CockersOnline Forum
Cocker Specific Discussion => Grooming => Topic started by: caty on September 24, 2007, 05:06:30 PM
-
I've ran a search on the forum for clippers and have been struggling to find recommendations although there's plenty of info on blades. I also went on the DeZynadog website and that's confused me even more. It's a minefield!
Please can anyone recommend some good clippers that aren't going to cost the earth. I really need to make grooming my two a little easier as so far I'm using a coat king on their backs and thinning scissors on their heads and it takes me an entire day..... ph34r
-
The Andis AGC single speed or the Moser Switchblade are probably your best bet. They are very reasonably priced, will last forever, are very easy to service if needed and can use any A5 type blade from any manufacturer. These are the types used in professional grooming shops so they go all day, every day.
The Andis is a bit quieter than the Moser, if that helps narrow it down a bit.
-
Hi!
I ran a similar question back in July/August, because I was look for a good clipper. After lots of help from other members I finally decided on the Moser ARCO, because it has one head with adjustable lengths and is also without a cord. It comes with 2 batteries and a charger stand, so you can run it for around 90 mins non-stop. I liked the ideas of no cord, with all my fumbling around. There was no need to buy extra cutting heads either.
One member, who recommended it said a springer-breeder friend of hers has it and wouldn't be without it, so if it's good enough for her, I thought, then it must be good enough for a first timer for me.
I even posted photos of the finished results!
Chris & Co.
-
Moser Rex are an excellent intermediate clipper and usually under £50. They are also very quiet, so ideal for a dog that is not used to clippers ;)
-
Thanks guys!!! My two are usually OK with scissors and the coat king - they love this! But the last time my husband had a (cheap) pair of clippers directed at them they were terrified, so perhaps the Moser would be a safe bet if they're quieter. Thanks Gilly. I didn't want to spend over a hundred either so the price looks more favourable as well. ;)
Do you have to buy extra blades for the Moser Rex e.g for the face and back?
-
No they come with clip on combs. Probably sounds a bit naff but I got a really good finish with mine before I upgraded to the Andis AGC 2 speed. I passed mine on to one of my puppy owners from my last litter who was spending a fortune getting her dog clippered, she thinks they are brilliant.
This is a great site for clipper advice http://www.peasridge.co.uk/clipperadvice/clippers-products-moser-rex.php (http://www.peasridge.co.uk/clipperadvice/clippers-products-moser-rex.php) also invest in a good blade cleaner and some clipper oil to maintain them, you can also buy replacement blades and combs. They are £57.95 from Peasridge and get a 5 star 92% rating, also a Best Buy award. Do a search on Ebay and you get it for £39.99 + £5.00 P&P ;)
-
That's so helpful, thanks a million, Gilly. :angel: