CockersOnline Forum
Cocker Specific Discussion => Genetics & Breeding => Topic started by: chriswilliams on June 20, 2012, 01:21:28 PM
-
I recently bought a Puppy from a KC assured breeder. I was told that the paperwork would follow as usual(this is the 3rd bitch I have bought from this breeder, no issues at all with the 1st two, all paperwork etc complete) My puppy is now 13weeks and we have recieved nothing. I managed to speak to the breeder (after numerous unanswered calls/emails) 3weeks ago and was told that the paperwork was with the KC and they were having problems with a backlog but she would contact them and sort it. All my emails/calls and left messages are ignored. The KC have told me that this breeder has not registered the litter. I paid the same price as I did 8months ago for a KC registered puppy with the pedigree. At no time was I told any different and I bought with good faith that my puppy was KC registered (she told me it was) and that the pedigree was intact. What can I do to resolve this if the breeder is ignoring my attempts to contact. The breeder is quite well known within the cocker spaniel circles.
-
As this is the 3rd puppy you have bought from this breeder & presumably you trusted him/her to go back 3 times, then i would guess it is just a case of waiting until the puppies are KC registered. :-\
Personally if i had the confidence/trust to go back to a breeder 3 times then i wouldn't be worrying about it. :shades:
It could just be they have been extremely busy & if they show their dogs its the height of show season now. :-\
Obviously i'm only surmising & imo i don't think it is acceptable, but on the other hand if you had any doubts, the KC certificate should have been picked up the same time as your puppy. :shades:
Hope you manage to get this sorted. :blink:
-
Darcey's took ages to come through if thats any help. I had really started to worry but all was well. ;)
-
Hi Chris
Sorry you're having this problem. Unfortunately, it happened to us too and has been a constant form of annoyance and upset over the past few months! Like Ninasmum, i do hope it is just because they are busy. It's sad when a previously good relationship breaks down. I'll try and summarise how things have gone, with us being in a similar situation.
We were very naive when we got Bingley ph34r in hindsight I would have been a lot less trusting and a lot more cautious. His breeder was recommended by some people who know, they never had any problems with them and everything had been perfect. When we first went to see him we were asked for suggestions for his full KC name after their affix, which we provided. When we went to pick him up we were told our suggestions had already been used, so they had to reapply using different names, so there was a delay in taking home the papers. We were told they would forward them onto us as soon as they arrived (this is actually even noted on our contract with them). Our relationship initially was great. I phoned the breeder about 3 times in the space of his first week at home with little niggles and questions, and she was happy to provide help and advice. We sent her emails, texts and pictures of him as he grew over the coming weeks. A couple of times we asked about progress with his registration and were promised it was all in the pipeline. Then, about four months ago they stopped responding to any contact from us. The KC are powerless in the situation, and we took advice from trading standards and my sister who is a solicitor. We've sent registered letters from us, my sister sent a letter as our solicitor. No response. We are very saddened that it has all come to this after such recommendations and a great start to our relationship. I get upset about it quite often, I hate feeling like I've been taken for a fool. I have learnt my lesson, and would never, ever, take a pup without papers again. Would I change Bingley? Not in a heartbeat. Sorry for the rant, :005: it's an incredibly frustrating situation to find yourself in.
Where you go from here depends on how far you wish to pursue the issue. It is very difficult, and frankly, I doubt very much that we will get anywhere with our chase. Do keep trying to contact them, and make sure you keep a record of all these attempts should you wish to pursue it further.
I really really hope that there is a genuine reason for this, and everything works well.
-
One of the rules of the AB's scheme is that registration documents should be given out at the time of collecting pup or as soon as. I would check with both KC and breeder again, if the breeder has genuinely sent off the documents for litter registration I'm sure they will be as eager to sort it out as you.
-
Thank you all for input it is much appreciated, coincidently I received a reply from the breeder yesterday by email with an apology for lack of contact (phone lost), and she has assurred me that KC have a backlog due to a systems change. She has promised to chase it up and she will forward the pedigree etc through to me by monday. I think I will now wait and see if the pedigree arrives before making any other 'moves'. Thank you all for your help, I will keep you updated and because I like this forum I will be back with any Cocker issues that may arise.
-
Glad to hear of your progress Chris :) I hope it all works out well!
-
Hi, I must be lucky then, LB's breeder got everything sorted before we picked him up, she only had to wait 10 days to get their registered names and paperwork back, so all the paperwork was ready on pickup & a month's insurance, I was able to change ownership on line because of them,
hope things sort out soon
-
Update.
Nothing arrived from breeder, so after a couple of calls I managed to make contact. Quote: Sorry, I have been ill but I promise to put the contract of sale and the pedigree in the post this week. I have been in touch with the KC and apparently they have held up the registration process because the Sire has not had an eye test for 18months and I did not know the time limit had changed, they (KC) had not informed me. I have booked him in at the vets next week to get this done and then I can get the KC to proceed with registering the litter. Unquote.
So it seems I am to wait again for a result, or, am I being fobbed off again with another time wasting tactic ?
( I am feeling cynical).
-
Update.
Nothing arrived from breeder, so after a couple of calls I managed to make contact. Quote: Sorry, I have been ill but I promise to put the contract of sale and the pedigree in the post this week. I have been in touch with the KC and apparently they have held up the registration process because the Sire has not had an eye test for 18months and I did not know the time limit had changed, they (KC) had not informed me. I have booked him in at the vets next week to get this done and then I can get the KC to proceed with registering the litter. Unquote.
So it seems I am to wait again for a result, or, am I being fobbed off again with another time wasting tactic ?
( I am feeling cynical).
Mmmmmmmmmm, not 100% that an ordinary vet can do the eye testing associated with Cocker spaniel! As I will have to book my boy into a special clinic!
More info here-
http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/glossary/screening-scheme.aspx?ReturnUrl=/services/public/mateselect/test/Default.aspx?data=01000000D08C9DDF0115D1118C7A00C04FC297EB01000000B8BBE11DE37BAA43B2490DBC7A47BF2B0400000002000000000003660000A800000010000000DE17B7F85D4CDC7521DCB69DE214B48D0000000004800000A000000010000000041244E22AA95D766B03C79F307D1FA120000000E7815818887019FC53F2C02C91D85AE289C046AEA17BF64CCAA4D066A7B752CE1400000091D6CD920E8227B3AA6E406C9042B2EA9664F87A&id=BVA%2fKC%2fISDS+Eye+Scheme
Hope you get it sorted
-
Not sure why the breeder didn't know that both parents have to have an eye test within the last 18 months for the ABS scheme - that's been the case for quite some time (a couple of years at least). It does hold things up if a breeder hasn't got the tests done but the KC do let you know when this happens - they usually send an email very quickly if the health tests aren't in order so the breeder wouldn't have had to wait weeks to find out :-\ I'm also puzzled why you didn't get the pedigree and contract of sale straight away - any contract is meaningless if not signed at the time of sale
Anyway, hope you get this sorted soon & it's just a case of illness causing the breeder not to be on top of things.
-
This is very odd as I was informed by the KC that they will register a cocker litter if the parents haven't been been tested they just wont register the litter as an assured breeder litter.
Surely at this late stage all I would want is the registration paperwork so I could transfer the puppy into my name. It makes no difference what status the breeder holds once a mating has occurred and puppies sold and eye testing the parents now wont make any difference to the puppies either.
-
The only time i had a problem with the ab scheme and the yearly eye tests was when the vet who did the test was slow to send his copies through to the kc. BUT....i faxed my copy through to the kc and they registered the litter the same day. I do hope that you go on okay :D
-
I always scan my certificates and email them to the KC, they get updated overnight then, I've had some not arrive at all when waiting for them to be sent from the eye testing panellist.
They won't register the litter, I know of an AB that had the same problem recently.
-
If the eye test are not up to date, it does hold up things a lot, I had the same problem, my bitches eye test was out of date at the time of mating and i forgot to get it done during pregnancy ( blonde moment!! ) So when I went to register the litter it was held up, as letters and emails and phonecalls weregoing back and forth to the KC to sort it out, the quickest why to registerthe litter was to register it, but not as a Assured Breeder, which i did, for quickness and now have my dogs tested yearly at the Cocker Club Show, as it's a good reminder for a blonde person that its time to book their tests in :blink:
-
UPDATE: The AB informed me last thurs that the documents were in the post, as of yesterday morning (tues) still nothing. The KC have advised me to get the sire and Dams names so they can check for registration themselves, they have also asked for details so they can take action and advised me to contact trading standards. I have sent the AB a request for the names yesterday.
-
What a shame this has still not been sorted :'(
-
Good luck
-
Any progress?
-
Sounds very suspect to me. The breeder is obviously dodging the issue. When we bought our pup, we picked him out, then the breeder emailed us with a choice of KC names, we picked one, not that we were bothered as it bares no resemblance to his 'real' name. When we went to collect him. He had his KC papers, one month insurance, vet certificate of docking of tail and certificate of chip and a copy of his family tree. I never thought anything of not getting the relevant papers but I can imagine how worrying and upsetting it must be especially since you've previously had a sound relationship with the breeder.
I reallly hope you have a satisfactory end to this problem.
-
UPDATE
I have now received all of the relevant papers, thank you all for your comments, help and support. I never did get to find out why it was an issue but just grateful that it is now sorted and complete. xx