CockersOnline Forum
Cocker Specific Discussion => Behaviour & Training => Topic started by: sox on July 15, 2009, 10:15:45 PM
-
I need advice on why my dog follows me everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!
Its so anoying at times and he wont settle, he has his own wee bed in the conservatory but keeps on coming into the lounge and moving around, I can understand him doing it at times I think that he does this, to see if we are just around.
He can be in his bed and out for the count but as soon as I move to go to the toilet or the kitchen he will follow me and not leave me alone! is this a love thing or something more serious? or something that Im missing?
Its getting beyond a joke at the moment as we are forever saying to him 'go and lie in your bed' or just 'lie down' he wont he will just sit there and stare and then go back into his bed and then seconds later come back in, this can sometimes go on all night, it does not help that we have laminated flooring and just the walking about on it, can just do your head in....
He gets regular walks and the back door is often left open especially since the weather is quite warm.
Can anyone give me any ideas as too why he does this, or is this just a cocker thing?
Do I shut the door that leads too the lounge so that he understands that bed means bed or what??????????????? HELP
I dont like doing this as I feel that as we come in from work I want to spend quality time with him, my oh and myself play with him in the garden, every night, he gets an 1 1/2 hour walk every evening and a walk before we leave for work, and my neighbour comes round at lunchtime to let him out and take him for a walk, this does not include letting him in the field behind the house while we are sorting the chickens and the ferrets.
I love him dearly but would love to be able to watch a program without constantly saying 'Sox go and lie down' etc etc
Any Ideas?
-
Shut him in the conservatory when you want a bit of peace. ;) Coco would follow me around 24/7 if she could - there is no peace as she doesn't sit still for more than 5 mins even if I am just sitting watching TV ::) I also like to have some peaceful time with the cats and Coco is often a pest and won't leave them alone. Her bed is in the garden room which is off the kitchen and she spends some time in there on her own. I wouldn't do this I was at work though as she has invariably spent the whole day out and about with me so when she was small I got her into the habit of chilling out there on her own and she is quite happy with it. :luv:
-
What does he do when you let him follow? Just lie beside you? Most cockers I know do this, they just love company. Can get frustrating (especially if you have multiple followers!) but doesn't bother me.
-
Mine follows me everywhere as well, even when she is asleep she wakes up as soon as I move out of the room. She doesn't pester me though just has to be near and I don't really mind it. If she was jumping up at me or whining at me constantly then I suppose that would grate after a while.
I don't understand about the watching the tv though, is it just because he is up and about or because hes doing something to distract you :-\
-
Gari followed me constantly no matter where I went, even if I just got up to switch on a lamp or something. He just wanted to be with me, so he would sit up against me on the couch and I'd have my arm round him until he fell asleep, but sometimes he would just jump down of his own accord and lie down, probably because he knew he could come back up and have all my attention if he wanted it, so he felt secure. :D
I loved it. :luv:
-
Yep, Jay follows me every where as well, infact he is attacking my foot as I type this! >:(
-
What does he do when you let him follow? Just lie beside you? Most cockers I know do this, they just love company. Can get frustrating (especially if you have multiple followers!) but doesn't bother me.
He does not lie down unless Im in the bath! he usually just stops and stares at me and then walks a little more, stops, turns round, looks at me with those big brown eyes and sits, until I move, and then its back to the following again, its as if I have a short piece of elastic attached to my ankle :shades:
-
This is normal, if I go into the kitchen they follow me, some will sit with me, while others will pop outside, I don't mind, coz they don't pester me, just comes for the company,which I don't mind at all.
-
Mine follows me everywhere as well, even when she is asleep she wakes up as soon as I move out of the room. She doesn't pester me though just has to be near and I don't really mind it. If she was jumping up at me or whining at me constantly then I suppose that would grate after a while.
I don't understand about the watching the tv though, is it just because he is up and about or because hes doing something to distract you :-\
If he came in and led on the floor and slept I would be fine with that.
Its the constant lieing down and then minutes later getting up and going back to his bed, he may stay there for half an hour, then he will come back in and do the same thing all over again, sits and stares at you, this could go on for an hour or sometimes more, he does not whine or anything sometimes he may try and jump on the sofa which is a no go for him!
The watching the tv bit is only the getting up and coming in, walking round lieing down, getting up and going to his bed etc etc, we are forever saying go lie down and thats the annoying bit! I sound so harsh :huh:
The strange thing is thou if my oh and myself are not with each other he is as good as gold, oh just reminded me of that, he will come in and lie down, perhaps its a jealous thing with him, and he does love my oh as he does Sox :luv:
-
another follower here. I feel guilty for moving sometimes because she will just settle and start to nod off and the leather sofa will squeak or I'll fold the laptop and she's up like a shot. I can't move for her at times but she usually settles and just watches me or nods off, depending how long I'm wandering around for. If I close the toilet door she sits outside whining, if I leave it open, she comes in and steals the floorcloth from behind the loo.
Whe I say Mali is my constant companion, I really do mean it.
-
Mine follows me everywhere as well, even when she is asleep she wakes up as soon as I move out of the room. She doesn't pester me though just has to be near and I don't really mind it. If she was jumping up at me or whining at me constantly then I suppose that would grate after a while.
I don't understand about the watching the tv though, is it just because he is up and about or because hes doing something to distract you :-\
If he came in and led on the floor and slept I would be fine with that.
Its the constant lieing down and then minutes later getting up and going back to his bed, he may stay there for half an hour, then he will come back in and do the same thing all over again, sits and stares at you, this could go on for an hour or sometimes more, he does not whine or anything sometimes he may try and jump on the sofa which is a no go for him!
The watching the tv bit is only the getting up and coming in, walking round lieing down, getting up and going to his bed etc etc, we are forever saying go lie down and thats the annoying bit! I sound so harsh :huh:
The strange thing is thou if my oh and myself are not with each other he is as good as gold, oh just reminded me of that, he will come in and lie down, perhaps its a jealous thing with him, and he does love my oh as he does Sox :luv:
Mine won't even leave the room unless I do, she'd never go off to her bed in another room whilst I was in a different room so sounds like he wants to go bed but also doesn't want to miss anything like they do :005: I think you'll have to put it down to having a cocker and its normal behaviour, at least yours does leave you even if its for a very short time. :005:
Maybe if you had a bed in the room you are in rather than his bed being in a different room he'd settle in that one if hes not allowed on the sofa. I don't mean move his bed from his sleeping area, just another one for him to relax in. Indie's main bed is in the kitchen at night in her crate but shes also got a small bed in the lounge but tends to lay on me instead.
-
another follower here. I feel guilty for moving sometimes because she will just settle and start to nod off and the leather sofa will squeak or I'll fold the laptop and she's up like a shot. I can't move for her at times but she usually settles and just watches me or nods off, depending how long I'm wandering around for. If I close the toilet door she sits outside whining, if I leave it open, she comes in and steals the floorcloth from behind the loo.
Whe I say Mali is my constant companion, I really do mean it.
Thats spot on, it must be just me worrying too much - Im always thinking perhaps something is wrong, but from the other comments its a cocker thing!
-
Now this is interesting, with the exception of GillSarge (because of your photo), has everyone who answered this own 1 Cocker or do you have more?? I was wondering if it's because we only have the one dog that they are more likely to want to have company. It's just a thought!! :D
-
just the one for me but Jo has more than one.
I understand you worryng Sox, I have wondered about it too but I just put it down to us spending so much time together. I remember her breeder telling me that Mali's dad was exactly the same, wherever she goes, he goes too. It's good to know that it's nothing out of the ordinary.
-
Just the one for me as well but don't think it would change her if there was another dog in the house.
-
Do you think if you move his bed from the conservatory to the living room in the evenings he might settle in the same room as you rather than walking back and forward? I think it sounds like he wants to be in his bed but also wants to know that you're still there. I don't think any of my 3 would be happy in another room if we were sitting in the living room, they like to be where we are. Occasionally Tilly will take herself off for a snooze in the bedroom but she always comes back in to check on us. If I tell Tilly and Rodaidh to settle on their sofa in the living room they will but if I get up and leave the room Rodaidh will always follow me unless I tell him to stay and even then he'll sit looking at the door til I get back. Caoimhe is practically surgically attached to me and although she settles well in her crate in the bedroom at night if she's asleep at any other time she has to be touching me, she's lying on my feet as I type this and if I move she'll follow me, she and Rodaidh almost always end up in the bathroom with me. I don't mind it tbh, I like them being around me.
-
Milly is a velcro dog too! ::) and yes, I've just got the one.
-
I get followed everywhere - the bathroom is my only private sanctuary and even then they both sit outside waiting.
If the bathroom door is slightly open, they sneak in and sit outside the shower like two peeping Toms!
I just think it's dead cute.
-
Do you think if you move his bed from the conservatory to the living room in the evenings he might settle in the same room as you rather than walking back and forward?
We have tried this and he always goes and lies down where his bed is in the conservatory ph34r this is when his bed is in the lounge......... >:(
He seems too like being in the conservatory rather than the lounge except when he is wondering.... if that makes any sense.
Will try this again tom night and see if that makes any differnce, Sox when lieing down is practically a foot warmer and also likes too get as close to me as possible, if he stays lieing down by my feet I have no probs with that at all.
-
I was wondering if it's because we only have the one dog that they are more likely to want to have company. It's just a thought!! :D
no, try living with 5 little shadows (more when the cats decide to join too) ph34r ::) :005:
-
I was wondering if it's because we only have the one dog that they are more likely to want to have company. It's just a thought!! :D
no, try living with 5 little shadows (more when the cats decide to join too) ph34r ::) :005:
I know that feeling too, you feel like a terrible mum when you have too move :005:
-
Maybe put his bed in the living room, close the conservatory door and give him a chew or something in his bed to keep him occupied, that might work to get him used to settling there.
I have 3 so it's definitely not just a single dog thing! Tilly isn't quite so bad as the other two though.
-
I've had 2 of Surfer Rosa's Cockers staying a lot and they do it too now that they know me better, even to the point of them being in the little downstairs toilet with me! :005:
Puppy Duggie is starting to do it, but he's not always aware that I've moved at first if he's busy with a toy, it's so funny watching him race into the wrong room to find me. :lol2:
Would you not consider allowing Sox on the sofa for a cuddle with you when you're watching tv? Or you could sit on the floor with him. :D
-
Roly follows me everywhere, however I do make sure that he can't follow me whenever he wants to. Have child gate to stop him leaving the kitchen if necessary. Misha, is the opposite, once she's settled down to sleep, she will stay put. When I'm working during the day Roly will come and sleep between the wheels of my office chair which can be awkward if I get up quickly, I'm always worried that he'll get his fur or tail caught, so I just send him to his bed. He has quite a good stay and if I ask him to stay he will do. Most of the time he just wants to be able to see me, and I think I'd miss it if he didn't do it.
-
Jenny used to follow me every where and when lois comes to stay he follows me aswell and now little penny follows me and prefers to sleep on my knee or on my feet.
-
Another velcro dog here too! :005:
Pippa has beds all over the house ph34r
She's fine when we go out though. On weekends if we're moving around a lot we get dirty looks as if to say will you guys either stay in one room or go out so I can sleep in peace! ::)
I love having her close by, but like someone said feel a bit guilty disturbing her sometimes! ph34r
-
Do you think if you move his bed from the conservatory to the living room in the evenings he might settle in the same room as you rather than walking back and forward? I think it sounds like he wants to be in his bed but also wants to know that you're still there. I don't think any of my 3 would be happy in another room if we were sitting in the living room, they like to be where we are. Occasionally Tilly will take herself off for a snooze in the bedroom but she always comes back in to check on us. If I tell Tilly and Rodaidh to settle on their sofa in the living room they will but if I get up and leave the room Rodaidh will always follow me unless I tell him to stay and even then he'll sit looking at the door til I get back. Caoimhe is practically surgically attached to me and although she settles well in her crate in the bedroom at night if she's asleep at any other time she has to be touching me, she's lying on my feet as I type this and if I move she'll follow me, she and Rodaidh almost always end up in the bathroom with me. I don't mind it tbh, I like them being around me.
this could be my three, they are the same apart from sleeping in the crate, they do everything you have said, :lol2: and i like it like that, they are part of the family, Sox do you think he could be abit confused as you are sending him to his bed alot, could he be wanting to stay in with you but knows you are going to send him out again so is restless, if i kept sending any of mine out to their beds they would thinl they had done something wrong (not that i ever send them to bed as a punishment) they just wouldnt understand, i literally almost always have one or the other sitting on me, never mind next to me :005: :005:
-
Maybe put his bed in the living room, close the conservatory door and give him a chew or something in his bed to keep him occupied, that might work to get him used to settling there.
I have 3 so it's definitely not just a single dog thing! Tilly isn't quite so bad as the other two though.
Have 3 here too.....& all are followers too. Anyone else could leave the room & nothing :shades: ...but I move & so do they......I'm used to it now & don't really mind. We had a friends Bernese Mountain dog to stay last week & he was exactly the same.... not easy spending a penny with 4 dogs sat staring at you ph34r >:( >:(
-
.... not easy spending a penny with 4 dogs sat staring at you ph34r >:( >:(
:005: :lol2: :005: :lol2: Oska does this too but as soon as I reach for the toilet paper (sorry if too much info) he reverses back out and lies down and waits in the hall ;)
-
Jo - it's a cocker thing :005:
.... not easy spending a penny with 4 dogs sat staring at you ph34r >:( >:(
:005: :lol2: :005: :lol2: Oska does this too but as soon as I reach for the toilet paper (sorry if too much info) he reverses back out and lies down and waits in the hall ;)
Blimey I wish I was just stared at - if i don't shut her out she is sat on my lap for cuddles :005:
-
::) Flo follows me everywhere as well, but I don't see it as a problem at all :-\
-
I've got two cockers. Paddy's hobby is sleeping so he will go and settle down but Murphy is my little black shadow. He follows me everywhere and he does the staring thing too. I must admit I love it and I talk to them all the time (if the neighbours could hear they would think I'm mad!).
Murphy has a poorly leg at the moment and the only way I can get him to rest is to put him in his pen and me sit on the sofa next to it - house looks a right state 'cus I haven't been able to clean it (thats my excuse anyway!)
Suzie
x
-
I have 2 cockers aged 5 month one follows me everywhere the other just chills out (I think he enjoys the peace on his own).I wondered if it was a cocker thing as well as this is the first time I have owned them.Both of them lie on my feet when I am cooking which does stress me out as I worry about hot food and the cooker but they seem to keep thier distance.
-
Belle follows me everywhere ph34r I am assuming its just cos she is a puppy, but after reading the other posts, maybe not. I feel quite sorry for her in the evening when she is obviously tired as I tend not to sit still for very long, she will be fast asleep at my feet and no matter how carefully and quietly I try to slip out she follows me. She follows me to the toilet, watches me when I am in the bath and now even sleeps in our bedroom :005: I don't mind one bit though as she is gorgeous and I love her :luv: :luv:
-
If he's only doing it when you're both there then that's a different matter. If it's jealousy then whichever one of you he is least bonded to should build on the bond so he sees you both as equal. Or you could just shut him out if hes happy enough with that.
-
I just thought it was normal for a cocker to follow you everywhere :005:,
I still take a giant step away from the chair as I was so used to Ben lying under my legs, I've even done this in restaurants which looked a bit odd, I admit :005:.
I even miss the whining outside the bathroom door but I drew the line at having him in there with me!
Would he not settle down near you with a stuffed bone or a Kong to occupy him for a while?
-
Gari followed me constantly no matter where I went, even if I just got up to switch on a lamp or something. He just wanted to be with me, so he would sit up against me on the couch and I'd have my arm round him until he fell asleep, but sometimes he would just jump down of his own accord and lie down, probably because he knew he could come back up and have all my attention if he wanted it, so he felt secure. :D
I loved it. :luv:
me too, I grew up with Cockers and just think it's the norm ph34r Have Cavvy Maisie who doesn't do it at all...so I reckon a Cocker thing.....so wish I could go to toilet in peace :005:
-
is he a bit insecure around your OH?
I have a 'follower' but it's not intrusive and I wouldn't want it any other way :luv:
-
Mine follow me too, (think they are afraid of missing something :005: ) doesn't worry me tho, at least I know what Katie is doing when I can see her ;)
-
is he a bit insecure around your OH?
I have a 'follower' but it's not intrusive and I wouldn't want it any other way :luv:
ermmmm no he is fine with oh! if im not around he is as good as gold, but as soon as I appear then the hip attachment appears ;)
-
I have a 'follower' but it's not intrusive and I wouldn't want it any other way :luv:
Mine are the same - not all the time and not always both together an dosmetimes accompanied by a cat that's following me around at theat moment (take your pick).
When I have fosters in I do try to stop them (fosters) from following me everywhere though as their clinginess can easily lead to SA