Author Topic: Grooming  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Linda B

• Donator
Grooming
« on: October 20, 2013, 04:07:30 PM »
Just wondered if anyone has  an orange roan that they do a full body clip on, I'm having problems with Emma's coat it's so soft, fine and fluffy that despite lots of brushing and combing to keep it knot free it jams the clipper head up after a couple of inches. I am using albeit an old pair of Thrive clippers with a no5 head, I have been in touch with the manufacturers who have adjusted the clipper head but I still have the same problem ( I use the same on Sophie who is a blue roan with good results ) I just want to keep Emma clean and tidy. If anyone has any advice or suggestions they would be welcome. Emma is 6 years old and has been spade which I know upsets their coats.

Thanks.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Grooming
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 05:39:50 PM »
William is orange roan, 9 years old and castrated. I resorted to clipping about 4 or so years ago and clip his body but leave him with some feathering. I use thinning scissors on his face, top 1/3 of outer ear (clippers on inside of ear flap) and also us the thinners to soften the edges between the clipped and unclipped areas.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm201/elaineestall/2779a.jpg

His feathering is a bit shorter than usual in this photo, but hopefully you can see roughly what he looks like.

I have a pair of Andis 2 speed clippers and 3 different blades. The clipping guide posted by Michelle a few years ago http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=32160.msg435560#msg435560 is very helpful and is what I base my clipping on, using a 5f blade for William's body.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 06:59:50 PM »
I do a full body clip on two orange roan boys. Both castrated, one with a much thicker coat than the other. They are both done with a number 5 all over except for the heads and ears which is shorter. They both look fine but no feathering but not so short that they look completely shorn. I can show you pics if you like?
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Linda B

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:09:44 AM »
Thanks to you both for your help, it looks like I will be treating myself and the girls to an early Christmas present of a pair of Andis clippers.