CockersOnline Forum

Cocker Specific Discussion => Grooming => Topic started by: dmulally on September 19, 2007, 01:25:06 AM

Title: Shedding hair constantly!
Post by: dmulally on September 19, 2007, 01:25:06 AM
Hi All,

Little Rommel is shedding hair constantly. I have got him a coat king which he loves and I have got rid of so much hair that he is a puppy again, but he is still leaving hair everywhere. I brush him constantly which gets rid of a whole heap of hair but it seems never ending.

I have heard that he is losing his puppy fur and also that he is shedding his winter coat. I have no idea if these are fair dinkum or not.

Is it possible for a cocker to shed hair like that for the rest of his life? Id love to have him up on the couch and on the bed with me again but he leaves a big mess every time he does and I am constantly having to wash everything that he touches!

lucky he has looks.

Cheers

Damian
Title: Re: Shedding hair constantly!
Post by: Sheryl on September 19, 2007, 08:12:58 AM
I am not sure about other dogs but Kali leaves hair everywhere she goes :-\  I have a cupboard full of sticky rollers!
Title: Re: Shedding hair constantly!
Post by: Cass on September 19, 2007, 11:53:35 PM
Same here, Cassie is a black cocker and leaves hair everywhere, even though she is brushed daily........no way I could allow her on beds or couches. :shades:
Title: Re: Shedding hair constantly!
Post by: Hurtwood Dogs on September 19, 2007, 11:59:20 PM
Ya see... this is sooooooooooo confusing me. Trev my golden cocker had an incredibly thick coat but there was hardly any hair around the house so because of this I thought cockers didn't shed  ph34r

Dave (blue roan) is definately leaving a bit about at the moment and he's only 17 weeks old...... am I in for years of a hairy house now too??? Are they ALL different and do their own thing?

Hannah x

Title: Re: Shedding hair constantly!
Post by: spanielcrazy on September 20, 2007, 12:30:56 AM
How old is Rommel again?  The changeover from puppy coat to adult coat (usually somehwere between 7-12 months) is generally the worst, although cockers do shed fairly regularly. Some of it is seasonal, fall and spring and some of it is year round  ::)

I do notice that a lot of my customers at the grooming shop say that their dogs, and cats too, are shedding this year heavier than normal, but I'm not really sure why this is :huh:

am I in for years of a hairy house now too??? Are they ALL different and do their own thing?


Yes, and yes  :005:
Title: Re: Shedding hair constantly!
Post by: heelers n cockers on September 22, 2007, 08:36:09 PM
Freddy is a constant shedder! he is a very light choc/liver roan  :luv: wheras Fudge doesnt seem to shed at all! he is a solid gold but freddy is handstripped and Fudge has to be clipped as he is a hairy monster otherwise!  :005:
Title: Re: Shedding hair constantly!
Post by: dmulally on September 23, 2007, 11:36:26 PM
Rommel is just gone 6 months. He never used to shed even one hair until about 2 months ago and now its hair town, population one...Rommel.

I have used the coat king quite a few times and it seems to be helping but I notice that his hairy legs dont seem to work well with the coat king. Nor does it on the hair on his fat little belly.

I might get the little b***** clipped me thinks. Don't know what he will think about that though. He is such a pretty boy...

Cheers

Damian
Title: Re: Shedding hair constantly!
Post by: Luvly on September 26, 2007, 12:34:02 AM
  :D
Title: Re: Shedding hair constantly!
Post by: LurcherGirl on September 27, 2007, 10:09:48 AM
What sort of food are you feeding? Excessive shedding can be caused by diet.

Vera