Author Topic: Capstar Flea Treatment  (Read 682 times)

Offline HayleyJB

• Site Member
Capstar Flea Treatment
« on: May 08, 2013, 05:32:21 PM »
Does anybody use this tablet & have they any advice please?

I used Frontline 48 hours ago but both my dogs are still scratching.  I've read about Capstar on the Internet & in theory it looks good, if it works & if there are no side effects.
RIP Misty 09.04.90 - 26.03.05 & her daughter Jezzie 15.07.94 - 08.07.11 x

Offline Saskia

Re: Capstar Flea Treatment
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:41:05 AM »
I have always used frontline on my pets with no problems, it's possible the old bites are still itchy.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 10:31:54 AM »
Ive seen quite a few reports of frontline not working. I stopped using it several years ago and moved to Stronghold. I now prefer the non chemical route and use Billy no Mates but I would still use stronghold if I ever saw a flea - touch wood none so far. If I remember rightly (please correct me if im wrong) there are two types of frontline. One you can buy over the counter but the other can only come from the vet so I guess it is stronger.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 01:52:47 PM »
Ive seen quite a few reports of frontline not working. I stopped using it several years ago and moved to Stronghold. I now prefer the non chemical route and use Billy no Mates but I would still use stronghold if I ever saw a flea - touch wood none so far. If I remember rightly (please correct me if im wrong) there are two types of frontline. One you can buy over the counter but the other can only come from the vet so I guess it is stronger.

Frontline combo is supposed to be the more effective as its kills eggs, larvae, etc
Frontline regular can buy anywhere.
I buy the combo at the vets.  .

Offline HayleyJB

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 11:20:53 PM »
Thank you for that, I didn't realise there were two different types of Frontline.  I guess we just have the basic as we bought it online.

It may be old bites that are itchy, Molly, my 10 month old Cocker isn't scratching at all whereas Paige, my 9 year old Lab/Collie cross is.  She does seem to have sore patches in certain areas where she has scratched.  I suppose I should see how she goes over the next couple of days before we look at using alternatives.

RIP Misty 09.04.90 - 26.03.05 & her daughter Jezzie 15.07.94 - 08.07.11 x

Offline praia

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 11:53:04 AM »
We had to use both Frontline Plus and Capstar over a two month period when a raccoon apparently fell down our chimney, died, and all the fleas took over our carpeted basement.  The infestation was so horrible that frontline simply wasn't enough and the dogs were in agony.  Used in combination with capstar, the dogs finally found some relief and the effect was near immediate.

We only used capstar during the peak of the infestation while we treated our home and found it to be extremely effective when used in conjunction with frontline plus. 

Frontline doesn't seem to be as effective on some individual dogs as others.  Some people say it's because certain flea populations are becoming immune, but I don't know how much weight that has as people who exercise their dogs in the same area as mine say their frontline isn't working, yet my dogs don't normally have any issues with fleas and ticks.  If dogs using the same exact treatment are exposed to the same population, but only a few of them are still getting fleas and ticks I would think the problem lies with either improper application due to user error or the topical treatment just isn't the best fit for that particular dog.