CockersOnline Forum

Cocker Specific Discussion => Grooming => Topic started by: Jan/Billy on August 29, 2007, 02:43:20 PM

Title: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
Post by: Jan/Billy on August 29, 2007, 02:43:20 PM
When I brush Billy's ears I sometimes notice a bit of flakiness around the actual end on the ear. I presumed it was just dried dirt & mud & usually just brush it out. However today whilst brushing his ears he was making noises and really enjoying the brush. His back leg started going in excitement when i got to the ends. I soon realised that the more I brushed the more flakes appeared  :o I don't think it's dirt i think it's very flaky skin  :-\

He's had this once before, his groomer said it was a kind of fungus caused by wet ears. I think it's come back only this time it looks quite bad & he loves having it itched.The skin near the ends looks very flaky  :-\


How can I get rid of this? I have some seleen shampoo will that help?  :huh:
Title: Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
Post by: bonnie blue on August 29, 2007, 05:23:22 PM
Hi i am glad to hear that this is quite a common problem Maisie had it last year it was horrid and the smell was yuk I used Masleb from vet but i suppose and anti bacterial shampoo will do the trick there was another thread about it too .Hope you get on ok and your little ones ears clear up  ;)
Title: Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
Post by: Jan/Billy on August 29, 2007, 05:25:55 PM
thanks. His ears are wet every day so i hope it's not going to be difficult to get rid of it.

How long did it take for yours to go away?  :huh:
Title: Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
Post by: PennyB on August 30, 2007, 10:43:20 AM
I have same problem as well sometimes (always Wilf and never Ruby ::)) --- doesn't take long to rectify once you start using the malasseb
Title: Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
Post by: AnnieG on August 30, 2007, 12:50:48 PM
I found that Head and Shoulders works just as well as Malaseb on the milder cases and is a lot cheaper.  You need to dilute it first, though.  My old vet says that some of the really pricy anti-flakiness/dandruff shampoo sold by vets is chemically just the same as Head and Shoulders (or Bonce and Paw as it is known in this household).  :005: :005:
Title: Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
Post by: Beth on August 30, 2007, 04:48:40 PM
I use lush's "soak 'n' float" anti dandruff/anti fungal shampoo bar, it smells like tar but sorts Jarvis' ears out. (He gets flakey all the time ::) but this stuff keeps it at bay for longer than anything else i've tried.) A good thing about lush is alot of the ingredients are natural too. :D
Title: Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
Post by: AnnieM on August 31, 2007, 02:25:10 PM
Like I really need another excuse to go into Lush.  :005:  I already spend far too much money in that shop.  ::)

I hope you manage to sort out Billy ears.  ;)
Title: Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
Post by: Beth on August 31, 2007, 02:31:23 PM
Like I really need another excuse to go into Lush.  :005:  I already spend far too much money in that shop.  ::)

I never go in myself anymore, i have to send other people in with a list for me, ph34r if i go in i come back out with a shed load of stuff and no money left! :005:

I really do recommend that shampoo for whiffy ears though ;) :lol:
Title: Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
Post by: Dessie on September 10, 2007, 09:23:47 PM
When I brush Billy's ears I sometimes notice a bit of flakiness around the actual end on the ear. I presumed it was just dried dirt & mud & usually just brush it out. However today whilst brushing his ears he was making noises and really enjoying the brush. His back leg started going in excitement when i got to the ends. I soon realised that the more I brushed the more flakes appeared  :o I don't think it's dirt i think it's very flaky skin  :-\

He's had this once before, his groomer said it was a kind of fungus caused by wet ears. I think it's come back only this time it looks quite bad & he loves having it itched.The skin near the ends looks very flaky  :-\

How can I get rid of this? I have some seleen shampoo will that help?  :huh:

Hi Jan/Billy

Douglas used to get this off and on it's a form of wet excema (sp) and because Cockers ears are nearly always wet this is why they get it.  Jane S recommended using Ekoneem cream which stinks to high heaven of onions but it does work.

HTH

Dessie
Title: Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
Post by: BigJim&Kate on September 10, 2007, 10:24:36 PM
Hi Jan/Billy

Douglas used to get this off and on it's a form of wet excema (sp) and because Cockers ears are nearly always wet this is why they get it.  Jane S recommended using Ekoneem cream which stinks to high heaven of onions but it does work.

HTH

Dessie

Hi Dessie,

The Ekoneem cream, could you tell me where you got it from please? Bails suffers from this quite frequently

Many thanks
Kate
Title: Re: Flakiness in his ears. Is this a fungus?
Post by: Jan/Billy on September 10, 2007, 11:02:11 PM
Hi Jan/Billy

Douglas used to get this off and on it's a form of wet excema (sp) and because Cockers ears are nearly always wet this is why they get it.  Jane S recommended using Ekoneem cream which stinks to high heaven of onions but it does work.

HTH

Dessie


Yes I'd like to know too please Dessie

cheers  :D

Hi Dessie,

The Ekoneem cream, could you tell me where you got it from please? Bails suffers from this quite frequently

Many thanks
Kate