CockersOnline Forum

Cocker Specific Discussion => Puppies => Topic started by: sassie on July 24, 2009, 06:42:35 PM

Title: Calling all Puppy owners......
Post by: sassie on July 24, 2009, 06:42:35 PM
How are you getting on with leaving overnight?  Larnie loves her puppy pen, and puts herself there in the day for her snoozes but wouldn't be left at night, so I have been on the sofa whilst she is in her pen with all the lights off and no TV.

Last night she fell asleep in her pen at 12:30 midnight and I crept upstairs and was re-united with my bed (it was a beautiful moment  :005:) AND she didn't wake me up until 6:00 a.m. when she called to me.  She had done a wee at one end of the pen, and did another when I let her out, so heres hoping for tonight!!

How are you all getting on?
Title: Re: Calling all Puppy owners......
Post by: puppy love on July 24, 2009, 07:36:32 PM
Saffie is 4 months and so far she has been dry for 1 night only. We leave her in the kitchen at about 10.15 and get up at about 6.30 ish . Sometimes there is a big wee and poo or just a poo  :005: But during this last week she is definately better. I can see light at the end of the tunnel .
Title: Re: Calling all Puppy owners......
Post by: rwasinski on July 24, 2009, 08:26:07 PM
Blodwen is 11 weeks tomorrow. She arrived last Sat and was a little noisy just as we put her to bed around 10 o'clock.

We were getting up at 3am for the first few nights to take her out but I was finding that I couldn't function properly in the day, just too exhausted. She was doing a number two during the night and crying at around 3pm but we have taken to feeding her at 5-6pm and no more later in the evening and take her out to the toilet just before bed time which seems to be working so far.

Now she sleeps and is quiet all the night through from 10 pm to 6am when we get up. When we go down to her at 6am, she has done a number one and number two but it's 'new' and she hasn't been sitting there all night next to it, I think she does it just as she hears us stirring upstairs and coming down to her. We still take her out as the first thing we do when we go down to her.

She actually seems to love her crate and we have a play pen attached to give her more room and space. She never cries when we put her in there. (touch wood!) She never goes to toilet in her actual crate, always in the space outside in her play pen during the night. She sees her crate and pen as 'quiet down time' space and is very well behaved when she is put in there. We are so glad and relieved about this!  :D
Title: Re: Calling all Puppy owners......
Post by: puppy love on July 24, 2009, 08:31:46 PM
How funny, I think Saffs does too when she hears me get up. now i tip toe downstairs with the minimal amount of fuss and try to get to her before she does it. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't !! I am just praying for the day that her bladder can hold it  :lol2:
Title: Re: Calling all Puppy owners......
Post by: Rats and Dogs on July 24, 2009, 08:39:19 PM
Duggie has been good so far, from his first night with us 2 weeks ago he has gone upstairs to his crate around 1am after a bedtime pee, and has cried around 6 or 7am to go out to the toilet. He then has breakfast, goes out again and goes back to sleep. :D I think because his night crate is small, he won't use it as a toilet, so always lets us know when he needs to go.

When I get back to work he'll have to go to bed earlier, around 11pm, so I expect he'll get up with OH at 5am, but at the moment he doesn't even budge when OH gets up, showers and gets dressed - and he's in the same room as us! :o :005:
Title: Re: Calling all Puppy owners......
Post by: rwasinski on July 24, 2009, 08:44:05 PM
I think this is where we may need at adapt our current approach. If we closed her in her crate all night (which she doesn't seem to mind us doing for a few moments during the day time) instead of allowing her the additional play pen space over night, she would then cry before actually doing any number ones or number twos in the morning. Perhaps we should experiment over the weekend.
Title: Re: Calling all Puppy owners......
Post by: JaspersMum on July 24, 2009, 09:12:19 PM
Charlie has been here a week today and is 10 weeks old Monday.  The first few nights he made a real din and we were up a few times, mainly because it was kickcing the boys off too..  >:( He really isn't keen being in the crate but is happy with the puppy pen so there might be a few changes if he doesn't settle better soon.  Reluctant to give in though as we are getting there. He slept till after 6.30am this morning and only shouted then when he heard OH going to work.

He's already a relly good boy at going out for wees  :angel:
Title: Re: Calling all Puppy owners......
Post by: sassie on July 24, 2009, 10:24:32 PM
Larnie is great at going out for wees and poo's so that's OK.  :blink:

I tried her with the cage in the bedroom, with her vet-bed that smells of her mum and siblings, but she shook and cried - I took her downstairs, and she was 'oh thank goodness I am at home again!  ::)) and settled straight to sleep in her pen, so I think I will keep her sleeping in there for the moment.

I don't mean this in a horrid way but it's good to know that I'm not the only one suffering from lack of sleep.... :lol2: