Author Topic: Caravanning  (Read 1084 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Vino tinto !

  • Site Member
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 226
  • Gender: Female
Caravanning
« on: September 04, 2007, 07:29:06 AM »
We go away a lot in our caravan and whilst I appreciate that Tilly is still  only eight weeks,we intend to take her with us so she gets used to it.We have a puppy playpen we will take with us to keep her away from other dogs till she is fully inoculated,we also only go to a very quiet site as we are two boring old farts ( thats what my kids call us !! )  :005:  doe's anyone else use a van and do they have any hints of what to be aware of ?

Offline lolamum

  • Site Member
  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 51
Re: Caravanning
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 07:49:01 AM »
hi we go away in ours quite regularly, but as yet have not taken 10 week old puppy. we are away soon tho. last time we were away i saw a lady with a fabric collapsible crate. I had a good look and decided to get one as our crate would not fit in the van and i didnt want to leave her out side over night. I couldnt leave her out of a crate at night i dont think ,as she would chew everything. we are not intending to walk her too far on this trip as she is only just allowed to go out, but because they have to be kept on a lead on site (which she is only just coming to terms with) i have bought a pupy chain lead. (it sounds worse than it is) it still clips on to the collar but it just means that she wont be able to chew through it as this is only a short lead i might try to clip an extender lead onto the handle of the short one just to give her a little bit more freedom,  but until we go away i dont know what surpises she is going to give us.  >:D
I have to say that if that is tilly in the small picture on the side she is lovely :luv:

Offline Vino tinto !

  • Site Member
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 226
  • Gender: Female
Re: Caravanning
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 08:30:24 AM »
Hi Lolasmum, Obviously this is why we are up at such a silly hour !!! but I don't mind as Tilly is sleeping on the sofa again now !! Its hard work being a puppy (and its minder !!!  ) Yes that pic in the corner is herself !! At 5 weeks old,before we had her.We just picked her up last friday,she is being very good she sleeps all night and do's most of her toiletting outside but she is no way near to perfect ! I did not expect her to be this good so early !! She wags her tail at us and appears to have settled in very very well !! :angel:  We are looking forward to going to our van which we keep in one place all summer,cannot go too far as I am on oxygen 24/7 ! I bought a collapsible crate from Tesco direct and very good it is too !! For under 30 pounds I was impressed ! The playpen will come in very useful for going to the van as she is too small to keep on a lead !! I'll let you know how we get on we go on Friday ! :005:

Offline nikkij

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 347
  • Gender: Female
Re: Caravanning
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 10:08:32 PM »
Hi, we took Alfie to my parents caravan when he was 12 weeks, we took his crate for him to sleep in at night but I do think that he got cold in the early morning as he whined earlier than he usually would so we put the radiator to come on early (but we then let him in bed with us  ;) )  Just do the normal puppy checks like at home, we took his usual toys bowls etc so he had his usual things around him. Just have fun! Alfies tail never stopped wagging the whole time!  :D
Nikki and Alfie X

Offline lolamum

  • Site Member
  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 51
Re: Caravanning
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 09:25:52 PM »
hi Vino Tinto, how did you get on at the weekend? Did think of you as we ended up going away also. Ruby was fantastic considering that she had only been in the garden on the lead and then had to stay on it if she wanted to wander. Found the crate was brilliant and she slept all night. so glad that she settled to it. So here is to many more weekends.  Hope to hear how Tilly got on and that it was a successful weekend for you.

Offline Vino tinto !

  • Site Member
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 226
  • Gender: Female
Re: Caravanning
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 08:15:20 AM »
Hi Lolasmum,Tilly was very good,she managed the steps up and down quite well although we were very cautious about them as I am sure you will understand !! She did NOT like her puppy pen at all !!   >:D   She has become used to running round the garden I guess ? We don't use a crate at night either, but she slept on her bed really well and cried to go out by the door.So yes it was a good positive start to our caravaning times together !!  It will be much easier when she has had the last injection and we can let her play freely like she do's at home !! She has that in a couple of weeks,we have a week off  the next week so she will be ok to "run free " then !! I am at home with her all day,so she is used to running in and out if the garden when ever she wants,so it must have been awful for her to be put into a cage !! I don't have children at home either,so have no need to cage her anyway !
Thank you for thinking about us !! Glad Ruby enjoyed it,its so great to share everything with them isn't it ? I am particularly proud of Tilly as I am on oxygen full time and have a tube following me round the bungalow everywhere !! She was told once, in no uncertain terms,not to touch it !! And she has not touched it from that day  :luv:    I wonder if they know  :angel: keep in touch xx

Offline Sheryl

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7164
  • Gender: Female
Re: Caravanning
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 08:53:28 AM »
We have had dogs in the caravan since the day Chloe couldn't be left with anyone due to her illness.  She loved it, now Kali loves it.  Only thing I really insist on is covers on the seats and a few sticky rollers.  I had these always and nobody ever knew I had dogs in the caravan when it came time to sell it. ::)
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe