CockersOnline Forum

Cocker Specific Discussion => Puppies => Topic started by: sassie on July 24, 2009, 10:32:25 PM

Title: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: sassie on July 24, 2009, 10:32:25 PM
I have spent the most of this evening taking snails off of Larnie, she is fascinated by them ::).  She watches them outside for ages, then brings one in and barks at it - whereby I distract her with a toy and show the snail the door....  She has now twigged that I do this, and so has started putting them under a blanket in her pen, or in her hidey cardboard box - they still get evicted from the Big Sassy House!
Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: bajoleth on July 24, 2009, 10:35:43 PM
Belle loves snails and slugs too ph34r, she forever has the slime around her mouth and its really hard to get off, but because of the threat of lungworm I am constantly getting rid of them and washing the slime off madams mouth. She does have advocate but I really would prefer it if she would just leave well alone >:D
Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: JennyBee on July 24, 2009, 10:37:20 PM
I agree, I would try and keep her away from them because of lungworm ph34r. I recently stopped walking in an area covered with them, don't know what I'd do if they invaded the garden :-\
Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: sassie on July 24, 2009, 10:40:35 PM
Oh no! I didn't know this.  I do try to distract her and take them off of her as quickly as possible - I will be more vigilant and firm from now on, is it only if she eats one or can she get the lungworm from putting one in her mouth?
Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: JennyBee on July 24, 2009, 10:43:29 PM
I think I'm right in saying even the trail snails leave can carry lungworm. It's quite worrying, don't think there's been any cases around my area but it's getting more widespread :-\
Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: sassie on July 24, 2009, 10:53:23 PM
It's so worrying,and she thinks they are marvellous - hope we get better weather soon...
Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: kalem on July 24, 2009, 11:14:31 PM
I think I'm right in saying even the trail snails leave can carry lungworm. It's quite worrying, don't think there's been any cases around my area but it's getting more widespread :-\

Jen your right  :D There was a video playing at the Vets tonight when the Lemster went for his ear check, and it was saying its on the increase and if your dog has been near snails slugs or frogs or snail trails, to call the Vet for advice, im not trying to worry anyone but would really try to discourage any dog going near them  :shades:
Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: sassie on July 24, 2009, 11:37:11 PM
She's at the vets tomorrow for her final injection, so I will have a word with him, unfortunately because we live in the country near a stream, we have all sorts of creatures around, although I do watch her all the time, it is worrying - wondering whether there is anything I can spray on them that wouldn't effect Larnie..
Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: puppy love on July 25, 2009, 08:09:20 AM
Can you possibly post what the vet says. I posted on here that Indie was very sick the other night, she is fine now but we think it might have been from a frog. Another thing that is freaking me out is with all this wet humid weather, we are getting tiny mushrooms growing in the garden and the dogs are hoovering them up.... which is not good either. I don't know these dogs are a worry  :luv:
Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: elaine.e on July 25, 2009, 08:44:47 AM
Can you possibly post what the vet says. I posted on here that Indie was very sick the other night, she is fine now but we think it might have been from a frog. Another thing that is freaking me out is with all this wet humid weather, we are getting tiny mushrooms growing in the garden and the dogs are hoovering them up.... which is not good either. I don't know these dogs are a worry  :luv:

We have the little mushrooms/toadstools as well and William was interested in them when he was a puppy. They seem to appear overnight so I used to go out first thing in the morning and try to pick them and bin them while William was peeing. It was quite tricky to do though, because if he saw me he'd come and look at what I was doing. He lost interest eventually, but I'll have to watch Louis when I get him in case he takes a shine to them. Snails and slugs are my other worry with Louis. We have a very mature, woodlandy garden and there's loads of snails and slugs around.
Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: Joules on July 25, 2009, 08:57:21 AM
Coco has never ever shown any interest in slugs or snails .................... until last night when she found some and I just couldn't get her to leave them alone  ::)  Hope she will lose interest soon as my garden is full of the little bleeders  >:D
Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: puppy love on July 25, 2009, 11:33:45 AM
I try to pick them up too elaine, but we have such a big garden, it is impossible. I really don't know what the answer is.... :luv:
Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: puppy love on July 25, 2009, 11:37:46 AM

We have the little mushrooms/toadstools as well and William was interested in them when he was a puppy. They seem to appear overnight so I used to go out first thing in the morning and try to pick them and bin them while William was peeing. It was quite tricky to do though, because if he saw me he'd come and look at what I was doing. He lost interest eventually, but I'll have to watch Louis when I get him in case he takes a shine to them. Snails and slugs are my other worry with Louis. We have a very mature, woodlandy garden and there's loads of snails and slugs around.

Sorry... i meant picking up mushrooms - I'm just learning how to post ....
Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: Mittens on July 25, 2009, 03:57:41 PM
we get loads of slugs and snails in our garden (like zillions) and Eddie does occasionally pick them up - which is a massive worry cos I know someone who nearly lost their lurcher to lungworm recently - our vet gives us Milbemax which is a broad based worming tablet that helps combat all types of worm - be careful - don't want to worry anyone unecessarily but our vet even told us not to leave his toys outside cos of snail trails!
Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: drika on July 26, 2009, 11:04:41 AM
I too have aproblem with this. Splodge goes out at night and finds them. Disgusting!
Took her to the vet and got some stuff for lungworm, which seems all I can do really.Lets all hope for a scorching August.
Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: sassie on July 26, 2009, 12:02:58 PM
Can you possibly post what the vet says. I posted on here that Indie was very sick the other night, she is fine now but we think it might have been from a frog. Another thing that is freaking me out is with all this wet humid weather, we are getting tiny mushrooms growing in the garden and the dogs are hoovering them up.... which is not good either. I don't know these dogs are a worry  :luv:

Chatted with the vet about this yesterday, and she said that although it is true that she could catch lungworm from the snails, one of the wormers that are available (she was confused as to which one) does guard against lungworm.   Also she said that in this part of the country, Cambridgeshire, it is very rare - but is much more common in the South West of the country.

She asked me to keep an eye on her, and remove them from her as soon as possible, but not to spray anything in the garden as she is so young.

Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: puppy love on July 26, 2009, 12:08:09 PM
O.k thanks i will just be vigillant  :shades:

Mims
Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: JennyBee on July 26, 2009, 12:24:59 PM
Here's a recent thread on lungworm, there are a couple of interesting links in it :blink:

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=60650.msg875157#msg875157
Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: sassie on July 26, 2009, 08:14:54 PM
Here's a recent thread on lungworm, there are a couple of interesting links in it :blink:

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=60650.msg875157#msg875157

Thanks JennyBee  :-*
Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: annG on July 26, 2009, 10:37:21 PM
I had that too. with jaffa, every time he went out he would find a slug.

It stoped as soon as it started.

did not realize the were bad, I just hated him with them.
Title: Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
Post by: sharonmansfield on July 27, 2009, 09:20:42 PM
Oh no something else for me to worry about, I live in the countryside there are loads of huge ginger ones. I actually do go out at night and pick them up (with a tissue) and throw them in the compost bin as they eat all my plants - the few left that the pups have not destroyed that is.
They don't tend to bother with them anymore but there are plenty of slime trails everywhere.