CockersOnline Forum

Cocker Specific Discussion => Grooming => Topic started by: JasperPop on September 05, 2007, 09:37:31 PM

Title: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: JasperPop on September 05, 2007, 09:37:31 PM
I was wondering if there was any purpose to the fur at the end of Jaggers "bits"?  Except of course to get me wet after he has been to "toilet" when he jumps up on my knee?????  I would like to trim them, but didnt know if this was ok to do, some things are there for a good reason and wouldnt want to cause problems ie hairs keep things cleaner or something LOL
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: Michele on September 05, 2007, 09:45:48 PM
I trim the 'whistle' back but make sure you leave about 1/2 an inch as this gives protection.  ;) :D
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: Nicola on September 05, 2007, 10:03:02 PM
I cut them and also the longer hairs on the belly in that area as well as you do get a certain amount of 'splashback' and they can get a bit crispy  ph34r :005:
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: Annette on September 05, 2007, 10:06:08 PM
Oh yes. That crispy hair has to go! :005:
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: JasperPop on September 05, 2007, 10:36:20 PM
right, well he will be getting a trim in the morning then, but i will leave a little but to allow him a little decency  :lol:

thanks a lot, it has really been getting on my wick and I wouldnt have dared if I didnt know for sure that it was okay to do!!
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: Hurtwood Dogs on September 05, 2007, 11:29:38 PM
So far in his short 15 weeks of life, Dave has had two trimming experiences (both whilst fast asleep  ;)) The first was his willy and the second was the two paws on his left side as I could reach those...  :D

Even my 4 yr old commented 'mummy it's ridiculous, why does Dave always have a wet Willy and why does he always dry it on me?'

Nuff said  :D

Hannah x
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: Cazzie on September 05, 2007, 11:34:56 PM
So far in his short 15 weeks of life, Dave has had two trimming experiences (both whilst fast asleep  ;)) The first was his willy and the second was the two paws on his left side as I could reach those...  :D

Even my 4 yr old commented 'mummy it's ridiculous, why does Dave always have a wet Willy and why does he always dry it on me?'

Nuff said  :D

Hannah x

 :lol: Must be just the cockers as Goose doesnt have that problem his is naturally trim :lol:
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: Hurtwood Dogs on September 05, 2007, 11:41:33 PM
So far in his short 15 weeks of life, Dave has had two trimming experiences (both whilst fast asleep  ;)) The first was his willy and the second was the two paws on his left side as I could reach those...  :D

Even my 4 yr old commented 'mummy it's ridiculous, why does Dave always have a wet Willy and why does he always dry it on me?'

Nuff said  :D

Hannah x

 :lol: Must be just the cockers as Goose doesnt have that problem his is naturally trim :lol:

 :005:  :005: What a smart lad, he sounds all impressive and manly dogly and like he takes care of himself... unlike my scrappy smeg monster  :D

Hannah x
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: cazza on September 06, 2007, 07:28:09 AM
Thanks for posting this  ;)

Jock has no such problem just like Goose, but think I'm going to have this with Braan  ;)
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: Gilly on September 06, 2007, 11:47:21 AM
I trim the 'whistle' back but make sure you leave about 1/2 an inch as this gives protection.  ;) :D

 :005: I call it the Twizzle  :005: I trim Lola's as it grows really long but like you leave some as I think it helps direct the wee  ;)
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: JenSam on September 06, 2007, 12:43:07 PM
Thanks for posting this too.  I like to keep Sam's a wee ( :005: ) bit long so I know when he has 'been' out in the garden!!   ;)
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: *sammy* on September 06, 2007, 05:40:13 PM
sams had about 3 trims since he's come home and about due another. it grows really fast and turns yellow. not very attractive  :005:
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: bonio on September 11, 2007, 01:41:27 AM
sams had about 3 trims since he's come home and about due another. it grows really fast and turns yellow. not very attractive  :005:

As you have mentioned the unmentionables and turning yellow what is the best and safest way to clean just that area? Between baths when it goes yellow she starts to lick after going for a wee and not overly keen when she then tries to kiss me. She does not do it when clean (filthy little beast  :005:)
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: BillysMum on September 11, 2007, 02:02:28 PM
i'm so pleased that someone asked this, i have been wanting to trim Billy's coz it looks awful with long hairs but haven't taken much off incase it was there for a reason  :lol: i'm now off to get my scissors  :005:
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: clairep4 on September 11, 2007, 03:20:00 PM
I trim Zorro's unmentionables a bit but the main problem is he still wee's like a girl and he's got such long feathering on his front legs that it goes all down them - he's having a trim next weekend so I think we'll have to trim his feathering a bit as it's a bit unpleasant getting a hug from him first thing... ph34r :lol:
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: september on September 11, 2007, 04:29:45 PM
In reply to the cleaning questions i wipe her 'lady bits' with a baby wipe now and again when she gets a bit yucky down there!!!
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: JasperPop on September 11, 2007, 09:56:08 PM
I am so glad i asked now...i felt like such an idiot   ph34r  but now i see its not just me who has this um   issue.   :005:
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: crazyspaniels on September 12, 2007, 03:53:13 PM
on a different note, does anyone know why the hair around where boy bits used to be in neutered dogs grows so blooming long - I swear I could plait Bilbo's ph34r
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: mary w on September 14, 2007, 02:28:33 PM
I don't have an issue with this, because I can tell he has had a pee. and I think it must be there for a reason???
PLEASE don't do it. :P
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: mary w on September 15, 2007, 01:43:34 PM
I've just had a talk to "Ben" my 11year old red cocker and he says..."Please leave my little bits alone, thnk you very much" :005:
Title: Re: unmentionable hairs ahem
Post by: Annette on September 15, 2007, 10:16:16 PM
I've just had a talk to "Ben" my 11year old red cocker and he says..."Please leave my little bits alone, thnk you very much" :005:

I've just had a chat to my Buddy and warned him that he must either keep that hair clean himself or I will come at him with the scissors and give him a teensy trim! :005:

I do usually trim it, for all the reasons listed previously. But I do leave some as I'm sure it's there for a reason.