CockersOnline Forum
Cocker Specific Discussion => Behaviour & Training => Topic started by: Maria n Dennis on July 29, 2009, 12:41:04 PM
-
I have never done this before with any previous dogs , but as i keep hearing it mentioned on here , i would like to find out a little more and maybe give it a try.
So what am i going to need , where do i get it from and where do i start when i get it ?
Thanks in advane :D
-
There is a free course you can do - it's talked about in this thread
If you scroll down there are links to every lesson later in the thread so you can get them all at once
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=47714.30
You can buy a clicker (and treats) at PAH :D
-
Top Barks has done a video showing how to introduce and use a clicker but cannot find the link at the minute.
-
Good link provided by Liz ;) that's how I got started too. Once you've got the dog understanding that click means reward (which Chloe seemed to get quite quickly) it's brilliant. I didn't do a lot until I went down to see Mark, but I have the clicker (and treat bag) at hand all the time now. I click any behaviour that I like and want to reinforce. At the mo, we're trying to use the clicker and a target to get Chloe to sit on a spot when she gets out the van. A work in progress :005: Important to remember that you don't HAVE to use treats, Chloe isn't very food oriented, so a play with squeaky ball, or lots of praise and fuss works for her as a reward too.
-
Top Barks has done a video showing how to introduce and use a clicker but cannot find the link at the minute.
Here's one link
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=41444.0
If you do a search in Videos for Clicker there's quite a bit that comes up ;)
Good luck - I find it really useful as it teaches me to get the timing right to tell Pebble exactly what I want :D
-
Have a looksie at these, a couple of the very first sessions I did with Alfie. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jogMHlmv5eY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFoLHsbqMiQ
-
Thanks for all your replies and thanks to everyone for the links .
Thanks Topbarks really enjoyed watching Alfie. Im going to try and get a clicker and treat bag tommorrow :D
-
Thanks OP and thanks for all the links. Time to start with Oscar!
-
Im off to get my clicker today :D
-
Im off to get my clicker today :D
Do let us know how you get on ;) I had to replace mine today (I think it decided it was being over used and it fell apart in my hand :005:) Got a nice little black one from our local pet shop with a bag of treats and a brilliant little training leaflet included. It's a Canac if anyone is interested.
-
Im off to get my clicker today :D
Do let us know how you get on ;) I had to replace mine today (I think it decided it was being over used and it fell apart in my hand :005:) Got a nice little black one from our local pet shop with a bag of treats and a brilliant little training leaflet included. It's a Canac if anyone is interested.
The best clicker I ended up using was one of those with a button and not the box style ones which get worn out and you can end up not getting the click in when you need it iyswim. The ones with the button never miss a click and are quick :D
-
Im off to get my clicker today :D
Do let us know how you get on ;) I had to replace mine today (I think it decided it was being over used and it fell apart in my hand :005:) Got a nice little black one from our local pet shop with a bag of treats and a brilliant little training leaflet included. It's a Canac if anyone is interested.
The best clicker I ended up using was one of those with a button and not the box style ones which get worn out and you can end up not getting the click in when you need it iyswim. The ones with the button never miss a click and are quick :D
Gosh now, you tell me Jeanette, it's a flippin box one that I've bought. I had a button one before >:( ;)
-
My clicker has a button and you can change the loudness. I used it this afternoon to try to get wait for throwing the ball. We got sit and wait a bit, which is progress, as he used to run the distance I could launch it by the time it had bounced. With a lot of effort we got walk to heel off lead looking at mummy, but I think this was more about the treat in my hand. I am now clicking when he looks at me at close quarters. It's got to be worth a try.