Author Topic: Good quality kibbles which produce firm and small amounts of poos a day!  (Read 2833 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Geordietyke

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5228
  • Gender: Female
Sorry folks, yet another "bodily function" post from me  ph34r

Archie is currently on Royal Canin Medium Junior Puppy.  He loves it and wolfs it down but he is producing 4/5 large (and sometimes soft) poos a day which I think is excessive for a 4 month old.  I will be changing him over (gradually) to adult food when he's around 6 months old.

Which kibble have you used, which produce small amounts of poo, which are nice and firm? 

I am looking for good quality, high meat with little fillers/cereals etc and have previously used JWB (which Odie thrived on).  Cheers, Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Mudmagnets

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8409
  • Gender: Female
Re: Good quality kibbles which produce firm and small amounts of poos a day!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 10:29:20 AM »
Sorry folks, yet another "bodily function" post from me  ph34r

Archie is currently on Royal Canin Medium Junior Puppy.  He loves it and wolfs it down but he is producing 4/5 large (and sometimes soft) poos a day which I think is excessive for a 4 month old.  I will be changing him over (gradually) to adult food when he's around 6 months old.

Which kibble have you used, which produce small amounts of poo, which are nice and firm?  

I am looking for good quality, high meat with little fillers/cereals etc and have previously used JWB (which Odie thrived on).  Cheers, Lesley

If Odie was on JWB with good results, would it be worth trying their puppy food, until he is ready for Adult (I think you said you had half a bag of adult left ) or how about Burns Puppy, as Elaine suggested? I don't at the moment feed kibble - so maybe not the person to advise really

Instead of Food glorious food, how about

Poo, glorious poo,
wer'e anxious to tame it
that extra bit more
how can we restrain it?  

 ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22, and Minstrel 24/6/13 - 13/8/24 all now at the Bridge.

Offline Fluff

  • Donator
  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 397
  • Daisy the whirling dervish
Re: Good quality kibbles which produce firm and small amounts of poos a day!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 11:01:55 AM »
Pets at home have just introduced a grain free version of Wainwrights I think. Daisy is raw fed now but on JWB she was doing quite a few poops a day, and they were bigguns! Heard good things about Eden too. Basically look for something grain/cereal free

Offline Geordietyke

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5228
  • Gender: Female
Re: Good quality kibbles which produce firm and small amounts of poos a day!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 11:05:08 AM »
Thanks for that.

Just remembered, I ran out of RC a few weeks ago and got the puppy JWB as it was the closest match, Archie's nether regions did not like it at all so I'm now thinking I shouldn't try the adult JWB now (it's an unopened 2kg bag I've got left).



Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Jane57

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4056
  • Gender: Female
  • Riley
Re: Good quality kibbles which produce firm and small amounts of poos a day!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 11:24:11 AM »
Riley is on eden holistic dog food, it has no cereal, fillers , beet pulp etc.
At first his poo went soft but when he adapted to it, he is fine.
We usually have 2 per day , not messy either , lol

He was on JWB as a pup  but didnt do as well on the adult one so I searched for a new food and found eden, which is very similar to the likes of orijen etc,
Its really economical too as you dont need to feed large amounts , there is no waste, its 80% meat fish,  and 20% fruit , veg and herbs etc.
Hope you finds something that suits.

Offline Emilyoliver

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2483
Re: Good quality kibbles which produce firm and small amounts of poos a day!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 12:10:26 PM »
Logically, because Archie is a young puppy and because he is being fed 3x a day, he will produce more poos than an adult dog on one/ two meals per day.  My dogs are on Arden Grange and Simpsons sensitive (because different foods suit different dogs).  All go on average twice a day, and they are solid and not overly large.  But you'll have loads of different suggestions.  The best food is the one that suits your dog and your lifestyle/ pocket.  But it may take a bit of trial and error to find it.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Walshies

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 777
  • Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
Re: Good quality kibbles which produce firm and small amounts of poos a day!
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 12:17:09 PM »
Eden here - rock hard poo but when he has had exercise it is not so solid - but not runny though.
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline Geordietyke

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5228
  • Gender: Female
Re: Good quality kibbles which produce firm and small amounts of poos a day!
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 12:29:40 PM »
Thanks for suggestions.  I know it's trial and error, I spent 2 years finding what suited Odie and here I am again!

I just want to try and give him as little 'rubbish and fillers' as possible but something which he enjoys and suits him (and produces way less poo  :lol2:).

Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Geordietyke

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5228
  • Gender: Female
Re: Good quality kibbles which produce firm and small amounts of poos a day!
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 03:25:51 PM »
Just been on the "Which Dog" site and Eden and Orijen puppy are the highest recommended foods.  I've read lots of reviews, mainly praising these kibbles but again, comments range from "lovely, firm poos" to "really sloppy and smelly"  :-\  I can only guess which one Archie will relate to  ph34r  :lol2:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Letichia

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1406
  • Gender: Female
  • Maverick
Re: Good quality kibbles which produce firm and small amounts of poos a day!
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 03:38:57 PM »
Lilly came home on pro plan and was producing up to 6 firm poos a day!
I changed her over to Barking Heads puppy mixing it with either Nature Diet or Forthglade and she immediately went down to 3 poos a day. and then at just over 5 months went down to 2 poos a day. Occasionally she will do 3.
I have been happy with Barking Heads and would recommend it. Mollie and Scoobie have the adult version and thrive off it too. Producing usually 2 poos a day and they have always been firm.
Hope you manage to find a good food that will suit little Archie  :blink:
Letichia, Lilly, Polo and Maverick x

Offline VeeBee

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 63
Re: Good quality kibbles which produce firm and small amounts of poos a day!
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 04:14:10 PM »
Our dog came home on Burns puppy food, progressing to the adult one over time. She poohs twice a day, morning and afternoon, perfectly formed, not too hard or too soft. If she is over fed, pooh does come out very squishy (apologies if that is too much info). Lots of people say that their dog loses weight or is thin on Burns and I do have to agree with this, have mentioned this to the vet and he says she is fine and is not overweight, which I am happy with.

Offline Jessh33

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 220
  • My Ralphie Roo
Re: Good quality kibbles which produce firm and small amounts of poos a day!
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 07:48:34 PM »
Ralph came to us on Eukanuba and it just didn't suit him at all, after looking around we decided on barking heads puppy and it's been great! We have 2-3 well formed poops a day! He has a really sensitive stomach too but has been fine on this  :D



My boys at the bridge Ben 11/7/2002-11/4/2013 and Ozzy 7/9/2002-21/12/2013 - they left their paw prints on my heart xxx

Offline Sharon

  • Inactive
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2420
  • Gender: Female
  • Bramble
Re: Good quality kibbles which produce firm and small amounts of poos a day!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 09:51:18 AM »
My pups tums can't tolerate RC Junior, they are fine on the starter but the minute we slowly start changing over to the Junior, their poos start getting soft.  I use Arden Grange now on my pups, they stay on the junior until 12 months, but my own dogs are on RAW, we get small firm poos just a couple of times a day.

Offline Geordietyke

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5228
  • Gender: Female
Re: Good quality kibbles which produce firm and small amounts of poos a day!
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 10:22:37 AM »
It's weird as Archie has always been on RC Junior but in the last 2 weeks or so, his poos have been getting softer and softer and massive!!

I have a major problem with him eating grass as soon as I let him out for toilet.  This is my main problem - he constantly eats grass instead of doing a wee/poo outside so when I bring him in again, he then toilets inside - this is why I'm having such a problem toilet training the little devil  >:D  I can't leave him outside for too long or all he'll do is munch the grass  :-\

I may have to start introducing another food gradually sooner than I wanted to as he is making such a mess of my house  :P
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!