CockersOnline Forum

Cocker Specific Discussion => Puppies => Topic started by: rwasinski on July 27, 2009, 09:24:46 PM

Title: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: rwasinski on July 27, 2009, 09:24:46 PM
Blodwen is due her next lot of worming tablets on Friday and as this will be our first time giving them to her, can anyone recommend the best way to make sure she takes them.

Should we hide them in with her food (dry food)?
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: mcphee on July 27, 2009, 09:26:59 PM
Ground up in primula cheese?
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: Maria n Dennis on July 27, 2009, 09:29:02 PM
Dennis was (is) so greedy , i didnt have too many problems worming him. I just squished it into a small chunk of cheese or cooked sausage and it went down in one  :005:
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: BettyBoo on July 27, 2009, 09:31:26 PM
Sausage here. It doesn't touch the sides ::)
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: sharonmansfield on July 27, 2009, 09:32:15 PM
Oh how I hate worming time, when mine were pups they had Drontal suspension so I just syringed it down their throats, it was so easy, but tablets are another matter. >:(
I try and hide them in food such as a chunk of sausage or chicken, something they will bolt down. I have tried putting them in the back of the throat and rubbing to make them swallow but they still manage to spit them out.  >:D
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: JennyBee on July 27, 2009, 09:35:31 PM
Ground up in primula cheese?

I use primula cheese! Brodie looooves it :shades:
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: Nicola on July 27, 2009, 09:36:12 PM
If you don't want to just open her mouth, pop it in as far back as you can and hold her head up until she swallows and then give a biscuit chaser which is what I do with my lot you could try putting it in her food (crushed or whole), pushing it into a bit of cheese or wrapping it in ham. For really fussy tablet takers crushing it and mixing with something smelly like sardines usually works.
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: kalem on July 27, 2009, 09:47:59 PM
Two bits of livercake with tablet hidden in the middle, down in one  ;)
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: MegandMolly on July 27, 2009, 09:48:59 PM
Tuna sandwich  :D
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: ElaineH on July 27, 2009, 10:26:53 PM
Any of the above suggestions work well but with Morgan I just pop it in with his kibble and he doesn't notice anything odd!  :005:
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: Joules on July 28, 2009, 08:47:09 AM
Any of the above suggestions work well but with Morgan I just pop it in with his kibble and he doesn't notice anything odd!  :005:

Same here - the benefit of having a greedy pig for a dog  ph34r :lol2:
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: Sarah.H on July 28, 2009, 12:10:53 PM
Hide it in a bit of lovely food (like cheese or chicken) then 'accidently' drop it on the floor, if she's anything like any of our dogs she'll dive on it and swallow without chewing  :005:.
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: SimonandMandy on July 28, 2009, 12:21:03 PM
wrapped in ham here - works every time
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: Han on July 28, 2009, 12:52:25 PM
Any of the above suggestions work well but with Morgan I just pop it in with his kibble and he doesn't notice anything odd!  :005:

Same here - the benefit of having a greedy pig for a dog  ph34r :lol2:

same here too!  :005:
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: september on July 28, 2009, 03:01:47 PM
I shove it in a bit of cheese, she is such a fat pig she just swallows cheese without chewing!  As someone else has said pretending the tablet is something yummy then 'accidentaly' dropping it on the floor also works here!! She dives on it and gobbles it up!
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: Rats and Dogs on July 28, 2009, 05:18:16 PM
Duggie took his last week squashed into a bit of cheese, it didn't touch the sides either, gutsy pig-pup! :005:
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: supergirl on July 28, 2009, 06:24:37 PM
Sandwiched between two pieces of cheese - doesn't touch the sides with my two.  Sometimes I think if I just gave the tablet they would eat it anyway.
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: rwasinski on July 28, 2009, 07:16:16 PM
Looks like cheese or meat is the way to go.

What type of cheese do you normally use? I read somewhere about not using 'unpasturised'. Should we just opt for Welsh cheddar?  :lol2:
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: *jean* on July 28, 2009, 07:16:44 PM
I throw a treat then the tablet .. all are fooled except pepper  ph34r .. once liath dived in and grabbed her tablet as well so maybe not such a good idea if you have more than one dog!  ph34r I wrap peppers in a bit laughing cow triangle! that always works. ;)
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: Nicola on July 28, 2009, 07:25:09 PM
Looks like cheese or meat is the way to go.

What type of cheese do you normally use? I read somewhere about not using 'unpasturised'. Should we just opt for Welsh cheddar?  :lol2:

Normal cheddar is fine, I usually buy the cheapest supermarket own label stuff to give the dogs as treats.
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: rwasinski on July 28, 2009, 07:30:21 PM
Brilliant - will get some basic cheddar ready for Friday  :D
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: sharonmansfield on July 28, 2009, 07:56:32 PM
Mine have basic cheddar too, I also use it for a special training treat as they adore it
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: bluegirl on July 28, 2009, 08:33:28 PM
If she's a pig like Bronte just give it her and she'll eat it, if not stick it in a bit of soft food and it'll go down a treat...less she's a clever cunning little one. :005:
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: CrunchyMand on July 29, 2009, 04:49:51 PM
Oscar was given Drontal flavour- think it was beef flavoured. Anyway I pushed it into some cheese and he wolfed the lot down.
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: EmmaA on July 29, 2009, 05:55:23 PM
I normally drop it on the floor next to me and then bend down. As soon as my 2 think they are pinching something it goes straight down in a nano second  :005:
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: Nicola on July 29, 2009, 06:12:15 PM
I normally drop it on the floor next to me and then bend down. As soon as my 2 think they are pinching something it goes straight down in a nano second  :005:

If I did that here old Quick Draw McGraw Tilly would get 3 tablets and Rodaidh and Caoimhe would get nothing :lol2:
Title: Re: Best way for Blodwen to take her worming tablets
Post by: EmmaA on July 29, 2009, 06:13:40 PM
I normally drop it on the floor next to me and then bend down. As soon as my 2 think they are pinching something it goes straight down in a nano second  :005:

If I did that here old Quick Draw McGraw Tilly would get 3 tablets and Rodaidh and Caoimhe would get nothing :lol2:


:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: