CockersOnline Forum

Cocker Specific Discussion => Behaviour & Training => Topic started by: NikkiG on August 29, 2007, 10:28:03 PM

Title: Trying to suckle toy pheasant
Post by: NikkiG on August 29, 2007, 10:28:03 PM
Bruno is 14 weeks old now and I have noticed he is trying to suckle on his toy pheasant. This isn't a new toy and he's quite reluctant to let you touch it ( not growling or anything) but as he's suckling he wants to lay on you, paws paddling with eyes closed. Then he appears to be trying to hump it  :o. Is this normal behaviour  :huh:.
Title: Re: Trying to suckle toy pheasant
Post by: Cazzie on August 29, 2007, 10:31:49 PM
Goose was bought a toy pheasant by his aunty Nicola  :luv: He loevs it but daisy my JRT tore the stuffing out of it  :'( He still loves it though and will take it to my bed and lie on it as a comforter  :luv: :005:
Title: Re: Trying to suckle toy pheasant
Post by: Joules on August 29, 2007, 10:35:08 PM
Aaaaw, Bruno is just a baby - he is probably still missing his mum  :luv: :luv:  One of my kittens Ronnie used to do this to my sleeves and make them all soggy -  he still sometimes does it now at nearly a year old  ::)  I wouldn't worry about it too much at this stage - he is still very young and it sounds he is just using it as a comforter - I am sure he will grow out of it  ;)
Title: Re: Trying to suckle toy pheasant
Post by: NikkiG on August 29, 2007, 10:35:53 PM
I just wondered if he was feeling a bit insecure, missing his litter and mum. Not got a problem with it just wondered why he might be doing this. Lol he takes it where ever he goes.
Title: Re: Trying to suckle toy pheasant
Post by: Joules on August 29, 2007, 10:37:19 PM
I just wondered if he was feeling a bit insecure, missing his litter and mum. Not got a problem with it just wondered why he might be doing this. Lol he takes it where ever he goes.
 
Yes, I expect it is exactly that - I am sure he will get more settled and confident as time goes on.  :D  The first few weeks are a lot to deal with for a little pup  :-\  :luv:
Title: Re: Trying to suckle toy pheasant
Post by: White Bryony on August 29, 2007, 10:46:57 PM
At age 3, Maddie still curls up in a ball on a blanket, she sucks on the blanket and paws at it as though in a trance.  I thought she might grow out of it but she has always done it  since we got her at 8 months  ph34r