or the treat I'm holding when in close proximity of an approaching dog.
The trainer in the class (now finished) told me to ignore them when they act up like this but I find this almost impossible to do and it looks to other owners, whose dogs mine are snapping at, like I don't care. I tried this once and the owner of the puppy who got snapped at just glared at me like I was completely irresponsible. Not doing that again! So...back to square one!
If you are referring to off-lead dogs which approach your on-lead dog, then personally, I think it is the owner of the other dogs that need to change their behaviour; they should have their dogs under control and not running up to other dogs :-\
Molo is not good if unknown dogs approach him on lead when we are out walking, and I consider it perfectly acceptable behaviour - he is restrained, unable to interact appropriately due to the lead, and some stranger coming right up to him is bound to be threatening to him so he has every right to tell them to go away ;)
My experience is with other dogs that are simply passing by are now fair game for my two. Now, all it takes is for a dog to calmy approach them to greet them. I don't think that when my two behave in a snarling/snapping manner to a dog like this then it is acceptable - on or off lead. I agree with you if it's in reaction to a boisterous dog that comes bounding over. But, increasingly, with my two they are starting to become the bullies.
I agree with you off-lead - perhaps you could recall them to avoid the confrontation ? :huh:
On-lead, even a well socialised dog will experience stress no matter how calmly another dog approaches it, and it takes a lot of self-control for the leashed dog to remain calm. I liken it to someone coming up and chatting politely to me while I am gagged and have my hands tied behind my back ph34r
-
Ben shows aggression at a lots of different things - a little like Jan's Billy there does not always seems to be any reason for it?
He is unpredictable and will sometimes mix with dogs fine and other times will snarl and try and bite - usually completely unprovoked. He has bitten me several times, over different issues, particular around guarding food - and i have no doubt in my mind he would bite someone else if they approach him on the wrong day!
He is not consistant and doesn't seem to see certain people as threats, somedays he is waggy and happy and other days he is a grumpy old wotsit - and you can't always tell which is which until he loses it >:D
Sometimes I think it is fear aggression, other days he just looks dominant and bossy. He will bite another dog if they push him, but other times he just makes more noise than anything and does lots of snapping his teeth which I guess should send a fair warning to another dog to clear off!!!
Ben's mum
-
Domino has never shown any form of aggression towards humans; he tends to go up to people , sit at their feet & gaze adoringly up at them, waiting for them to pat him. Like-wise he will let me groom & trim him & clean his teeth although he does squeak if I'm a bit heavy-handed getting matts out. ph34r
However he does sometimes bark at strange dogs; I'm almost certain that it's a lack of confidence; he doesn't like a lot of dogs charging up to him & he has been jumped on a couple of times when he's been on the lead so he's a bit wary - most of the time he's fine & I try to distract him with his ball. There have been a couple of dogs that for some reason he has taken exception to which is irritating at the time but, hey, I don't always like everyone I meet on sight!! ;)
He does behave like a spoilt brat when our house-guest, Rooney, comes to stay; most of the time they are quite good friends but they occasionally have spats over attention-seeking & I was mortified when my friend told me that Rooney had a small puncture wound on his back where supposedly Domino had caught him with his tooth; I couldn't remember the exact occasion as they had never had a bad set-to; just a bit of growling & snapping. Needless to say I apologised profusely on Domino's behalf. ph34r
Spike, like most labs, has never shown a moments aggression to either humans or other dogs; cats & rabbits & any other wildlife he finds are another thing though!! :005:
-
Pringle gets in a right strop if we try to move her from somewhere she doesn't want to be moved from. She will snap and growl at us, so now we make out that something really exciting is happening if we want her to shift.
She also hates having her feet examined and again will snap and growl at us about this. She is fine with other dogs, if a bit wary and absolutely loves other people. It doesn't matter if they come to the house or she sees them out walking she is just full of waggy tails and love. The only humans she is a bit wary of are small children and she will pull away to avoid them, but has never snapped or growled at one.
-
This may have to go on a different thread but here goes!
I walked Ben today and we met about 4 other dogs on the way - all was fine ............... even the overly playful saluki was OK ;) We then trudged over the field to get back to the car when I spotted 2 rottwielers on lead. I called Ben back and clipped him on the lead - no problem. The next thing I saw was a man walking what looked like a Ridgeback off lead - he saw the Rotties and did absolutely nothing. This dog ran very playfully to this man and his dogs ............. all hell broke loose! The Rotties obviously weren't tolerant which was why they were on lead - why the hell didn't the other owner see this and keep his dog under control ::) I'd let Ben back off lead at this point but soon got him back as I worried how he'd react to a huge dog that was out of control :shades:
If I ever approach dogs on lead then I'll do the same with Ben :D
-
:D
-
The Rotties obviously weren't tolerant which was why they were on lead - why the hell didn't the other owner see this and keep his dog under control ::)
Because some dog owners think they have a right to let their dogs bound up to whoever --- and of course the rottie owner will get the blame.
I get fed up of hearing 'oh my dog is lovely and just wants to play with them and they shouldn't be walking on the park at all if their dogs don't like other dogs'
-
Yes Coco, shows aggression to people he's not sure of, he'll growl, show his teeth and lunge forward, but not actually grab hold. Also just this morning I had to throw him into a down to correct him, he decided he was going to fight another male dog, which I will not allow.
I think this stems from being with his parents till he was four months old, the couple let Coco's mother come in freely but they held onto the father. I seem to think the dog was aggressive and Coco was bullied. I'm trying to sort his problems out. He nips with excitement, to get attention or when putting it mildly he's knackered, but he just will not give in I have never seen him settle down for more than half hour max.
-
None what so ever.
-
nope mine are Friendly :luv:
(http://www.bellamedenas.com/FWThumbnails/another%20friend-thumb.png)(http://www.bellamedenas.com/FWThumbnails/friends-thumb.png)
thats Freddi and Bruci meeting some dogs that just bounded over must take my camera with me more often theres a beautiful newfie and Irish wolf hound they play with :luv:
Oh Luvly, I'm so jealous. I do wish mine were that relaxed around other dogs. :-\
-
we used to have a straight Black Cocker Spaniel, fantastic looking dog, but at 6 mths old he started to become aggresive towards my youngest Daughter 10yrs old, then after a couple of attacks he started on me and my wife, never showed much interest in my other 2 kids both teenagers so did'nt see them that much, either out or in bed!!!.
We had to let him go, he went back to where we got him from and they re-homed him with a farmer, he works him , he can now be a Dog instead of a pet. I understand he has bitten since though.
-
I'd have to put Tizzy in the 'i love everyone' category. The only thing she's ever really barked at was when a hot air balloon flew right over our house, on its way to crash landing in the school field up the road. She woo-wooed for all she was worth and even growled.
But on the whole she loves everything and everyone, even the vets and nurses that were doing horrid things to her when she was nearly dismembered by a GSD as a puppy!
She even still loves German Shepherds! (although probably not that one).
Ali
-
Never ever. Loves everyone and all dogs. We chose him carefully through the cocker club and socialised him thoroughly as a puppy and have always given treates to get things he steals. no idea is these things made a difference though or if he was always destined to be soppy.
-
This may have to go on a different thread but here goes!
I walked Ben today and we met about 4 other dogs on the way - all was fine ............... even the overly playful saluki was OK ;) We then trudged over the field to get back to the car when I spotted 2 rottwielers on lead. I called Ben back and clipped him on the lead - no problem. The next thing I saw was a man walking what looked like a Ridgeback off lead - he saw the Rotties and did absolutely nothing. This dog ran very playfully to this man and his dogs ............. all hell broke loose! The Rotties obviously weren't tolerant which was why they were on lead - why the hell didn't the other owner see this and keep his dog under control ::) I'd let Ben back off lead at this point but soon got him back as I worried how he'd react to a huge dog that was out of control :shades:
If I ever approach dogs on lead then I'll do the same with Ben :D
Oh God I do try and stick with this rule I promise but If Glen spots the dogs onlead at the same time or before me it all then depends on wether he is in a deaf mood or not. I live in fear of the day he starts a fight by approaching the wrong people buthe is getting better and 9/10 times I can distract him and get him back to me. :embarassed:
-
Bailey has been very aggressive. a long story - see my post ' is this the end for my boy?'. The vet suggested we put him to sleep in March of this year. He's just had his 6th birthday. We are still working very hard to solve this.
-
Pringle gets in a right strop if we try to move her from somewhere she doesn't want to be moved from. She will snap and growl at us, so now we make out that something really exciting is happening if we want her to shift.
She also hates having her feet examined and again will snap and growl at us about this. She is fine with other dogs, if a bit wary and absolutely loves other people. It doesn't matter if they come to the house or she sees them out walking she is just full of waggy tails and love. The only humans she is a bit wary of are small children and she will pull away to avoid them, but has never snapped or growled at one.
Maddie does this too! If she is in a place that she does not want to be moved from she will growl. Occassionally she will growl if she has a bone and then other times she will let you take it off her with no fuss, it tends to be late at night that she growls with the bone. Maddie will growl at one of my sister's dogs when I am telling the other dog to stop jumping up at me, it's as if Maddie is telling the other dog off or she is protecting me.
The rest of the time she is beautiful and let's me look at her teeth, tickle her tummy, play with her feet and ears :luv:
-
Just caught this thread.
Yes Sam can be aggressive and is still guarding things he steals or treats, not his food that I give him.
Last night I gave him a pigs ear after the kids were in bed and he went behind the settee with it but did not eat it. I looked at him to see what he was doing and he started growling and snapping towards me. (I might add that I had not moved off my chair just turned around) I had to wait until he came out to move the pigs ear or he would have sat there growling at me all night.
He is also extremely stressed when people come to the house, especially children. I find this strange as he has always lived with children and has never been abused by them.
I am using a TTouch calming band for the barking and body wrap for the stress but when I do this he just goes in a mood and sulks.
I have ordered a copy of Mine and am considering using some sort of medication to calm him when I am expecting visitors as I am convinced it is fear......any ideas anyone
-
I moved in with a girlfriend a while ago who had a cocker.
He was a great little guy when she wasnt around and would be my shadow, but as soon as she was back he would follow her around and growl if I went anywhere near them.
My ex (now) would tell him off but he didnt care and would slink off outside until it was safe to return.
*The times I noted he was his worst was when he had something over him. As in under a chair, her legs if she was on the couch or under the bed. When out in the open he was ok.
*He would stare at me everywhere I went if he was next to her and if I made eye contact he would growl. Rarely a soft growl but more a vicious junkyard dog growl!
*if I got out of bed in the morning and he was under it and I woke him up, he would snap at my heels.
*if she dropped me off in the car, as the car drove away he would go nuts at me and if the window was down he would try to attack me. I once tried to pat him through the window and he drew blood. Lesson learnt that time.
I was the only one who copped the treatment but I thought and still think he is a champion. He didnt like me in his territory but when she wasnt home (which was a lot for work) he was my best mate and we had a great time together.
Cheers
Damian
-
I do have a problem with Paddy - he appears not to like one of my friends - and this is a very recent thing so still working on it - he bit her (not badly) which shocked us all - cos she spends a lot of time giving him attention and 2 minutes later she went over when he was sleeping and he growled at her and as she never moved bit her..
Just the other day a similar situation he was playing in her house with her and I took his bed round and sent him to his bed - and then 10 mins later she went to pet him and he growled - I told her to move away straight away and she went and sat down- he then got up picked up a toy and went to her for a pat!. CONFUSING...
Other than that he is excellent with other dogs - I am careful about him being off the lead and use the rule that if the other dog is on the lead Paddy goes back on his too.
He has been great with kids too - but at the moment I am watching him like a hawk - I do know he is protective of chews so he doesnt get them anymore and he has some old bones about but I take them away if there is any visitors - just in case..
Work in Progress with my mate tho.. Dont trust him at all at the moment
Such a sooky petted dog tho otherwise..
-
I do have a problem with Paddy - he appears not to like one of my friends - and this is a very recent thing so still working on it - he bit her (not badly) which shocked us all - cos she spends a lot of time giving him attention and 2 minutes later she went over when he was sleeping and he growled at her and as she never moved bit her..
Just the other day a similar situation he was playing in her house with her and I took his bed round and sent him to his bed - and then 10 mins later she went to pet him and he growled - I told her to move away straight away and she went and sat down- he then got up picked up a toy and went to her for a pat!. CONFUSING...
Other than that he is excellent with other dogs - I am careful about him being off the lead and use the rule that if the other dog is on the lead Paddy goes back on his too.
He has been great with kids too - but at the moment I am watching him like a hawk - I do know he is protective of chews so he doesnt get them anymore and he has some old bones about but I take them away if there is any visitors - just in case..
Work in Progress with my mate tho.. Dont trust him at all at the moment
Such a sooky petted dog tho otherwise..
But why does your friend disturb him in his bed? He should be allowed to have peace there. I know I'm grumpy if disturbed when I want to sleep....
-
We know thats a problem thats easy fixed - he had a dog you could do anything to
We do have other probs which are not so eay fixed tho
-
Yes. It started out with small things - little growls when told to get off - stealling OUR things - chewing them up if she was really annoyed, weeing and poo-ing if locked out of the room, howling if left out other dog/s getting attention etc.. Since her first [and only] season she became very aggressive to our slightly younger Elkhound - this improved for a while but has since reverted - got to keep them separated again as Elkie now will not tolerate even a dirty look. Never imagined cockers were like this. Thibnk we, the owners invite trouble by spoiling the cute little bundles so they go on demanding everything and also never learn to stand up for themselves in a confident way or - I think most importantly - learn that some behaviours are simply not acceptable - no matter how cute they are. Ours now doesn't show overt signs of aggresstion to us but will still occassionally take our things and chew them up if she's annoyed about something. This sounds crazy - even to me - it's like I'm humanising her - but this is exactly what it seems like. Its getting so bad now that I'm finding it increasingly difficult to like her - and I realy love all dogs.
-
Well Louis is no longer a virgin in the biting world! He drew blood on my brother in laws hand at the weekend. Although we have had challenges with Louis behaviour over the last 11 yrs with regard to challenging my husband (think it would have been more effective to castrate my husband not Louis :005:) and pinching things and NOT giving them back whatever, he has never actually bitten so this shocked me, never mind my brother in law! In all fairness to Louis my BIL against instruction put a sandwhich on the floor, obviously Louis thought "I am having that". He is on steroids and constantly hungry which my BIL is aware of including his liver troubles. Anyway, the BIL tried to pick it up quickly as Louis snatched at it with his mouth, hence the 3 cuts on fingers >:D To be honest I didn't know who to be more angry at Louis or the BIL for disregarding instruction. I wouldn't mind Louis wasn't even phased by it he just continued scouting the floor for any stray crumbs >:D