Author Topic: Naturediet - in a bit of a quandary  (Read 3451 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mudmagnets

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8409
  • Gender: Female
Naturediet - in a bit of a quandary
« on: November 24, 2013, 03:38:57 PM »
Well as most folks will know I am a fan of Naturediet and have used it with good results thus far, starting off puppy Minstrel on it and had no problems...however, recently when the amounts to feed per meal went up to what me seemed excessive levels, he has been suffering from sloppy poos. Gave him a week ( on vet rec. advice - she said too much water in food was causing the prob) of home cooked rice with  fish/scrambled egg etc.,with great success and gradually trieda little of the ND back today and have noticed a change in poo, so back to the rice etc. I'm wondering if the contents of batches are different in the mixing!

 I have ordered a small bag of Burns puppy.

It puzzles me - but when I think about it, Smudge had about dessertspoonful on his Burns, he was never fed it as the only food.

Heyho  :embarassed: Have to say Minstrel is not complaining lol
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22, and Minstrel 24/6/13 - 13/8/24 all now at the Bridge.

Offline JennyBee

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5915
  • Gender: Female
  • Princess Brodie
Re: Naturediet - in a bit of a quandry
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 03:47:56 PM »
What a pity - you know, since I put Brodie onto NatureDiet at the start of the year she has hardly drank out of her bowl at all. It's funny what can upset their stomachs: Brodie can't handle Wainrights (which is almost the same as NatureDiet, ingredient-wise) and even something like too much veg can upset her stomach. My vet said even the slightest difference in the processing can be enough to cause an upset.

Hope he copes with the new food, can be a bit of a challenge finding a food that suits them at times!

                              x In memory of Barney x

Offline linda c

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1183
  • Gender: Female
Re: Naturediet - in a bit of a quandry
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 03:51:31 PM »
I always found it better to use Naturediet with a dried food as I had the same problem. Had to vary the amount with different dogs, but usually ended up with a happy result just putting a small amount in with their dried food and everybody was fine  :blink:

Offline Mudmagnets

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8409
  • Gender: Female
Re: Naturediet - in a bit of a quandry
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 04:00:55 PM »
Thanks JennyB he was doing really well on ND to start with, it seems to have changed since I upped the amounts, glad you said about the processing - some batches  do seem to be less solid.

I did have some Burns Mixer in stock - so have been mixing a bit of this with the rice etc to make sure he was getting the right minerals & vitamins whilst on his limited diet.

Ahh Linda c, glad I am not the only one  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22, and Minstrel 24/6/13 - 13/8/24 all now at the Bridge.

Offline linda c

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1183
  • Gender: Female
Re: Naturediet - in a bit of a quandry
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 04:46:04 PM »
The Naturediet does vary, I've just opened a packet for Blue and it's got a different smell  :huh:
It was well sealed and OH had to open it as I couldn't get it open.
Will watch him tomorrow just in case he has  a sloppy poo  :embarassed:

Offline Helen

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 20025
  • Gender: Female
    • helen noakes jewellery
Re: Naturediet - in a bit of a quandry
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 04:50:16 PM »
is he teething? 
helen & jarvis x


Offline Archie bean

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3627
  • Gender: Female
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Naturediet - in a bit of a quandry
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 04:50:40 PM »
How very odd! Archie was on it with no problems until he decided to refuse to eat! We swapped to Wainwrights, again with no problems whatsoever. The main difference I can see between the two foods seems to be that naturediet includes ground bone. Maybe the extra amount Minstrel has been getting has tipped the balance of bone? I think I asked before so sorry if I'm repeating but us he still on the puppy food or the adult? If I remember rightly, the amount of puppy food suggested was huuuuuuge when Archie was on it. I think too much food can cause sloppy poos so maybe he just doesn't need the extra? Archie has about two thirds of the recommended amount of Wainwrights and is absolutely fine with that. I dread to think what size he would be on the full amount, not to mention what it might do to his digestion!  :shades:

Offline Mudmagnets

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8409
  • Gender: Female
Re: Naturediet - in a bit of a quandry
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 05:20:15 PM »
is he teething? 

Yes he is - I think that does make a difference, but not sure how much of one?
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22, and Minstrel 24/6/13 - 13/8/24 all now at the Bridge.

Offline Mudmagnets

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8409
  • Gender: Female
Re: Naturediet - in a bit of a quandry
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 05:26:33 PM »
How very odd! Archie was on it with no problems until he decided to refuse to eat! We swapped to Wainwrights, again with no problems whatsoever. The main difference I can see between the two foods seems to be that naturediet includes ground bone. Maybe the extra amount Minstrel has been getting has tipped the balance of bone? I think I asked before so sorry if I'm repeating but us he still on the puppy food or the adult? If I remember rightly, the amount of puppy food suggested was huuuuuuge when Archie was on it. I think too much food can cause sloppy poos so maybe he just doesn't need the extra? Archie has about two thirds of the recommended amount of Wainwrights and is absolutely fine with that. I dread to think what size he would be on the full amount, not to mention what it might do to his digestion!  :shades:

He is on the puppy and the amounts are absolutely daft (worked out at nearly 3 packs of 390g a day @ 9kg!!) - I did cut it down myself.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22, and Minstrel 24/6/13 - 13/8/24 all now at the Bridge.

Offline Mudmagnets

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8409
  • Gender: Female
Re: Naturediet - in a bit of a quandry
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 05:28:42 PM »
The Naturediet does vary, I've just opened a packet for Blue and it's got a different smell  :huh:
It was well sealed and OH had to open it as I couldn't get it open.
Will watch him tomorrow just in case he has  a sloppy poo  :embarassed:

I keep a pair of pliers handy - some are very difficult to open as you say & do have different smells
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22, and Minstrel 24/6/13 - 13/8/24 all now at the Bridge.

Offline JennyBee

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5915
  • Gender: Female
  • Princess Brodie
Re: Naturediet - in a bit of a quandry
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 05:29:29 PM »
How very odd! Archie was on it with no problems until he decided to refuse to eat! We swapped to Wainwrights, again with no problems whatsoever. The main difference I can see between the two foods seems to be that naturediet includes ground bone. Maybe the extra amount Minstrel has been getting has tipped the balance of bone? I think I asked before so sorry if I'm repeating but us he still on the puppy food or the adult? If I remember rightly, the amount of puppy food suggested was huuuuuuge when Archie was on it. I think too much food can cause sloppy poos so maybe he just doesn't need the extra? Archie has about two thirds of the recommended amount of Wainwrights and is absolutely fine with that. I dread to think what size he would be on the full amount, not to mention what it might do to his digestion!  :shades:

Yes, Brodie has never been fed the recommended amounts of dog food, she gets about two-thirds of a tray of NatureDiet compared to the tray and a quarter that is recommended! I would be stuffed if it suddenly started to cause an upset or she stopped eating it, as she can't seem to tolerate anything else!

The amount of food recommended by NatureDiet for puppies seems excessive to me too; I wonder if, like Archie Bean says, that could be the reason.

                              x In memory of Barney x

Offline Mudmagnets

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8409
  • Gender: Female
Re: Naturediet - in a bit of a quandry
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 05:37:10 PM »
How very odd! Archie was on it with no problems until he decided to refuse to eat! We swapped to Wainwrights, again with no problems whatsoever. The main difference I can see between the two foods seems to be that naturediet includes ground bone. Maybe the extra amount Minstrel has been getting has tipped the balance of bone? I think I asked before so sorry if I'm repeating but us he still on the puppy food or the adult? If I remember rightly, the amount of puppy food suggested was huuuuuuge when Archie was on it. I think too much food can cause sloppy poos so maybe he just doesn't need the extra? Archie has about two thirds of the recommended amount of Wainwrights and is absolutely fine with that. I dread to think what size he would be on the full amount, not to mention what it might do to his digestion!  :shades:

Yes, Brodie has never been fed the recommended amounts of dog food, she gets about two-thirds of a tray of NatureDiet compared to the tray and a quarter that is recommended! I would be stuffed if it suddenly started to cause an upset or she stopped eating it, as she can't seem to tolerate anything else!

The amount of food recommended by NatureDiet for puppies seems excessive to me too; I wonder if, like Archie Bean says, that could be the reason.

Does make you think doesn't it. Think there was something similar to do with a dried food, quantities had been wrongly printed - but not sure if that is the case here.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22, and Minstrel 24/6/13 - 13/8/24 all now at the Bridge.

Offline jennycockerspaniel

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2196
  • Gender: Female
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
Re: Naturediet - in a bit of a quandry
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 05:44:53 PM »
I give Penny a oxo size  of Nature diet with her kibble and she is fine also fish ect I find the tray is too big for Penny as it lasts only 2 daysI have some in the freezer Penny eats it and poohs fine
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline Mudmagnets

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8409
  • Gender: Female
Re: Naturediet - in a bit of a quandry
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 05:53:28 PM »
I give Penny a oxo size  of Nature diet with her kibble and she is fine also fish ect I find the tray is too big for Penny as it lasts only 2 daysI have some in the freezer Penny eats it and poohs fine

Think what I will do, is keep giving the home diet till the Burns arrives and gradually mix some in, and see how it goes. Thinks it's gonna be trial and error for a while - with as few upsets as possible
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22, and Minstrel 24/6/13 - 13/8/24 all now at the Bridge.

Offline linda c

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1183
  • Gender: Female
Re: Naturediet - in a bit of a quandry
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 06:46:36 PM »
I divide one pack into about 9 cubes, wrap them in foil and freeze them  :blink:

Take out 1 per day, just the right amount and saves on money, no wastage  :D