CockersOnline Forum

Cocker Specific Discussion => Puppies => Topic started by: Crazy Cocker Gang on July 15, 2009, 08:21:13 PM

Title: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: Crazy Cocker Gang on July 15, 2009, 08:21:13 PM
They keep you up at night
Toilet training
Hanging off your clothes
Mouthing
Bladders the size of peas
Carrying them around for weeks (I still bear the scars from *socialising* Brie)
Stupid walk restrictions
chewing
teething
Horrid teenage phase

Thought it would be nice to have a "we dont have a puppy thread" with all the horrid bits on it to remind us why we dont.

Feel free to post your reasons why puppys are  >:D

 
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: cazza on July 15, 2009, 08:30:41 PM
 >:D  why couldn't you have posted this before I had paid for the poopie  :P
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: Crazy Cocker Gang on July 15, 2009, 08:31:36 PM
>:D  why couldn't you have posted this before I had paid for the poopie  :P

Im sure your pup will be an  :angel: :-*
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: Carol09 on July 15, 2009, 08:38:08 PM
They take off with your pants and socks (Well Jay does!)
They look at you with "Sad eyes" everytime you eat, like they are starving (Well Jay does!)
They dig holes in your garden (Yes, Jay does this!)

Can probably think of more things but life wouldn't be the same without him, no that would be too peaceful! :luv: :005:
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: Nicola on July 15, 2009, 08:56:02 PM
Every time you put something down/take something off they pick it up... no wait, actually that one's quite cute ph34r :005:

They really are into everything, Caoimhe's a really good girl but when she has her moments she's like a whirlwind and nothing is safe from the prying puppy nose :lol2: :luv:
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: cazza on July 15, 2009, 08:58:10 PM
Every time you put something down/take something off they pick it up... no wait, actually that one's quite cute ph34r :005:

They really are into everything, Caoimhe's a really good girl but when she has her moments she's like a whirlwind and nothing is safe from the prying puppy nose :lol2: :luv:

NIC - stop it!!  Caoimhe's what 5 months old  :huh: what have I let myself in for  :005:
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: *Theresa* on July 15, 2009, 08:58:44 PM
If they are like Glen then all of your favourite clothes become their favourite playthings and subsequently turn into lots of little bits  >:(

Standing outside in the middle of the night leaping around like an eedgit because they went pee pee  ::)
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: Nicola on July 15, 2009, 09:01:45 PM
Every time you put something down/take something off they pick it up... no wait, actually that one's quite cute ph34r :005:

They really are into everything, Caoimhe's a really good girl but when she has her moments she's like a whirlwind and nothing is safe from the prying puppy nose :lol2: :luv:

NIC - stop it!!  Caoimhe's what 5 months old  :huh: what have I let myself in for  :005:

Six months now! :P :lol2:
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: Dondy on July 15, 2009, 09:29:23 PM
Here are a couple of my reasons for not having another  :angel: ....yet....lol
1.They spread your lovely border plants all over your lawn.
2.They swallow stone and get them stuck and stop breathing (Holly's trick last night), and then look at you with 'those' eyes when you've managed to get the stone out and have tears rolling down your face!

Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: JennyBee on July 15, 2009, 10:09:27 PM
There's only one reason for me - mouthing! I could never go through that again (that's what I keep telling myself anyway :005:)
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: stuffster on July 15, 2009, 10:11:57 PM
There's only one reason for me - mouthing! I could never go through that again (that's what I keep telling myself anyway :005:)

Oh me too! Thats why we got a rescue second time round. Id rather deal with years of rescue "issues" than 5 months of mouthing!
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: allylou on July 15, 2009, 10:36:29 PM
they steal your knickers,  run around the garden with them and then sit on the wall, (with the same said knickers still dangling from their mouth,)  whilst waiting patiently for the next door neighbour to come and pet them.  ph34r
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: Rats and Dogs on July 15, 2009, 11:40:54 PM
There's only one reason for me - mouthing! I could never go through that again (that's what I keep telling myself anyway :005:)
When I worked in rescue I had whole litters mouthing me at once, there could be up to 30! :o  So, having just one little puppy constantly attached to my skin is a breeze! :lol2:

I am finding it quite difficult to walk across the floor though, I've developed leg drag! ::) :005:
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: mum2milly on July 15, 2009, 11:48:54 PM
There's only one reason for me - mouthing! I could never go through that again (that's what I keep telling myself anyway :005:)
When I worked in rescue I had whole litters mouthing me at once, there could be up to 30! :o  So, having just one little puppy constantly attached to my skin is a breeze! :lol2:

I am finding it quite difficult to walk across the floor though, I've developed leg drag! ::) :005:

Oh yes.... those deadly little razor sharp baby teeth!!! ph34r
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: SandraD on July 16, 2009, 11:17:44 AM
Definitely underwear thief in this house! ph34r  And the thought of having to go back to standing outside when all you really want to do is be in bed ...... can't believe it's only a few months back that we were having to do this!
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: JennyBee on July 16, 2009, 01:36:18 PM
I am finding it quite difficult to walk across the floor though, I've developed leg drag! ::) :005:

:lol2: :lol2:

30 pups :o I'm surprised you weren't eaten alive :005:. I met an absolutely gorgeous blue roan puppy a couple of months ago and I could have ran away with her, she was soooo cute :luv:. Thankfully she opened her mouth and reminded me just why I never want another puppy  :005:. All these puppies popping up everywhere on COL are really making me broody though ::)
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: Rats and Dogs on July 16, 2009, 02:26:52 PM
I am finding it quite difficult to walk across the floor though, I've developed leg drag! ::) :005:

:lol2: :lol2:

30 pups :o I'm surprised you weren't eaten alive :005:.

I was, you should have seen my arms and legs every night when I got home, I was scratched and bitten to pieces! The worst time was when we had staffie x's in and they would just clamp onto my legs and not let go, it was like being in a trap! My legs were black and blue for weeks. :o

So, you can see how having one little puppy Duggie is no trouble at all! :005: :luv:
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: mary w on July 16, 2009, 03:06:32 PM
When they come running to you and wee at the same time because they are so excited to see you.
When you have had a really s**t day at work and they come to greet you with your best knickers, and all you can do is smile because after all they are so pleased to see you, and you forget all about the s**t day you have just had.
When you get woken up in the early hours by this little smelly thing that is licking you all over your face.

I don’t think I’ve got the hang of this thread do you?
 :rofl1:
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: Rooster on July 16, 2009, 03:25:05 PM
The frog torturing thing isn't great. Throwing snails against the patio doors just for fun probably also something best glossed over, as is Rupert's habit of considering his own poop a dessert option. But this morning he scaled new heights (literally) of puppydom when he was found standing on the dining room table looking rather pleased with himself.  ::)

So now we have to remember to always push the chairs in as well as close doors, drawers and fridges quickly (he moves surprisingly fast for a little chap), put the tv remotes out of reach (found them in the middle of the lawn last week), hide the Radio Times (shredded before I'd read it), not leave newspapers on the sofa (ditto), never wear white clothes (unless you like the whole muddy paw print look) and keep all cups of tea above spaniel height (although our estimate of 'spaniel height' has to be increased significantly now we realise he has mountain goat somewhere in his pedigree)...
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: mcphee on July 16, 2009, 08:09:54 PM
They restyle the wood work in your house, eat your underlay and carpets redesign your garden and grow up too quickly!
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: elaine.e on July 16, 2009, 08:29:02 PM
They shred the post, unravel loo roll, bury things in the garden then dig them up again, chew through speaker cables, give you nightmares because they're fussy eaters and you think they're going to starve themselves - and that was just my perfect boy William  :luv:

Hang on a minute. I'm just about to get another one. Heeeeeeeeeeeeelp  :lol2:
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: Lily Freya on July 19, 2009, 04:06:49 PM
I think you really want another secretly....he he!!

You have to keep saying all the bad things to prevent yourself from doing it.

There are bad things......course.....but, I bet your list of good things, and things you love about your dog now is even longer.

Go on.................get one I dare you!!!
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: sueneal5 on July 19, 2009, 07:30:45 PM
I agree with all of you.  Only had Dylan for 3 weeks and he is training us well.  Not sure that was my original idea - thought I would show him how to be good, maybe teach him a couple of tricks, give him rewards, and train the bestest behaved dog in the world. 
I may need to rethink some of my plan.  Mainly the bits involving Dylan  ;) ;)

Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: Steelygirl on July 23, 2009, 07:37:13 PM
they steal your knickers,  run around the garden with them and then sit on the wall, (with the same said knickers still dangling from their mouth,)  whilst waiting patiently for the next door neighbour to come and pet them.  ph34r


Thats just a puppy thing???? Right, off to have a quick word in Freds ear....  >:(

Another one to add to the list: Teeth the sharpness of needles...and even when they go you find blood from them on your carpets....

Someone remind me why i'm doing this again....7 weeks and counting!!??  :luv:
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: Mudmagnets on July 24, 2009, 12:45:29 AM
they steal your knickers,  run around the garden with them and then sit on the wall, (with the same said knickers still dangling from their mouth,)  whilst waiting patiently for the next door neighbour to come and pet them.  ph34r


Thats just a puppy thing???? Right, off to have a quick word in Freds ear....  >:(

Another one to add to the list: Teeth the sharpness of needles...and even when they go you find blood from them on your carpets....

Someone remind me why i'm doing this again....7 weeks and counting!!??  :luv:

Cos despite all their minor 'faults' they are simply irrestabubble?  :rofl1: ;)
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: debrand on July 24, 2009, 07:16:29 AM
 :rofl1: :rofl1:
I love this thread.
All of the above reasons-except waiting with my knickers in mouth for neighbour  :005:
Too late though- Finn is 12 weeks old and having a quiet,cuddly, kissy 5 minutes  :luv: :luv:
Title: Re: Why I dont want a puppy
Post by: Dream Girl on July 24, 2009, 08:04:50 AM
This has brought back memories. As for knickers, we were in our neighbours' kitchen having a coffee; Rose went upstairs and brought down the mum's knickers - not sure who was the most embarrassed.
And sock kisses  - she comes to me with my son's sock (dirty socks are the best) in her mouth, wagging her tail and starts trying to kiss me and just head butts instead.
Yes mouthing has to be the worst thing and had just about forgotten about the leg drag. Maybe I shouldn't have read this thread