CockersOnline Forum

Cocker Specific Discussion => Puppies => Topic started by: drika on July 26, 2009, 11:02:36 AM

Title: leads,leads and more leads!!
Post by: drika on July 26, 2009, 11:02:36 AM
Splodge has managed to chew through three puppy leads. Luckily,it has been while I have stopped for a quick chat with a neighbour, and she has sat so patiently, I should have known better! When they are quiet, you should be suspicious! Well, I now have a chain lead which is  heavy and hard to grip when it rains. As she is still at the pulling stage, it it quite hard work.The vet said it will hurt me, not Splodge!
Has anyone found a good lead which is likely to survive puppy teeth. Have looked online but they all seem to be the same nylon ones . Dont mind the cost just for peace of mind. Suggestions really welcome!!
Title: Re: leads,leads and more leads!!
Post by: Crazy Cocker Gang on July 26, 2009, 11:07:43 AM
Can i ask is it a chain lead with a clip on to his collar or does the chain go around his neck??????
Title: Re: leads,leads and more leads!!
Post by: drika on July 26, 2009, 11:13:29 AM
Oh no,I attach it to a puppy collar. Wouldnt use a chain on her delicate neck.
Title: Re: leads,leads and more leads!!
Post by: Crazy Cocker Gang on July 26, 2009, 11:17:51 AM
Thats good  :D Its scary how many vets/vet nurses would advice you to  >:(

I would get a really strong nylon lead or a rope lead and just keep a close eye on him that hes not chewing it. Maybe give him something to chew on or carry like a small toy  :huh:
Title: Re: leads,leads and more leads!!
Post by: ClareB on July 26, 2009, 01:12:15 PM
Lupine leads are nylon, but pretty tough.  The Lupine leads and collars are guaranteed for life, even against chewing so I think they must be pretty chew-proof.  I've had them in the past for my 2 and they certainly seem pretty robust, although they're not lead-chewers.   ;)
Title: Re: leads,leads and more leads!!
Post by: spanielcrazy on July 26, 2009, 02:52:30 PM
Lupine leads are nylon, but pretty tough.  The Lupine leads and collars are guaranteed for life, even against chewing so I think they must be pretty chew-proof.  I've had them in the past for my 2 and they certainly seem pretty robust, although they're not lead-chewers.   ;)


Yes, those or Mendota leads:

http://www.dogtrainingsupplies.co.uk/page3.htm

You can also make home made leads by just buying some stout cotton rope, knotting the ends and attaching a snap. A cheap solution till she gets over the chewing.

The problem with the chain leads is that they can get their teeth stuck in the links and break the teeth  :-\
Title: Re: leads,leads and more leads!!
Post by: 6thSense on July 26, 2009, 03:00:09 PM
What about a horse lead rope as they are quite strong.  ;)
Title: Re: leads,leads and more leads!!
Post by: Rats and Dogs on July 26, 2009, 04:40:56 PM
I've got a Halti Training Lead, I always used it with Gari on its own without a halti, it's very strong and doesn't cut into your hands as it's softer than nylon. Gari sometimes chewed his lead, but he could never get through that one. :D

http://www.dogtrainingproducts.co.uk/halti-training-lead.php
Title: Re: leads,leads and more leads!!
Post by: silly milly on July 26, 2009, 05:35:52 PM
my goodness - thats good value!
Title: Re: leads,leads and more leads!!
Post by: Rats and Dogs on July 26, 2009, 05:57:19 PM
my goodness - thats good value!
I think I paid £6.99 for mine, but it was still excellent value.

This is it after 2 and a half years of being chewed. Gari chewed through 2 flexi leads before I got that one. :D

(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/fiona2348/019-10.jpg)
Title: Re: leads,leads and more leads!!
Post by: Jeanette on July 26, 2009, 06:37:48 PM
I use the Ruffwear one and its very strong.   The width of the lead is pretty wide and is the most comfortablest lead I've used. 

http://www.ruffwear.com/Flat-Out-Leash_2
Title: Re: leads,leads and more leads!!
Post by: drika on July 26, 2009, 07:47:44 PM
Gosh, thanks so much for all your advice. Where would I be without you!
Title: Re: leads,leads and more leads!!
Post by: Mudmagnets on July 27, 2009, 11:01:09 AM
my goodness - thats good value!
I think I paid £6.99 for mine, but it was still excellent value.

This is it after 2 and a half years of being chewed. Gari chewed through 2 flexi leads before I got that one. :D

(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/fiona2348/019-10.jpg)


Not sure what make mine are but one (except for colour) looks a lot like that. I like the idea of a ring - so that when they are offlead I can just fasten them and carry the leads on me - that way no chance of putting them down and forgetting to pick them up.
Title: Re: leads,leads and more leads!!
Post by: Rats and Dogs on July 27, 2009, 12:43:24 PM
Not sure what make mine are but one (except for colour) looks a lot like that. I like the idea of a ring - so that when they are offlead I can just fasten them and carry the leads on me - that way no chance of putting them down and forgetting to pick them up.
I clip it round my waist, although sometimes it doesn't fit, so it then goes round my neck, it's difficult to lose it! :005:
Title: Re: leads,leads and more leads!!
Post by: silly milly on July 27, 2009, 09:02:07 PM
i have leads very similar to this, but in the softest toughest leather.    i have had them nearly 2 years and they are still as good as new - mind you, when  they get very wet i saddle soap them!

i think they cost me about £13.00 each from a local well known shop in manchester.   they are very handy cos you can use them as a long lead, short lead or 2 inbetween sizes.    you can also clip 2 dogs to one end of each lead.