Author Topic: Carrots for your dogs  (Read 3072 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline linda c

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1183
  • Gender: Female
Carrots for your dogs
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:50:51 PM »
Does anyone else have a dog that just loves carrots and how do you feed them?
Blue knows when I buy them, he's had 1 raw today and is sitting looking at the cupboard where the others are.  :blink:  I find if I give him too many he doesn't seem to digest it well, there's always lots of it in his poo.

Offline JennyBee

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5915
  • Gender: Female
  • Princess Brodie
Re: Carrots for your dogs
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 07:00:39 PM »
Brodie gets around a carrot a day - she's on a low fat diet and can't tolerate most chews or treats, so these help fill her up and keep her teeth clean. She prefers them to be cut into chunks or strips and has some with each meal. She does have 'carrot poo' now and then, but I have seen no other negative effects of her eating them.

                              x In memory of Barney x

Offline Archie bean

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3627
  • Gender: Female
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Carrots for your dogs
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 07:06:11 PM »
My first cocker Sherwood was root veggie obsessed! He once stole a carrot from the display outside our local shop. I didn't even notice him do it as we walked past, I just looked down and there it was sticking out of his mouth like a cigar.  :005: :005: Archie prefers brocolli but will eat a carrot stick if it's small and peeled. Spoiled much Mr A?

Offline JamiesGirl

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 696
  • Gender: Female
Re: Carrots for your dogs
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
Does anyone else have a dog that just loves carrots and how do you feed them?
Blue knows when I buy them, he's had 1 raw today and is sitting looking at the cupboard where the others are.  :blink:  I find if I give him too many he doesn't seem to digest it well, there's always lots of it in his poo.

you know jamie loves them  :D i give half a carrot raw probably every day but he also has frozen veg sometimes which is mostly carrot with some broccoli and cauliflower. if we have carrots for tea he has the end and top. Like Mr A he is also spoilt  :luv:
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline abzy0309

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 458
  • Gender: Female
Re: Carrots for your dogs
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Reggie has one most days :)


Abbie & Reggie

Offline JennyBee

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5915
  • Gender: Female
  • Princess Brodie
Re: Carrots for your dogs
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 07:24:57 PM »
Does anyone else have a dog that just loves carrots and how do you feed them?
Blue knows when I buy them, he's had 1 raw today and is sitting looking at the cupboard where the others are.  :blink:  I find if I give him too many he doesn't seem to digest it well, there's always lots of it in his poo.

you know jamie loves them  :D i give half a carrot raw probably every day but he also has frozen veg sometimes which is mostly carrot with some broccoli and cauliflower. if we have carrots for tea he has the end and top. Like Mr A he is also spoilt  :luv:

I've been giving Brodie frozen veg over the last couple of weeks, as she's on steroids and starving! She's a fussy girl but loves carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and green beans. Oh and sweet corn!

                              x In memory of Barney x

Offline Patp

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3617
  • Gender: Female
  • Jinley
Re: Carrots for your dogs
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 07:30:23 PM »
Jinley is not bothered so much with carrots, but she loves fresh peas in their pods.




Offline Joules

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12098
  • Gender: Female
Re: Carrots for your dogs
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 07:32:35 PM »
Coco loves carrots and has one every day.  I just feed her a smallish one or cut a large one lengthways for her.

Dogs cannot really digest plain raw veg very well which is why raw feeders usually feed their veg pulped  ;)  It comes out pretty much the way it went in.  :005:

I just use it as a treat and a fat free chew subsitute  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline linda c

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1183
  • Gender: Female
Re: Carrots for your dogs
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 07:33:35 PM »
 :D Sara do you just give Jamie the chunks of cauliflower and broccoli frozen or is it defrosted? :005:

Offline Silver

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 59
  • Gender: Female
  • Merlin
Re: Carrots for your dogs
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 07:38:38 PM »
Merlin likes carrots and he is given fresh raw ones occasionally. More often he gets fed raw veg from the freezer when I make a meal: he gets tossed frozen peas, or carrots, or cauliflower, or green beans: he likes them all and seems to like them frozen!

Offline Joules

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12098
  • Gender: Female
Re: Carrots for your dogs
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 07:43:01 PM »
:D Sara do you just give Jamie the chunks of cauliflower and broccoli frozen or is it defrosted? :005: 

Frozen veg is fine too  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Letichia

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1406
  • Gender: Female
  • Maverick
Re: Carrots for your dogs
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 07:43:33 PM »
On the subject of carrots, don't want to hijack the thread of anything but is it possible for raw carrots to cause an upset tummy?
Just i have given Lilly half of one before bed time on two different occasions in the last week and the following morning she has diarrhoea :huh:
Mollie and Scoobie don't have a problem with them its just odd that it has happened both times. I am a little bit worried about giving her another one!  
Letichia, Lilly, Polo and Maverick x

Offline linda c

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1183
  • Gender: Female
Re: Carrots for your dogs
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 07:55:19 PM »
I haven't had problems with an upset tummy. Possibly they don't suit all dogs. All my dogs in the past have had them without problems. Always buy decent looking ones and give them a good wash and then peel them.  :blink:

Offline Joules

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12098
  • Gender: Female
Re: Carrots for your dogs
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 07:57:29 PM »
I haven't had problems with an upset tummy. Possibly they don't suit all dogs. All my dogs in the past have had them without problems. Always buy decent looking ones and give them a good wash and then peel them.  :blink: 

I agree - may just be that they don't suit some dogs although I have never heard of it.

You are obviously much posher than me - I never peel them for Coco, or even wash them very much either  ph34r :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline linda c

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1183
  • Gender: Female
Re: Carrots for your dogs
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 08:09:42 PM »
 Blue would probably eat them if I didn't do it, but have always done it  :005:

We did have a springer that used to dig them up over the fields where 2 horses were tethered :blink:

Didn't make any difference to her :005: