CockersOnline Forum

Cocker Specific Discussion => Grooming => Topic started by: Trischie on August 25, 2007, 03:03:14 PM

Title: I clipped Oscar
Post by: Trischie on August 25, 2007, 03:03:14 PM
Hi all!

Thanks for all your grooming and clipper-choosing help these last few months.

Yesterday was my birthday and all dog-grooming equipment arrived as requested. So this morning, Oscar was brushed, bathed, trimmed, clippered etc. etc. and here is the finished result!

(http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd17/trischie/IMG_2985.jpg)

(http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd17/trischie/IMG_2983.jpg)

Hope the resizing worked this time!

I think the finished result is ok, though I clippered all the top of his head, which looks a bit like a skin-head now. The only bit I was very unsure of, was his chest - I had the clipper (Moser adjustable from 0,3mm to 3mm) set about stage two and went up from his chest bone to his neck! I got a real shock, because he looked quite nacked there then! He's white on that bit,  so his "blotches" shone through. I finished it off though,  and clippered all his front up to his neck and under his ears.

Was that the right way to do it, or should I have done his chest differently, or maybe more narrowly? Couldn't get a good pic of his chest, sorry.

I'm happy for any tips or constructive critisicm.

Love Chris & Oscar
Title: Re: I clipped Oscar
Post by: jools on August 25, 2007, 03:05:55 PM
Chris, I think Oscar looks fantastic (and I think he knows it  :005:) You've made a great job.

I love Oscar  :luv: That white bit in his ear is sooooooo cute
Title: Re: I clipped Oscar
Post by: Teisen_bach on August 25, 2007, 03:12:06 PM
Im really new to all this and i have know idea if what youve done looks 'right' but i do know that Oscar looks fantastic....very smart and healthy so well done  :D
Title: Re: I clipped Oscar
Post by: Beth on August 25, 2007, 03:19:00 PM
Chris, I think Oscar looks fantastic (and I think he knows it  :005:) You've made a great job.

I love Oscar  :luv: That white bit in his ear is sooooooo cute

I was going to say all of that! ::) :lol:

I love white ears on spaniels, they look so different. :luv:
Title: Re: I clipped Oscar
Post by: lolamum on August 25, 2007, 03:54:53 PM
I think he looks great. mmm might have to put mine in the post to you when she is ready for trimming. :005: Is that his first trim that you have done?
Title: Re: I clipped Oscar
Post by: Boof on August 25, 2007, 03:57:13 PM
Oscar looks fabulous - well done!  :D
Title: Re: I clipped Oscar
Post by: Trischie on August 25, 2007, 05:26:57 PM
Yep, that's the first time I've done it all myself, though I have been snipping here and there myself sometimes. It's the first time I attempted a face, ear and neck cut with the clippers - that's what I was most worried about.

Glad you all like the results.

Chris & Co.
Title: Re: I clipped Oscar
Post by: JaspersMum on August 25, 2007, 06:12:40 PM
He looks really smart, its a good feeling isn't it - I've just clipped Jasper for the first time and was really pleased that he still looked like a cocker, and after the only 2 visits to groomers who I thought made a real hash of the job, I convinced myself he couldn't be worse.

Look at how your clippers are going to save you loads of cash from now on, worth every euro!  ;)
Title: Re: I clipped Oscar
Post by: Cazzie on August 25, 2007, 06:16:31 PM
Gosh he's smart  :shades: , what lovely markings he has he is a wee cracker  :luv:
Title: Re: I clipped Oscar
Post by: spanielcrazy on August 26, 2007, 02:13:02 AM
Excellent job!  :D  You should be proud of yourself  ;)


The only bit I was very unsure of, was his chest - I had the clipper (Moser adjustable from 0,3mm to 3mm) set about stage two and went up from his chest bone to his neck! I got a real shock, because he looked quite nacked there then!

Set it on 1mm and go in the same direction as the hair growth, from the throat down. It will be nice and smooth but look less harsh and naked. Any time you clipper against the hair it will be much shorter than going with it. The only places I clip against the growth is on muzzles, chins (stretch out the bottom lip with your free hand to get those long hairs in the lip fold, very helpful for keeping it clean and preventing infection) and inside the ear, around the ear canal.

If you stand in front of him and lift his chin, you'll see a V shaped "seam", where the hair changes directions, that runs from underneath and slightly behind the ear to the breastbone. That is what you want to clip, stopping just above the breastbone.

Here are pics of a Springer being done (but she is going against the hair in the photo of the throat, go with the hair) but it will give you the idea.

http://www.ariel-ess.com/groom/springer1.html


Congratulations!  :shades:
Title: Re: I clipped Oscar
Post by: Trischie on August 26, 2007, 10:32:34 AM
Thanks for the help with his chest - I'll know what to do next time. Luckily, his long ears cover up most of the damage and it should grow back soon.

I'll also do the top of his head with the trimmer scissors next time - he's looking very bald this morning! Hope it grows soon and looks a bit softer!
Title: Re: I clipped Oscar
Post by: JaspersMum on August 26, 2007, 10:54:50 AM
Thanks for the help with his chest - I'll know what to do next time. Luckily, his long ears cover up most of the damage and it should grow back soon.

I'll also do the top of his head with the trimmer scissors next time - he's looking very bald this morning! Hope it grows soon and looks a bit softer!


After a week, Jaspers had already softened up, so had Louies leg where I forgot which blade I had on and scalped him  ph34r  :005:
Title: Re: I clipped Oscar
Post by: Beth on August 26, 2007, 11:00:50 AM
Thanks for the help with his chest - I'll know what to do next time. Luckily, his long ears cover up most of the damage and it should grow back soon.

I'll also do the top of his head with the trimmer scissors next time - he's looking very bald this morning! Hope it grows soon and looks a bit softer!


After a week, Jaspers had already softened up, so had Louies leg where I forgot which blade I had on and scalped him  ph34r  :005:

I made some horrific mistakes with Jarvis the first few tines i did him. :005: It does grow fast though. (Thank goodness! :lol:) It's taken me about 4/5 cuts to get it where i'm happy first go. :D
Title: Re: I clipped Oscar
Post by: shane on September 01, 2007, 10:12:25 PM
I THINK YOUVE DONE A GREAT JOB WITH OSCAR HE LOOKS BRILL