CockersOnline Forum

Cocker Specific Discussion => Puppies => Topic started by: Heidi on September 05, 2007, 10:07:26 AM

Title: Vaccinations and going outside
Post by: Heidi on September 05, 2007, 10:07:26 AM
I'm bringing Heidi for her booster vaccinations tomorrow evening. Does anyone know how long I'll have to wait before bringing her out/socialising her? I want to bring her over to my parents to hang out with their dogs, but am not sure when this will be safe? :-\
Title: Re: Vaccinations and going outside
Post by: Aearoniel on September 05, 2007, 10:19:39 AM
With a pup you usually have two rounds of injections two weeks apart then a week after that they can go out. So it goes:

1st injection
2weeks
2nd Injection
1 Week
Out and about! yey

Ask your vet when he/she would be happy with her being out as dependant on where you are Parvo and other diseases may be more prevalent and therefore you could be told to wait longer.

As to socialisation as long as you know the dog (ie a friend has one or family) and that dog has definately been immunised there is no reason why you can't have them round for a play date in your garden :D
Title: Re: Vaccinations and going outside
Post by: cazza on September 05, 2007, 10:20:49 AM
Right if your parents dogs have had ALL their vacs and are up to date you can take Hedi round as long as you keep in their house garden  ;)

If you want to go out to socialize her that's fine as long as you carry her everywhere until your vet says she can go for walks

Normally most vets reccommend (sp) 7 / 14 days after the second set of their first vacs before a new pup can go out  ;)
Title: Re: Vaccinations and going outside
Post by: Vino tinto ! on September 05, 2007, 10:29:12 AM
Aww bless her ! I am taking Tilly to the vets tonight for her first jab  :'(    so till we can take her out, we are letting her take us round the garden whilst she is holding the lead so she thinks its great fun,just in small doses of course !! Good luck.........
Title: Re: Vaccinations and going outside
Post by: cazza on September 05, 2007, 10:34:34 AM
I took Fern to the pub before her injections - she wasn't put down at all but it did help socialize her  ;) (just one quick drink and then home again  ;) )
Title: Re: Vaccinations and going outside
Post by: Vino tinto ! on September 05, 2007, 10:36:56 AM
what did she have to drink a G & T  or an alcopop   :005:  ????
Title: Re: Vaccinations and going outside
Post by: cazza on September 05, 2007, 10:37:30 AM
what did she have to drink a G & T  or an alcopop   :005:  ????

I had a coke and she had some ice cubes  :005:
Title: Re: Vaccinations and going outside
Post by: Hurtwood Dogs on September 05, 2007, 10:52:02 AM
I'm all up for a bit of risk and getting them out and about as soon as possible... I introduced Dave to vaccinated dogs in their gardens and did take him out and about 4 days after his last jab.  HOWEVER, in theory, Parvo can still be passed on to a non fully vaccinated pup from a fully vaccinated dog if the vaccinated dog has been walking in an area that might have had infected dogs around. I'd take a view on the area you live in or your parents dogs walk in and decide what the risk is. I live in a very low risk area but the vet still cautioned me that she'd had some pups in that had picked up parvo in the last couple of years.

Enjoy your fist day out whenever that is!

Hannah x
Title: Re: Vaccinations and going outside
Post by: cazza on September 05, 2007, 10:56:44 AM
We live in a low parvo area too, my vet actually said I could take Fern out 2 days after her 2nd vac as long as I didn't take her into the village and walked where I normally did the quick morning walk he said it would be fine  ;) (but saying that no other dog owners walk there and the vet knows that - as it's private land)
Title: Re: Vaccinations and going outside
Post by: crazyspaniels on September 05, 2007, 11:08:54 AM
I carried Willow with me everywhere before she had finished her vax's, alot of dogs are under socialised as they dont see the outdoor world until they are 14-15 weeks, they miss out on alot
Title: Re: Vaccinations and going outside
Post by: LurcherGirl on September 05, 2007, 11:38:46 AM
Aww bless her ! I am taking Tilly to the vets tonight for her first jab  :'(    so till we can take her out, we are letting her take us round the garden whilst she is holding the lead so she thinks its great fun,just in small doses of course !! Good luck.........

Do make sure though you take her out and about carrying her in your arms or a puppy pouch/rucksack. This way she can already get used to all the noises and smells and views and only needs to "learn" to walk when she is ready.  ;)

Vera
Title: Re: Vaccinations and going outside
Post by: Heidi on September 05, 2007, 12:26:17 PM
Thanks a million for all the replies. She had her first set of vaccinations on 10th August when she was still with the breeder, her boosters are due before the 10th Sept., and then she'll be okay for the year. I think I'll check with the vet about when she'll be okay to go everywhere and anywhere - didn't know that diseases such as Parvo were more prevalent in some areas than in others.

Also - that's a good point about picking things up off dogs that have been walking around and picking up "germs" wherever they go.
Title: Re: Vaccinations and going outside
Post by: Hurtwood Dogs on September 05, 2007, 04:05:31 PM
Yeah, I didn't realise until recently but seeminly Parvo in particular can survive outside the dogs body for a considerable amount of time and can therefore be carried around and transmitted by a dog that is immune to it...

I still sometimes stick Dave in a rucksack on my front when we're out and about so I can walk further with him and he doesn't mind it at all (you don't have to buy anything special a normal sized rucksack worn on your front instead of your back does just nicely!  :D

Hannah x
Title: Re: Vaccinations and going outside
Post by: jakesmum on September 07, 2007, 09:22:15 AM
I phoned the vet last night as I had heard so many conflicting reports:

Jake is almost 11 weeks and had his 2nd injection at 10 weeks.

My vet was more interested in how old Jake was than how long since the injection and said that 11 weeks he will be fine.

So, first walkies for my wee boy tomorrow. I'm really excited...and hopefully it'll start calming him down a bit as he's currently a very hyper puppy!
Title: Re: Vaccinations and going outside
Post by: Heidi on September 07, 2007, 10:03:28 AM
Well we went down to the vets last night, and were sent home, vaccination-less. The vet said that we should wait until she's closer to 11 weeks old as she'll get more immunity from the vaccinations then. I'd never heard of this before, I was more concerned about the immunity from the initial vaccinations wearing off, but he said this won't happen before she gets her boosters next week. So we'll have to traipse back next week to get them now. I trust this vet as my family have been going to him for years, and another vet in his practice was so good to Heidi when she picked up her infection.

At least she got out and about a bit, she was such a little baby cucddling into me and staring with wide-open eyes at everything and everyone! I was looking forward to getting her out and about but we'll just have to wait another little while......
Title: Re: Vaccinations and going outside
Post by: LurcherGirl on September 07, 2007, 12:04:02 PM
Well we went down to the vets last night, and were sent home, vaccination-less. The vet said that we should wait until she's closer to 11 weeks old as she'll get more immunity from the vaccinations then. I'd never heard of this before, I was more concerned about the immunity from the initial vaccinations wearing off, but he said this won't happen before she gets her boosters next week. So we'll have to traipse back next week to get them now. I trust this vet as my family have been going to him for years, and another vet in his practice was so good to Heidi when she picked up her infection.

At least she got out and about a bit, she was such a little baby cucddling into me and staring with wide-open eyes at everything and everyone! I was looking forward to getting her out and about but we'll just have to wait another little while......

Puppies are protected by their mum's immunity (provided that she was vaccinated) until about 11 or 12 weeks old. Vaccinations given before that can be neutralised due to the already present immunity. That's why a puppy should get the last vaccinated not much earlier than 11 or 12 weeks to make sure that he is fully protected.
So your vet is right.

Vera
Title: Re: Vaccinations and going outside
Post by: Cob-Web on September 07, 2007, 12:16:02 PM
At least she got out and about a bit, she was such a little baby cucddling into me and staring with wide-open eyes at everything and everyone! I was looking forward to getting her out and about but we'll just have to wait another little while......

You can take her out and about like this before her vaccines - in fact, it is to be encouraged  :D
Title: Re: Vaccinations and going outside
Post by: Heidi on September 07, 2007, 12:54:58 PM
At least she got out and about a bit, she was such a little baby cucddling into me and staring with wide-open eyes at everything and everyone! I was looking forward to getting her out and about but we'll just have to wait another little while......

You can take her out and about like this before her vaccines - in fact, it is to be encouraged  :D

I think you're right IWLass. There were dogs at the vets barking and making noise and when I brought her home and we were playing in the garden, she was much more aware of the neighbourhood dogs barking than she had been. Almost as though she suddenly associated the noise with dogs, if you know what I mean?  :-\ I'll definitely bring her out and about for little "walks" in the meantime! :D