Author Topic: Nail Clippers etc  (Read 1273 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline chrisp

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1320
Nail Clippers etc
« on: February 13, 2013, 08:32:07 PM »
Hello

Could someone recommend nail clippers etc which I can use to trim Mollies dew claws please?  I know there are a few types but not sure which ones are the easiest/safest to use?

Thank you.

Offline elaine.e

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 11029
  • Gender: Female
  • Sweet William
Re: Nail Clippers etc
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 09:13:42 PM »
I have guillotine nail clippers but using them frightens the life out of me in case I cut to the quick (literally). I have a styptic pencil to stop any bleeding if that happens but I still find it really scary.

Sorry, that's not much of a recommendation, is it :P

Offline Abbi

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 706
  • Gender: Female
Re: Nail Clippers etc
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:34:18 PM »
I use the guillotine type too as have found as they get older their claws get thicker and the scissor type just don't do the job. I try to take a little off at a time as frightened of getting the quick. Having said that its easier said than done if your dog won't keep still! (Hence why I'm getting the vet to give Darcie's a good trim while she's being spayed on Friday!)

Our vet nurse will always do their claws for a small donation to one of the animal charities that they support, so if you're unsure pop Mollie along to your vet and I'm sure they'll help you.

Offline Countrygirl

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5653
  • Gender: Female
    • Countrygirl
Re: Nail Clippers etc
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 10:46:45 PM »
I have guillotine nail clippers but using them frightens the life out of me in case I cut to the quick (literally). I have a styptic pencil to stop any bleeding if that happens but I still find it really scary.

Sorry, that's not much of a recommendation, is it :P
n

I'm just the same.  Having cut the quick before and then having to deal with a screaming spaniel and profuse bleeding, I now prefer to pay the experts to do it.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5841
Re: Nail Clippers etc
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 08:56:28 AM »
yes not a job for the
faint-hearted!
me too leaving it with
the professionals :blink:
steffxxx

Offline chrisp

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1320
Re: Nail Clippers etc
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 05:00:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies - had not heard of a 'styptic' pencil before either.

Saw the gullotine ones and the scissor ones but wasn't sure which to get.