Author Topic: To Clip or not to be Clipped?  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Lesley M

To Clip or not to be Clipped?
« on: July 05, 2013, 12:58:34 PM »
What's the general consensus abut having cockers clipped.. Love my boys scruffy look but he's struggling with the heat and I want what's best for him  :luv:

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Re: To Clip or not to be Clipped?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 01:01:38 PM »
I think its entirely up to the individual. I can see why they would be much cooler in weather like this.
Riley isnt clipped but I do my best to try and make him comfortable by having walks at cooler parts of the day .
Fortunately my living room is in the shade in the day time where he spends most of the time on the hearth where its cool. Also put on his cool coat to cool him after walks.
He generally doesnt have as much energy though in hot weather. If we lived in a warmer climate and had more of this type of weather then I would probably have him clipped short.

Offline Lesley M

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 01:07:01 PM »
Never heard of a cool coat just Googled it ..many thanks so glad to be a part of the COL forum  :blink:

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 01:10:52 PM »
Never heard of a cool coat just Googled it ..many thanks so glad to be a part of the COL forum  :blink:

You are welcome, and it keeps their own coat dry which is great too.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 01:11:45 PM »
Brodie has to get clipped, she has the coat from hell :lol2:. A spayed liver roan... Within a couple of weeks of being groomed you'd never have known it, very woolly and curly. She has to go to the groomers every six weeks. I do wish I hadn't needed to go down this route, but her coat would mat very easily and I just couldn't keep on top of it.

Think, as said, it is personal choice and also what suits your dog.

Brodie getting groomed, look at the size of those legs:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 01:13:42 PM »
It's up to each individual as jane57 said. Lots of options - just depends on what you personally prefer/have time for. My dogs aren't clipped (and weren't when we lived in south africa where it's a bit warmer!). If you keep them hand-stripped and knot-free they shouldn't be unduly hot as their coat is silky with little undercoat, rather than dense with thick undercoat. I just exercise mine at cooler times of the day, and near water where possible when it's very hot. But some clip the tummy leaving the 'skirt' at the sides so you can't see the clipped tummy. And this helps keep them cooler if they have a cold floor to lie on. Otherwise you could go all out and have a clip off (leaving feathers/ not as you prefer). However once you start clipping, then you're pretty much stuck doing that as the coat often becomes curlier and denser. That probably hasn't helped at all - apologies!!! Personally, I prefer my cockers hand stripped.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Lesley M

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 01:24:12 PM »
Do you strip them yourself? I have seen a device in the pet shop but feel a little nervous..

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »
Do you strip them yourself? I have seen a device in the pet shop but feel a little nervous..
Yes - I do them mostly using a spratts 76 comb and a 20 blade coat king.  Not sure what you have seen in the pet shop, but if it's a furminator I wouldn't recommend it as they can cut and break the hair (more so than the CK). The coat king also looks a bit dangerous, but I've never hurt/injured my dogs using it over the last 9 years.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline montydavies

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »
I have Monty clipped simply because his coat became very woolly and prone to matting after castration. He has just had his summer clip and is sooo happy! He loves having less coat. I get him clipped every 3 months. The thing to remember is that once you start, it's difficult to go back as it does change the coat.

Offline helenb14

• Donator
  • Seve
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 02:42:50 PM »
Oh monty you are gorgeous and a perfect match for the lovely flooring!!

Offline montydavies

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 03:06:24 PM »
Hahaha! Yes, I try to coordinate everything in the house with Monty!

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 03:17:37 PM »
I brought Bracken a cool coat and it does work, he is much happier as it keeps him cool for up to 4 hours and stops most of the panting! X

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 10:20:15 PM »
I gave  in to clipping and today had the most extreme one! He looks like a stunted black Labrador with long fluffy ears. We are going to a rented cottage  and beaches next week, so with the heat,  I went for it. He is deliriously frisky today despite the heat. In six weeks time  the hairy dog will be back!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.