Author Topic: overweight cocker  (Read 3945 times)

Offline Nichola0152

• Gentle Toby xx
overweight cocker
« on: June 25, 2013, 08:26:41 AM »
Hi,

I have a 20 month old cocker spaniel called Toby who is overweight as advised by my vet.  We purchased Toby last November when he was a year old and he was already overweight, the previous owners had been feeding him 3 times a day and giving him little exercise.  We cut his food to two meals a day consisting of Country Value Kibble and Natures way meat, and plenty of play and exercise, but he is continually putting on weight.  The vet has recommended Hills RD food (they sell this in the surgery!!!! which is why I think they recommended) however, we have looked at reviews regarding this and the main ingredients are corn and maize, so we don't want to give him that.  Can anybody recommend a good low fat dry food for Toby?

Thank you

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: overweight cocker
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 08:33:03 AM »
Hello and welcome to COL :D

Have a look at this website http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/ which may help you in finding a better and healthier choice than Hills RD. I agree with you that feeding a food so full of corn and maize isn't the way to go. I'm sure others will see this through the day and have some ideas for you too.

It would be lovely to hear more about Toby and see some photos too please :blink:.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 09:11:28 AM »
Hello and welcome to COL.

I have known dogs naturally drop weight on Burns and also Healthy Paws "normal" foods so you could look at those kibble brands   ;)

Here's a link to a weight loss article that may be of help http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/12_9/features/Canine-Weight-Loss-Advice_16158-1.html

If he continues to gain I would get the vet to test for Hypothyroidism  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 09:26:22 AM »
Another option is to look at raw feeding which can help weight loss.  Natural Instinct is a good complete raw food  (there are good ones too - you will see information for it also on WhichdogFood).  Also a good tip is to always weigh the food you feed, both wet & dry so that you know he is getting exactly the right amount, and you will be able to adjust the amount of food in gradual increments, so that its not such a shock to his system  ;)

I need to get about half a kilo off one of my girls and I will probably just reduce her raw food by about 5-10grams which will be enough see quite a quick weight loss (she is a flyball competition dog so gets a lot of exercise so it won't take long to achieve).
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Nichola0152

• Gentle Toby xx
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 09:52:21 AM »
thankyou all for your feedback, will look at the links given and hopefully will be able to find the right food for Toby.

Could anybody please advise how I upload photos?

thanks again

Offline deano

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 08:21:20 AM »
 :blink: I would agree with the raw food diet, our boy was at one point 15.5, he has always been on dry food first Royal Canin and then in hills but due to allergies we asked advice and changed to Natural Instinct, measured it out exactly and cut out treats and in 3 weeks he was 13.7 which the vets says is ideal. It has everything in it and easy to use, you can buy it at some vets surgeries, have it delivered by the company but we have found a pet shop not too far away that delivers it for us.
I wasn't keen on raw food when it was first suggested but after getting good advice and learning more about it we have found it so much better and even put one of our other boys

Good luck

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 08:49:09 AM »
thankyou all for your feedback, will look at the links given and hopefully will be able to find the right food for Toby.

Could anybody please advise how I upload photos?

thanks again

This should help http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=15703.0

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 08:56:02 AM »
I was going to say Burns as well. It is fairly low in fat.

Good luck and we'd love to see photos. You need to upload them to a site like Photobucket (or I use Image Shack) and then you can copy and paste a link from there.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Nichola0152

• Gentle Toby xx
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 08:24:29 AM »
Heres pics of my little boy (hope it works)

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 08:34:05 AM »
Should be able to see them now
In photobucket you just need to click on the links to the right of the "share this photo" & and then Ctrl V to paste in reply box

He's a very handsome boy, doesn't look too overweight  :luv:

Heres pics of my little boy (hope it works)

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/nichola0152/media/tobiecushion_zps52048345.jpg.html
http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/nichola0152/media/toby_zpsd581a7d2.jpg.html

Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Nichola0152

• Gentle Toby xx
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 09:32:53 PM »
Thank you supergroup  :D

Offline Carol09

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 09:36:46 PM »
We use Arden Grange Light for Jay.  He has lost over 2kg in a year.  We also picked up the exercise and cut out the treats. Even though he lost the weight we will be keeping him on it because he eats anything he can get hold of, like the Chicken Stirfry in a wrap that one of the kids threw in the bin tonight  >:D

Offline Nichola0152

• Gentle Toby xx
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 09:43:12 PM »
Toby is exactly the same, he eats anything, he's even started eating the daisies in the field we take him to..... Have purchased some Burns and we will see how we go.....Will keep everyone posted. A big thank you for all of your lovely advice....

My last post should have read " thank you supergirl" predictive text!!!!

Love Nicki,Phil and Toby  :-*

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 10:10:17 PM »
Wow, he is gorgeous!  :luv:
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Nichola0152

• Gentle Toby xx
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 07:54:15 AM »
Thank you Ruby.... he is such a gentle boy and so loving  :luv: