CockersOnline Forum

Cocker Specific Discussion => Puppies => Topic started by: Bailey_Bonce on September 07, 2007, 09:11:19 AM

Title: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: Bailey_Bonce on September 07, 2007, 09:11:19 AM
Hi, was walking my 9 month orange roan this morning and let him off the lead to chase his ball, he was doing everything perfect, bringing it right back to me, dropping it to go again, then he got sight of a massive pile of dried up Horse manure and that was it, no further interest in the ball.

He then decides its breakfast time !! chomping away on it, and he ran off with some in his mouth, chewing away, he wouldnt come back after countless shouting and I nearly lost it with him, in the end he came back once he had swallowed a big piece of it. NICE !! a dog that eats sh*t ! Will this make him sick ?








Subject title & post edited, please remember we have young members,
thank you
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: skyesmum on September 07, 2007, 09:56:12 AM
I know - it's DISGUSTING!   >:(

Skye eats it too.   :o It doesn't seem to do her any harm, but I try to bribe her away from it with a wee biscuit!

Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: caro on September 07, 2007, 10:12:08 AM
Fern eats all sorts of poo except her own and other dogs - the fresher the better  ;)  I do tell her off though and pull her away.
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: Jeeves on September 07, 2007, 10:21:20 AM
I run a livery yard and take my three to work with me - imagine their joy when they see the manure from 16 horses... ph34r

It's absolutely nothing to worry about, I've yet to meet a dog that didn't eat horse poo!
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: Heidi on September 07, 2007, 10:24:40 AM
We live beside the Curragh in Ireland, where horses are always out training - looks like I have a horse poo-eating dog to look forward to then? :005:
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: Becky and Wilson on September 07, 2007, 10:26:29 AM
It's a delicassy (sp?) don't you know!  Mine has grown out of it now but when he was younger the fresher the better!  We get a lot of horses riding near us so there's always plenty around!  He used to ignore the old dry stuff and pick out the tastier fresh piles!

He knew it was wrong as I used to yell and shout like a crazy person for him to stop!  And if he was on lead when we passed some I used to give an "AH AH" and a "Leave it!!!" he ignores it completly now and has taken up the hobby of rolling in fox poo instead!  I think I'd rather he ate horse poo than do this though! at least when he ate poo the smell didn't linger!
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: Helen on September 07, 2007, 11:19:10 AM
mine will snatch the odd mouthful of horse poo - i was told it's no problem unless the horses have been freshly wormed...

i'd rather he ate horse or sheep poo than roll in fox doodah.....yukkkkkkkk
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: sabrino on September 07, 2007, 11:20:08 AM
Milo eats it too  :-\ Horrible animal. Went on a COL meet not so long ago and he troughed loads of the stuff and threw it up allover the back of the car while we were on the m1. blimmin cockers.
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: LouiseAS on September 07, 2007, 11:42:31 AM
Mine both love horse poo.  I try to discourage it but don't always catch them straight away.

I'm lucky though they eat this as opposed to rolling in s**t plus I've been around horses all my life so don't mind the smell, I can think of worse smells  :shades:
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: bluegirl on September 07, 2007, 12:03:31 PM
i call it their weetabix, cos they can't help but have a nibble or two, mine also like rabbit poop as an alternative. :D
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: bibathediva on September 07, 2007, 12:09:54 PM
yep  ;) another horse poo eater here and shes quite partial to cow poo ,the runnier the better  ph34r
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: pinkcarys on September 07, 2007, 12:13:11 PM
Griffin carried a horse poo ball around in his mouth the other day. I got him intersted in a stick instead and he swapped. He also loves deer poop and goose poop. Manky doggie.
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: silke on September 07, 2007, 01:12:52 PM
Charlie loves it! He takes in as much as he can, before he's stopped. :shades: So far, it hasn't done him any harm, though.

Silkex
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: Hurtwood Dogs on September 07, 2007, 01:54:24 PM
Loads do it.. little smeggers! Do be a bit wary, seemingly if the horse that produced said 'treat' has been wormed recently it can be a problem..

Hannah x
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: ruby ruby doo on September 07, 2007, 02:28:05 PM
why do they like it..?ruby ate some the other day too! I did not think that normal but now i see it probably is! Have a lot of things to thank COL for!
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: Mari on September 07, 2007, 03:50:13 PM
I hate to be the one with the negative reply. And I should say I have a poo eating cocker myself and allthough I try to discourage her, I've never been worried. It's just what dogs to  ;)  However, I read on an other forum about a dog (puppie) who got seriously ill from eating horse poop. The horse had just been treated for worms, and this treatment could (according to her) be very harmful to dogs :huh:   I don't know this is true, but it could be worth asking a vet so you'll know in the future. It sounds unlikely, but I thought I should mention it anyway. I should also mention this was a rottweiler and so he probably ate a lot more than our cockers would be able to gulp down ;)
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: silke on September 07, 2007, 04:21:31 PM
Oh dear, I've never really thought about the dangers from horse wormer - I think I'll try even harder to get to Charlie before he can gobble down a mouthful. :P

Silke
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: Joules on September 07, 2007, 06:40:39 PM
Yep, Coco loves horse poo too, and rabbit and deer etc..........  ::)  I do always try and discourage her and distract her with a firm NO and a tasty treat so she rarely gets to eat very much these days.  I can see horse wormer would not be too great and neither would wormy poo be very good for them.  >:(  Coco is certainly growing out of it now though as she used to eat her own, the cats, other dogs etc and was really determined.  Now I am conviced she just does it to wind me up  >:(  :005:
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: september on September 07, 2007, 08:02:47 PM
Mine is worse!

Today Roxy DUG UP some cat poo from our garden and ATE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :P

OH my god! gross ming little doggie! :005:
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: Joules on September 07, 2007, 08:30:37 PM
I once met someone who said that their puppy stole their baby's pooey nappy when they were changing it and ate the contents  :o :o :005:  I believe there is a conspiracy of silence about this particular doggy habit - I had never heard of it until I got a dog myself and suddenly everyone's dog does it  ::)  :lol:
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: magicflower on September 07, 2007, 10:18:24 PM
I have to admit that Ruby is a pooh eater!

We went for a walk last week and she discovered sheep pooh! Yum yum!  :P
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: Boof on September 08, 2007, 11:56:27 AM
Ozzy loves horse pooh. He comes up to the stables sometimes to play with another cocker and while I ride (he stays with someone) and between them they try to eat the muck heap.  ph34r
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: sabrino on September 08, 2007, 12:09:47 PM
yeuch dogs are sooo gross
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: CraftySam on September 08, 2007, 12:31:16 PM
House full of poo eaters here too.  ph34r ph34r

Sapphi was terrible when she was younger for eating poo, of any variety other than her own. She grew out of it, and so did Max. However my cocker boys show no signs of giving up the joy of poo, and they aren't fussy what variety it is.  ph34r ph34r
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: Helen on September 08, 2007, 01:25:55 PM
I hate to be the one with the negative reply. And I should say I have a poo eating cocker myself and allthough I try to discourage her, I've never been worried. It's just what dogs to  ;)  However, I read on an other forum about a dog (puppie) who got seriously ill from eating horse poop. The horse had just been treated for worms, and this treatment could (according to her) be very harmful to dogs :huh:   I don't know this is true, but it could be worth asking a vet so you'll know in the future. It sounds unlikely, but I thought I should mention it anyway. I should also mention this was a rottweiler and so he probably ate a lot more than our cockers would be able to gulp down ;)

nope you're the second one with the negative reply (tho mine was not issued with a warning)...it is true, if a horse has been freshly wormed than eating the poo can cause illness.  I would say it's not a habit to ignore or encourage....there is always a 'leave' command for Jarv when he's close to munching....in fact at one stage if Jarv obeyed the 'leave' and came to me he was rewarded with a treat.  He did catch on to this and then started approaching the piles of poo as if to eat a mouthful and would catch my eye and run to me and sit for his treat...all done within nanoseconds and well before the word 'leave' actually came out of my mouth...

little tyke >:D
Title: Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
Post by: debbie321 on September 08, 2007, 08:56:30 PM
I hate to be the one with the negative reply. And I should say I have a poo eating cocker myself and allthough I try to discourage her, I've never been worried. It's just what dogs to  ;)  However, I read on an other forum about a dog (puppie) who got seriously ill from eating horse poop. The horse had just been treated for worms, and this treatment could (according to her) be very harmful to dogs :huh:   I don't know this is true, but it could be worth asking a vet so you'll know in the future. It sounds unlikely, but I thought I should mention it anyway. I should also mention this was a rottweiler and so he probably ate a lot more than our cockers would be able to gulp down ;)

nope you're the second one with the negative reply (tho mine was not issued with a warning)...it is true, if a horse has been freshly wormed than eating the poo can cause illness.  I would say it's not a habit to ignore or encourage....there is always a 'leave' command for Jarv when he's close to munching....in fact at one stage if Jarv obeyed the 'leave' and came to me he was rewarded with a treat.  He did catch on to this and then started approaching the piles of poo as if to eat a mouthful and would catch my eye and run to me and sit for his treat...all done within nanoseconds and well before the word 'leave' actually came out of my mouth...

little tyke >:D

Ben loves horse poo so much that my measly gravey bones don't come near!  I must take livercake out with me (the product not the last person to post  :005: although that might help as she always has a ready supply  ;))  I think that's the only thing that Ben adores above anything else!