Author Topic: Just out of interest....  (Read 1097 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline HBP

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1087
  • Gender: Female
  • Hudson Bramble
Just out of interest....
« on: December 13, 2013, 10:04:29 PM »
I was looking on my breeder's website today. She's currently advertising a sable pup, "ready" on 23rd December. Now I know Hudson had a sable brother, who was considerably more expensive than the others, presumably as they are quite rare. He was still on the webpage a few weeks after us getting Hudson, so I guess she struggled to get him in a pet home at that price. It seems unlikely that another sable puppy would have arrived in the meantime - they were born in July! If it is the same one then he will be nearly 6 months old on 23rd December, so why would he be being advertised as not ready until then (I personally would think ready means 8 weeks old, ready to leave mum) ... unless she is hoping to cash in on the christmas market.... She's a very nice lady and she has really lovely dogs, so it makes me a bit sad to think she might be being a little unscrupulous!

Am I a Suspicious Simon do we think?  ;)

Offline Jane S

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13205
  • Gender: Female
Re: Just out of interest....
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 08:40:31 AM »
I'd guess she's either had another litter (many breeders have multiple litters a year) or she is trying to market an older puppy as a "Christmas" dog. Very few reputable breeders would consider letting pups go to a new home 2 days before christmas (unless an exceptionally experienced home where the festive period is being spent quietly) and reputable breeders don't charge more for sable pups. So there definitely seems to be a monetary element behind this breeder's motives for breeding ph34r
Jane

Offline Mudmagnets

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8409
  • Gender: Female
Re: Just out of interest....
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 10:29:24 AM »
You could have a look at the KC find a puppy service, that may tell you when she had her last litter & sometimes breeders advertise new litters on there too  ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22, and Minstrel 24/6/13 - 13/8/24 all now at the Bridge.

Offline Cayley

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1547
  • Gender: Female
Re: Just out of interest....
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 12:39:05 PM »
They are far from rare, there are about 200 bred every 3 months. Sable is an undesirable colour according the KC so the breeder is unlikely to be one that breeds for show  :-\.
Cayley.

Offline HBP

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1087
  • Gender: Female
  • Hudson Bramble
Re: Just out of interest....
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 02:36:40 PM »
I knew she didn't breed for showing. It doesn't really make a difference to me I suppose, was just curious what others thought. I have my happy healthy puppy and hopefully that little sable boy will have a forever home soon however old he is!

Offline HBP

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1087
  • Gender: Female
  • Hudson Bramble
Re: Just out of interest....
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 02:38:54 PM »
He was sable with no white i think I remember her saying- which she implied was rare. I didn't know they were undesirables  :005: Not a big fan of that colouring personally.