CockersOnline Forum

Cocker Specific Discussion => Puppies => Topic started by: rwasinski on July 23, 2009, 07:57:49 PM

Title: Steps gate
Post by: rwasinski on July 23, 2009, 07:57:49 PM
Hiya everyone

We want to be able to protect Blodwen from climbing three small steps in our garden which lead up onto a decked raised area which we really don't want her climbing onto. There are three steps which we need to block off somehow as I don't want to risk her falling off the side of the decked area. The steps are around half a meter in width and there is no wall as such each side so a traditional 'baby-gate' would not be suitable.

Does anyone have any ideas on how we could block these steps off to prevent her climbing up them (afraid she will hurt her joints too as she jumps up and down the steps).
Title: Re: Steps gate
Post by: Joules on July 23, 2009, 08:00:37 PM
Put a row of plants in pots along the bottom step?  ;)  If you don't need to use the steps yourselves for now could you just put some mesh round  stuck into the ground with bamboo sticks?
Title: Re: Steps gate
Post by: vikki.k on July 23, 2009, 08:07:47 PM
We used to use fences to stop them getting to certain parts of the garden. Have also found they are brilliant for taking on holiday if there is no secure garden we join 4 or 5 together and make a safe garden for them.

These are like we have, but we just open them up wide.
http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-2+dog/category-is-2i+kennels+pens+and+flaps/category-is-2i03+pens+and+gates/product-is-23998

Could you use one to put round the steps?
Title: Re: Steps gate
Post by: black taz on July 23, 2009, 08:09:43 PM
you could attach some cheap trellis fencing as a temporary solution until she is old enough
Title: Re: Steps gate
Post by: Lily Freya on July 23, 2009, 09:31:54 PM
Hiya everyone

We want to be able to protect Blodwen from climbing three small steps in our garden which lead up onto a decked raised area which we really don't want her climbing onto. There are three steps which we need to block off somehow as I don't want to risk her falling off the side of the decked area. The steps are around half a meter in width and there is no wall as such each side so a traditional 'baby-gate' would not be suitable.

Does anyone have any ideas on how we could block these steps off to prevent her climbing up them (afraid she will hurt her joints too as she jumps up and down the steps).
I wander if I can explain what my husband did....I'll have a go.

Take one piece of chipboard cut to the width of the step, and of reasonable depth. .........then another shorter length.  Hinge them at the top......and then place the shorter side on one step, and the longer one of the ground. This forms a barrier.  Is that as clear as mud????  It is easy to lift off, and doesn't require any bolting the slant keeps in firmly in place.  We use this on our stairs.  I can send a pickie if it is not clear.
Title: Re: Steps gate
Post by: rwasinski on July 23, 2009, 09:39:51 PM
Ooo actually some great ideas...I hadnt thought about actually forming a barrier using a pen panels going right around the steps area although I think that would deffo work.

Lily Freya - your husband sounds very handy with the old DIY - I'm afraid my hubby isn't quite so handy with a screwdriver or saw :005: but a photo would be really handy if you have the time in order for us to visualise. I can see a trip to PAH or B&Q this weekend coming on.

We have bit long trough type potted plants which we could use on the bottom step, but we have herbs in them (mint, oregano, basil etc) which she appears to LOVE to chew - those are the only thing she goes for, plant wise at the mo, I'm wondering if its the smell she is attracted to!!