Author Topic: scent games/tracking...anyone got any tips?  (Read 968 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline SkyeSue

  • Inactive
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5139
  • Gender: Female
scent games/tracking...anyone got any tips?
« on: July 31, 2009, 11:15:32 PM »
Chloe is a serious sniffer and I've been thinking I'd like to harness this and do some work with her where she can utilise her noseyness  ;) Did a search on here but couldn't find anything....likewise, a search on t'internet didnt throw up much (apart from lots of book recommendations) but a simple exercise that I found on ask.com  :shades: ;) got me scurrying off down the croft this morning armed with Chloe's uneaten breakfast which I put in teensy piles at intervals on a fairly straight line. She seemed to enjoy this little hunt and I'd like to do more in this vein....anyone got any suggestions?


Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Nicola

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 16455
  • Gender: Female
  • FTCh Caoimhe
Re: scent games/tracking...anyone got any tips?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 11:22:19 PM »
If you look up 'tracking' you might get some info, it's not something I've ever done properly but it looks like fun. I think it's part of working trials so you could try looking those up too, or Schutzhund training. Afaik for those the dog is on a long line and follows a pre-laid trail with the handler following behind them. You could try using bits of cloth impregnated with your scent as well as food or toys and make the trail more complicated as she gets better at it.   

I do blind retrieves for my lot as part of their working training but I don't know if that's the kind of thing you mean.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x



http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline SkyeSue

  • Inactive
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5139
  • Gender: Female
Re: scent games/tracking...anyone got any tips?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 12:16:23 AM »
If you look up 'tracking' you might get some info, it's not something I've ever done properly but it looks like fun. I think it's part of working trials so you could try looking those up too, or Schutzhund training. Afaik for those the dog is on a long line and follows a pre-laid trail with the handler following behind them. You could try using bits of cloth impregnated with your scent as well as food or toys and make the trail more complicated as she gets better at it.   

I do blind retrieves for my lot as part of their working training but I don't know if that's the kind of thing you mean.

Thanks for that Nic....will have a further look. As for the blind retrieves, I'm not totally sure what that involves; I do hide balls/dummies in ditches and heather etc. for her to find.....is that the kind of thing in very simplistic terms  :shades: ;) I'm happy to try anything that involves her using her sniffin senses, but nothing too complicated to start with (for me that is  :005:)


Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline *jean*

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3936
  • Gender: Female
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
Re: scent games/tracking...anyone got any tips?
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 12:31:06 AM »
years ago pepper did tracker training.. nothing exciting really .. I would get a few identical sterile ( boil washed) cloths and using sterile tongs lay them all out then Id place one with my scent out without her seeing and   then hold my hands to her nose let her sniff then send her out to seek..
 she would find my cloth get a reward.. then Id have a cloth with my scent and a cloth with a friends scent let her sniff my friends hands then send her out to seek her cloth not mine which was also there, we then progressed to bits of clothing and with pepper on a long line seeking the owner out, theyd be hiding somewhere.
 she did really well at this as did liath, if fact liath really excelled herself taking up advanced obedience age 9 and picked up the judges cloth every time ignoring my cloth.
 this tracking has come in so handy over the years on the croft. OH has used pepper to track deer. we used her to find lost hens  on several occasions for different folk.  she once was called upon to help look for a neighbour who had gone out fishing on his quad it had broken down and he was missing. It was dark he was in his 80s. He made his own way home safely and wondered what all the fuss was about! when OHs collie went missing a year or two ago I took pepper along to go hunting for him and that very day he appeared bedraggled back home by himself.
Its not rocket science, the dogs love it and pick it up really easily. take small steps and build them up.
peppers litter brother was a sniffer dog for the army. they really do have the best noses.

Offline Joules

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12098
  • Gender: Female
Re: scent games/tracking...anyone got any tips?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 08:26:42 AM »
Lots of simple things you can do to get her started - just sprinkle some treats around in long grass and let her seek them out.  Gets her used to using her nose.  ;)

I do blind retrieves with Coco (ie throw a ball without her seeing where it goes) and then direct her using hand signals - she loves it and when she is in the mood really pays attention to my instructions.  :luv:  Also I just chuck her ball into the woods and she has to go clambering over logs and through undergrowth to find it - she gets more excited about that than just retrieving in a field.  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline Top Barks

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5234
  • Gender: Male
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: scent games/tracking...anyone got any tips?
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 10:21:38 AM »
Try shuffling along without taking your feet off the ground to make your track and at the end of it some tasty rewards.
Also rub your own scent on an item and reward Chloe for interacting with it, then possibly retrieving it.
Then you can move on and hide the item and reward like crazy with her ballwhen she finds it.
Have fun.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)
 
Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk