CockersOnline Forum

Cocker Specific Discussion => Grooming => Topic started by: Jan/Billy on September 16, 2007, 09:38:44 PM

Title: OMG! OH has given Billy a haircut with the clippers..
Post by: Jan/Billy on September 16, 2007, 09:38:44 PM
I don't know what he was thinking off but it's HORRIFIC  :'(

We are going away for a few days next week so OH thought it would be good for Billy to be nice &  short as he'll be on the beach every day.  He looks terrible & his curly top knot which I  absolutely loved has completely gone  :'( I went mad about this as i really liked his top know yet OH has just chopped it all off  >:D ggrrrhhhh!!!!!

So now I don't know what to do, leave it as it is or just shave him completely so it's all the same length and start again  :huh:


What looks worse? A bad cut or a scalped cocker?  >:D
Title: Re: OMG! OH has given Billy a haircut with the clippers..
Post by: Danni n Betty on September 16, 2007, 09:51:38 PM
Oh No  ph34r
I think we need a photo of the damage.
Has he left anything long?
To be honest, it is a hell of a lot easier when they are short, to dry off, less things stuck to their legs etc.
Not helping is it  :-\
It grows back really quickly, honestly
Title: Re: OMG! OH has given Billy a haircut with the clippers..
Post by: Cob-Web on September 16, 2007, 09:52:48 PM
IMO, a bad cut is worse that a scalped cocker - and I have experience of both  ph34r

I agree that we need pictures - which bits has he left long?
Title: Re: OMG! OH has given Billy a haircut with the clippers..
Post by: Jan/Billy on September 16, 2007, 09:59:46 PM
I'll try & put pictures up tomorrow but he won't look as bad as he does in the flesh. The bits of his head are all bumpy, nothing is smooth but don't think this will show up in the pictures. He's clipped him everywhere except his back & his ears  ::)


He said he did it to make it easier for ME when we get back from the beach, as it won't take ME as long to clean him   :shades: Not sure what happened to him being OUR dog  ::)
Title: Re: OMG! OH has given Billy a haircut with the clippers..
Post by: Nicola on September 16, 2007, 10:02:43 PM
Oh no poor Billy  ph34r 

We need photos though, for scientific reasons natch  :005:
Title: Re: OMG! OH has given Billy a haircut with the clippers..
Post by: Helen on September 16, 2007, 10:05:57 PM
Oh no poor Billy  ph34r 

We need photos though, for scientific reasons natch  :005:

absolutely  :shades:

jan, i would be bleedin' furious...... ph34r
Title: Re: OMG! OH has given Billy a haircut with the clippers..
Post by: spanielcrazy on September 16, 2007, 10:06:21 PM
Afraid we can't advise without pics  :-\ :005:


Just keep repeating to yourself: "It's only hair, it grows back"

Depends on what you want to do grooming wise in the future. Billy is not neutered? Do you wish to handstrip? If so then I'd use straight shears to try to even up and blend the clippered bits as much as possible to minimize coat damage





 
Title: Re: OMG! OH has given Billy a haircut with the clippers..
Post by: Danni n Betty on September 16, 2007, 10:06:52 PM
Quote
He said he did it to make it easier for ME when we get back from the beach, as it won't take ME as long to clean him    Not sure what happened to him being OUR dog  

Typical  ::)  :005:
Sounds like my OH!

So he's clipped all his underside, and leg feathering.....but left his back long?
Could be an interesting look  ;)
Will reserve judgment til we get to see the photies!
Title: Re: OMG! OH has given Billy a haircut with the clippers..
Post by: Cob-Web on September 16, 2007, 10:07:57 PM
I'll try & put pictures up tomorrow but he won't look as bad as he does in the flesh. The bits of his head are all bumpy, nothing is smooth but don't think this will show up in the pictures. He's clipped him everywhere except his back & his ears  ::)


He said he did it to make it easier for ME when we get back from the beach, as it won't take ME as long to clean him   :shades: Not sure what happened to him being OUR dog  ::)

If you do his back and tidy him up, then he will look like Bonnee did when she arrived - she has been shorn everywhere except her ears and tail; not a feather in sight  ph34r

(http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/Bonnee_Spaniel/Bonnee3.jpg)

I clipped the inside of her ears to lighten and shorten them, but have left the rest of her as is; 7 weeks later, I tidied her feet up for the first time this weekend.
Her fur grows a lot slower than Molo's though - I only clipped him 5 weeks ago and had to give his legs and feet a good clip yesterday  ::)
Title: Re: OMG! OH has given Billy a haircut with the clippers..
Post by: happydog on September 16, 2007, 10:10:23 PM
Send him on a dog grooming course. Insist on it.
As he has taken it upon himself to be Billys groomer then he might as well learn to do it properly. Now he's started it, it's a lifetime commitment   :lol: ;)
Title: Re: OMG! OH has given Billy a haircut with the clippers..
Post by: Jan/Billy on September 16, 2007, 10:11:07 PM
jan, i would be bleedin' furious...... ph34r


I was  :lol: I am more annoyed about his top knot as I loved it, has taken me 10 months to get it , I know top knots are not liked but I luv them  :luv:


Depends on what you want to do grooming wise in the future. Billy is not neutered? Do you wish to handstrip? If so then I'd use straight shears to try to even up and blend the clippered bits as much as possible to minimize coat damage

No he is entire. He has been clipped lots of times before but not by OH  ::)
Title: Re: OMG! OH has given Billy a haircut with the clippers..
Post by: Jan/Billy on September 16, 2007, 10:17:44 PM
So he's clipped all his underside, and leg feathering.....but left his back long?
Could be an interesting look  ;)
Will reserve judgment til we get to see the photies!


it's a shall we say "unique" look  :shades: but yes he has basically clipped the bits he could get to but didn't do his back as Billy wouldn't keep still !!??!!


Send him on a dog grooming course. Insist on it.
As he has taken it upon himself to be Billys groomer then he might as well learn to do it properly. Now he's started it, it's a lifetime commitment   :lol: ;)


There is a how to clip  video with the clippers that we got,  but he didn't watch it first as he was watching the football  ph34r

The worse thing is that Billy keeps walking past giving ME filthy looks when I was nothing to do with it & was 40 miles away!

Cheers for Picture Rachel, think I'll be finishing it off tomorrow
Title: Re: OMG! OH has given Billy a haircut with the clippers..
Post by: MrsMac on September 16, 2007, 10:44:51 PM
I'd be mad too but I'd make OH walk him when you're away next week.  He made the mess so he can deal with it  :005:  Poor Billy  :-\ :luv: :luv:
Title: Re: OMG! OH has given Billy a haircut with the clippers..
Post by: cdpops on September 17, 2007, 11:38:20 AM
Oh Jan
Poor you Billy's top knot was the best I have seen, but I am sure it will grow back soon. I think I would go for the shaved sheep look and let it grow evenly, you will be amazed how easier it will be for him to dry off in Wales. I would make your OH suffer  BIG TIME it should cost him at least one designer handbag!
Enjoy your holiday in Wales
Claire
Title: Re: OMG! OH has given Billy a haircut with the clippers..
Post by: Jan/Billy on September 17, 2007, 09:53:02 PM
Oh Jan
Poor you Billy's top knot was the best I have seen, but I am sure it will grow back soon. I think I would go for the shaved sheep look and let it grow evenly, you will be amazed how easier it will be for him to dry off in Wales. I would make your OH suffer  BIG TIME it should cost him at least one designer handbag!
Enjoy your holiday in Wales
Claire


Thanks hun  ;)

Well we tidied him up today by clipping his back & neck and he does look much better although we can't see to work out how we do his belly with the clippers  :-\

Am sure we'll get there soon if we do a bit each day  :005:

Note to self, invest in grooming table & hide the clippers from OH  :005:
Title: Re: OMG! OH has given Billy a haircut with the clippers..
Post by: Hurtwood Dogs on September 17, 2007, 10:06:51 PM
Me and OH used to do Trev together the belly was a case of one of us kneeling down and having him lay on his back between out knees and telling him how wonderful he was while the other swore and jammed the clippers up  :005: It worked but we gave up after 3 grooming sessions and took him to a professional instead. I think if they're fit they look good shaved!

Hannah x
Title: Re: OMG! OH has given Billy a haircut with the clippers..
Post by: silke on September 18, 2007, 07:29:28 PM
Quote
Me and OH used to do Trev together the belly was a case of one of us kneeling down and having him lay on his back between out knees and telling him how wonderful he was while the other swore and jammed the clippers up
    :rofl1:

Oh dear, Jan. Bet OH was in the doghouse. :005: It always worries me when my OH says he could have a go on Charlie with the clippers.

Silkex
Title: Re: OMG! OH has given Billy a haircut with the clippers..
Post by: spanielcrazy on September 20, 2007, 12:34:50 AM
So, where are our piccies please?  :005:
Title: Re: OMG! OH has given Billy a haircut with the clippers..
Post by: Jan/Billy on September 20, 2007, 11:57:51 PM
So, where are our piccies please?  :005:


My camera has gone awol  :shades:  The suspicious part of me thinks OH has hidden it  :005: