Author Topic: Clipper lines  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
Clipper lines
« on: February 12, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »
I have decided to have a go and groom Ruby myself but have to wait for mothers day/birthday combo to get all the equipment i need.

So today i took her to a groomer recommended by a friend as my usual groomer is the one i posted about before who takes 3 hours etc etc and am not going to use any more though she cuts Ruby EXACTLY how i like her.

So this new woman grooms at her house lets the dog explore the secure garden etc and is very nice and everything but must admit i have never seen her finished result on a cocker,only a schnauzer and an old english sheepdog but both people said their dogs were happy and the groomer gave them fresh chicken as a treat after their groom which i thought was a nice thing to do.

It's my own fault i know,BUT
The inside of Rubys ear flaps were not clipped out,her feet look scruffy and hacked,under her toes had not been touched and there was a matt left in one paw,her skirt is wonky,i could go on  :012:

The worst thing is all of her body,down her back legs and on one side of her face  :o is covered in clipper lines my long winded post is to ask this..

What causes these clipper marks to happen as i don't want to do it myself when it's my turn to groom her  :huh:

(Dont tell me off Wendy  :009::005:
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
Re: Clipper lines
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 08:16:57 PM »
Oh no :016: I would be really unhappy too, sounds like she did a real bodge job :-\ ( how is it your fault?)

Offline williamsmum

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 08:18:18 PM »
Clipper lines are caused when the clippers are not being used correctly. A good groomer should never leave clipper marks on a dog. Is she qualified, or just an amateur who works from home?If people are not taught to groom correctly then they will leave a bad finish on your dog.It is NOT your fault! It sounds as if she has rushed your groom and certainly I would be demanding my money back! The insides of the ear flaps should always be clipped, unless the customer asks for them not to be. Apart from anything else, the removal of the hair ensures that air can get into the ear canal and prevent the build-up of moisture, which in turn encourages an ear mite infection. Feet should always be trimmed into a nice shape and any good groomer should know to check under the pads for mats, especially in hairy breeds such as the cocker. Clipper marks are basically caused by incorrect pressure being applied when the clippers are being used, and if your dog is covered in these marks then I certainly wouldn't be using the same groomer again! Apart from the qualification, if she is working from home and just doing it  to earn a bit of pin money, you need to know also that she is insured, because if not it could cause her all sorts of problems if she actually hurts a dog and someone puts in a claim against her. Sorry, but these are all the sorts of things a dog owner should be checking before they entrust their dog into someone's care, and it certainly sounds as if she has done a rubbish job.

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 08:28:31 PM »
Clipper lines are caused when the clippers are not being used correctly. A good groomer should never leave clipper marks on a dog. Is she qualified, or just an amateur who works from home?If people are not taught to groom correctly then they will leave a bad finish on your dog.It is NOT your fault! It sounds as if she has rushed your groom and certainly I would be demanding my money back! The insides of the ear flaps should always be clipped, unless the customer asks for them not to be. Apart from anything else, the removal of the hair ensures that air can get into the ear canal and prevent the build-up of moisture, which in turn encourages an ear mite infection. Feet should always be trimmed into a nice shape and any good groomer should know to check under the pads for mats, especially in hairy breeds such as the cocker. Clipper marks are basically caused by incorrect pressure being applied when the clippers are being used, and if your dog is covered in these marks then I certainly wouldn't be using the same groomer again! Apart from the qualification, if she is working from home and just doing it  to earn a bit of pin money, you need to know also that she is insured, because if not it could cause her all sorts of problems if she actually hurts a dog and someone puts in a claim against her. Sorry, but these are all the sorts of things a dog owner should be checking before they entrust their dog into someone's care, and it certainly sounds as if she has done a rubbish job.

She has a city and guilds and has an out house that she uses for grooming in her garden and she happily showed me before i left..I entrusted Ruby into her care as i knew 2 people who have used her for some time and are extremely happy as are their dogs (though different breeds) which was my main priority as Rubys previous groomer keeps her too long and she was very unhappy.This groomer was to tide me over until i have my equipment together.
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 09:26:51 PM »
Ok as a professional groomer myself I would much rather a groomer took their time with my dog and took care doing the groom correctly with care than rushed the job as it seems has happened here. You can't always have everything. Quick does not always mean good.  :shades: If you want it quick you may get a quick job.  ;) Of course your dog being happy is of utmost priority, so if this was not the fact then you need to look elsewhere. Yes clipper lines are caused by incorrect use of the clipper. Yes to the not enough pressure, but also the skin needs to be stretched when clipping. Shorter strokes are better than simply running the clippers along the entire body quickly, strokes should always be in the direction of the coat, the coat needs to be brushed up after clipping and gone over again and again if necc until the cut is completely even. The top third of the ears should be clipped in and out leaving the typical lobular ear shape of the cocker. On pet feet the pads should be trimmed short. On my show dogs I only trim to the pads, but on my pets I take more. If at any time you do leave a clipper mark and it does happen you can erase it either by brushing up and going over the area again or by using thinning scissors to blend it in & correct it. Blending is the key here. Also a blunt blade, faulty clippers or cheap clippers may cause this also. Lastly a clean tangle free well brushed out completly dry coat will mean the clippers will take the coat off more cleanly. Hope that's of some help to you.  :D
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline williamsmum

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 08:56:17 PM »
She has City and Guilds and she let the dog go out like that? I am amazed!  :-\

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 08:41:51 PM »
I have decided to have a go and groom Ruby myself but have to wait for mothers day/birthday combo to get all the equipment i need.

So today i took her to a groomer recommended by a friend as my usual groomer is the one i posted about before who takes 3 hours etc etc and am not going to use any more though she cuts Ruby EXACTLY how i like her.

I wonder if she bathed & blow dried Ruby as part of the groom ?
I know you felt 3 hours was too long but I just wonder if this groomer is not offering the full groom.  I normally do a rough clip & trim then bath and dry through fully and then do all my final finshing clipping, trimming/blending on a clean conditioned coat.
I take 2 to 2 1/2 hours depending on the coat condition  & type of clip that is required - full clip off or show type clip  & thinning
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 09:46:32 PM »

I wonder if she bathed & blow dried Ruby as part of the groom ?

I asked her how Ruby managed with the drying as Ruby "was" put in a drying cabinet with the previous groomer,this groomer uses something different that i saw in her grooming room (i don't know what it's called  :huh: ) she said Ruby was fine......bit vague i know.

Later on when we were at home i didn't think she smelled that clean but can't be 100% sure and also before grooming, Rubys coat had a little static in it,she still had the static after the groom which i would have thought washing would have stopped it though i could be wrong  :-\