CockersOnline Forum
Cocker Specific Discussion => Grooming => Topic started by: Ben's mum on September 13, 2007, 08:18:35 PM
-
Not really sure if this should be in health or grooming as its a bit of both!
When I clipped Ben today, his coat was coming out very dry, and the no 7 blade was struggling to go through it, it came out in fuzzy chunks if that makes sense, they are new Andis clippers, only used blades 2 or 3 times and oiled each time so I don't think its the clippers?
As the top layer of coat came off it the coat underneath was really dry and coarse. Now I've not noticed this before, but it makes his coat look in really bad condition and doesn't feel nice and soft like it used too.
Ben's coat is never shiny at the best of times- he's castrated and until 6 months ago when I bought my own clippers, he used to be cut really really short at the groomers - which was horrible and I suppose this has to some extent done damage ? but his coat was never in this horrible state.
his diet hasn't changed - he is fed on Burns. the only new things introduced recently are 1 weetabix a day - for his glands, and frageria for his teeth. but I don't see why either of these should affect his coat.
I know fish and fish oil is good for healthy coat, but they always affect Ben's stomach for days so I try to avoid giving him fish if possible.
any ideas - is it something I'm doing wrong when I clip him, or any ideas to help his coat look in better condition
thanks from
Ben's mum and a very scruffy and sorry looking Ben :luv:
-
Could be a combination of "clippered coat", the change in the coat when a dog has been clipped several times, and the fall "molt". Even when clippered they still grow and shed undercoat, and fall and spring are the most heavy times.
It's also possible he has some sensitivity to wheat, which I assume is in the weetabix?, allergies will most definitely show in the skin and coat.
Here is what I would try:
Use a coat king, or a stripping knife, flea comb or the toothed side of the thinning shears and drag the coat to try and get as much undercoat out as you can. Then, before you clip him, give him a bath in a good moisturising shampoo, or a hypoallergenic one.
Make sure he is thoroughly dry before clipping, you can bathe the day before you clip too.
Try an 8 1/2 blade instead of a 7, I find that alters the coat the least of all blades, and in fact I've had quite a few coats come back in shape after using the 8 1/2 for awhile. It's my blade of choice for all spaniels and setters :shades: The 8 1/2 is only very slightly shorter than the 7 in the finished look, but I think much smoother.
If he's sensitive to fish or fish oil you can try some evening primrose oil.
It may take a few groomings and experiments to get him back in shape. Also be sure you clean the blades before oiling, with an old toothbrush and/or blade wash.