Author Topic: Royal Canin Med Jnr - producing 4/5 large poos a day - is this excessive?  (Read 2996 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Geordietyke

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5228
  • Gender: Female
Apols in advance for subject so early in the day  :lol2:

Archie is currently on 190g of Royal Canin Junior Medium a day split over 3 meals.

He is producing big piles of poo (usually 4, sometimes 5) a day.  As he is still pooing in the house a lot, it can get messy  ph34r

It seems a rather excessive amount of pooing if you ask me for a 16 week old pup!

I was planning on keeping him on RC as he devours it but I may change it when I swap him over to adult food in the future. 

I realise all dogs are different and apart from RAW fed dogs, which food seems to produces small amounts of poo?
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline HBP

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1087
  • Gender: Female
  • Hudson Bramble
Re: Royal Canin Med Jnr - producing 4/5 large poos a day - is this excessive?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 08:10:45 AM »
When Hudson was eating Beta, he did 6/7 poos a day and at least 2 in the night!! :o We're on RC now and he does 2-3 a day firm ones a day  :005: ... I guess each pup is different so it could be a trial and error thing unfortunately. I heard good things about applaws and was thinking of changing to that once H is bigger.

Offline Geordietyke

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5228
  • Gender: Female
Re: Royal Canin Med Jnr - producing 4/5 large poos a day - is this excessive?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 08:23:38 AM »
Clearly each dog processes the food differently!  His poos have been nice and firm until around a week or so ago, not sure why it's changed, he can't be teething at 16 weeks old surely.

My Odie was on JWB and that worked well for him so I may try that again as I've got a small bag left from the summer (although he's not being changed to adult till around 6 months old).
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Jane57

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4056
  • Gender: Female
  • Riley
Re: Royal Canin Med Jnr - producing 4/5 large poos a day - is this excessive?
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 08:40:27 AM »
That is a a lot of erm poo!  Riley was on beta when he came to us then JWB then I moved him to eden.
He has 2 poos each day. If he has 2 morning ones then thats it, if he has one morning one I get bet he will have one more after dinner .

Why dont  you look at the site www.whichdogfood.co.uk 
It has a lot of information about the good and bad in dog foods.

Offline elaine.e

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 11029
  • Gender: Female
  • Sweet William
Re: Royal Canin Med Jnr - producing 4/5 large poos a day - is this excessive?
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 08:43:42 AM »
I'm a raw feeder but used to feed kibble and when I did I found that William and Louis did better in terms of coat, skin etc. and produced less poo when on a kibble that contained higher amounts of good quality meat or fish and lower levels of grains (wheat, rice, oats, corn etc.) and fillers such as beet pulp. Dogs don't digest carbohydrates very efficiently so a lot of what goes in comes back out again! Same with fillers. All they do is bulk out the food and pretty much pass straight through.

Offline Geordietyke

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5228
  • Gender: Female
Re: Royal Canin Med Jnr - producing 4/5 large poos a day - is this excessive?
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 09:10:33 AM »
OK, so for example, which kibbles, in your option Elaine, meet that standard?  (I'm rubbish with deciding which ingredients are good and not so good  :shades: :lol2:)
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline twiceover2

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1674
  • Gender: Female
Re: Royal Canin Med Jnr - producing 4/5 large poos a day - is this excessive?
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 09:56:46 AM »
I raw feed too but if I had to use a kibble it would be Taste of The Wild.  We tried a lot of different ones with Pippa until we reached poo perfection with TOTW producing just two firm stools a day  :lol2:

Offline Geordietyke

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5228
  • Gender: Female
Re: Royal Canin Med Jnr - producing 4/5 large poos a day - is this excessive?
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 09:59:41 AM »
Oh WOW  :o  only 2!!  That would be a dream  :lol2:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline elaine.e

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 11029
  • Gender: Female
  • Sweet William
Re: Royal Canin Med Jnr - producing 4/5 large poos a day - is this excessive?
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 09:59:59 AM »
OK, so for example, which kibbles, in your option Elaine, meet that standard?  (I'm rubbish with deciding which ingredients are good and not so good  :shades: :lol2:)

Difficult to say as I haven't fed kibble for about 4 years and there are a lot of new ones out there since then. But if I was looking to feed kibble nowadays I think I'd be looking at kibbles such as Acana (just to name one, I've never used it) because it seems to contain good quality ingredients. This link shows the ingredients and there's nothing vague on the list such as meat derivatives or cereal derivatives. If those are listed you have no way of knowing which meat or which cereals are in the product. They might be ones that are good for your dog or they might not be http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0755/acana-puppy-and-junior

When William was kibble fed he did better on Burns than on JWB and definitely better than when he was on Arden Grange and became overweight, itchy and smelly :005:. Personally I wouldn't feed any of them now as I'd want to look at grain free or very low grain, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here whose dogs thrive on them, whereas mine didn't. So as well as selecting a food it's also a case of finding the one that suits your dog, which is trial and error unfortunately.

Maybe you could start a new thread asking specifically for kibble recommendations and why people feed what they do?

Offline Geordietyke

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5228
  • Gender: Female
Re: Royal Canin Med Jnr - producing 4/5 large poos a day - is this excessive?
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 10:04:52 AM »
OK, thanks for that Elaine.

Will start a new thread (it's funny how most of my threads involve bodily functions in some way  ph34r :005:)
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Archie bean

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3627
  • Gender: Female
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Royal Canin Med Jnr - producing 4/5 large poos a day - is this excessive?
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 10:47:17 AM »
I would definitely have a good read of the which dog food site. They explain all about the ingredients and rate the foods. The kibbles that come out on top are things like Eden and  I think there was a kibble recommendations post quite recently, I'll try to find it.
My Archie was on RC mixed with nature diet when he was small. He did about 4 poos a day on that. I changed to JWB and there were fewer poos but they were VERY sloppy so I switched back.  He was however, slightly less hyper on the JWB.  I have since realised that turkey affects his behaviour in a negative way (hyper  >:D) and I think that is the meat ingredient of the RC. He is now wet fed (wainwrights trays) and does one poo a day - very occasionally two.

Offline Geordietyke

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5228
  • Gender: Female
Re: Royal Canin Med Jnr - producing 4/5 large poos a day - is this excessive?
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 11:01:46 AM »
Wow, 1 poo daily, even better!  Will read that site and await some suggestions.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Silver

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 59
  • Gender: Female
  • Merlin
Re: Royal Canin Med Jnr - producing 4/5 large poos a day - is this excessive?
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 11:06:43 PM »
I can't remember how many poos Merlin had per day as a puppy, but he was on the same food (Royal Canin Medium Junior) until he was nearly a year old. He did very well on it and looked very healthy and the ingredients are a decent quality. However the adult food is just as expensive and has pretty poor ingredients, so it is worth looking for something better value when he approaches one year old.

Offline supergirl

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4814
  • Wonderful Indie
Re: Royal Canin Med Jnr - producing 4/5 large poos a day - is this excessive?
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 11:57:17 PM »
One of the problems I had with Roly was related to food. He was on Burns puppy and while it was a good puppy food it was ultimately too easily digested by him, and was the major cause of him not being able to sleep through the night.  I had to get up every night about 3am to major howling as he needed to go out.  As soon as I changed his food the problem seemed to resolve itself.  He went onto JWB fish puppy food and was great. When he was a bit older 6 months, I switched to JWB junior and the problem started again. Then I changed to Arden Grange lamb & rice and he was better again.  That combined with a raw evening meal seems to be the best combination for him.

 Just recently I was given quite a lot of Royal Canin as part of a feeding trial, started off ok but then gradually his poos became worse, so we're back onto Arden Grange, as it seems to be the food that best suits him.  The girls seem to be able to eat anything without any problems and they never seem to have any problems with food.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Geordietyke

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5228
  • Gender: Female
Re: Royal Canin Med Jnr - producing 4/5 large poos a day - is this excessive?
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 07:24:06 AM »
Thanks for that.  He is still producing mammoth proportions and sometimes very sloppy (and not due to him being exercised) so when I've nearly finished this puppy bag, I'm going to change him over to a different brand adult food. 
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!