Author Topic: Crying when happy and constant biting  (Read 1558 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mircass

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 86
  • Gender: Female
Crying when happy and constant biting
« on: December 09, 2013, 12:47:10 PM »
Does anyone else's puppy constantly cry?  Ralph (9 weeks old) cries when he's eating a dinner he really likes, when he's happily chewing his pig ear, when he wants to come up on the sofa, when he's hungry (almost all the time!) as well as when he wants to go to another room or go out.  It's the same type of whining for all.  He doesn't bark very often so he's not particularly vocal in that respect. We ignore him when he cries or I 'shush' him when it's a demanding cry, and he doesn't cry when left alone at night. Is this normal?  I've never had a pup like this!

Also he's turned into a proper biting machine.  I expected it (so glad I found this forum) but it's constant nipping not just the occasional and he hardly ever licks us - probably 50 bites to one lick!  I'm doing the suggested actions and I know it's getting through to him that the hard biting has to stop but the nipping is harder to deal with.  I'd end up never petting him unless he was asleep if I had to turn away every time he bit me!  He's got plenty of chew stuff and I'm constantly swapping my hand/jumper/ear for his hoof, pig ear, pizzle.  Is it a stage that all cockers go through?  I've never met an adult cocker (or any type of spaniel) that was a biter or had to be muzzled.  What I'm wondering is, do I have to really get on top of teaching him not to bite or will he grow out of this phase naturally anyway so just general teaching of no over-excited or hard biting will do?  
Thoroughly enjoying my first cocker dog.

Offline Helly D

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 359
Re: Crying when happy and constant biting
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 04:57:11 PM »
A lot of cockers are very vocal. One of mine wasn't but our last one was, especially as a pup where she sounded like Dino from the Flintstones. At training classes I had to try and distract her with sits and downs while the trainer focused on other pups as she was so distracting to everyone else. She did gradually grow out of it although she had an amazing range of warbles and yodels until she got old.

Cocker pups are also renowned for biting and nipping and it is a phase they all seem to go through. Someone conjured up the phrase 'cockerdile' which just about sums them up. Just do what you're doing with offering things that are acceptable to chew on and walk away when you are getting bitten. Some people do 'time out' for a short while in another room just to allow the pup to calm down and realise if he bites he won't get any attention. Pups need to learn 'bite inhibition' so they realise they can mouth your hand but not cause pain. Our old cocker used to love taking our hands in his mouth but once he'd grown out of the puppy biting stage he never once hurt us. It's a phase they usually grow out of eventually.

Offline williamsmum

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 627
  • Gender: Female
Re: Crying when happy and constant biting
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 05:27:47 PM »
William is a whiner, which has got worse as he has gotten older. He whines all the time - to go out, to come in, for his food, for anything, in fact. It drives me up the wall sometimes, but as he is nearly eleven I know that I shouldn't moan too much, because one day I will be missing his little whine so much.

Offline MIN

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4677
  • Gender: Female
  • GEMMA
Re: Crying when happy and constant biting
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 06:27:42 PM »
not a cocker, but staffy poppy whines and winges all the time. the only time she stops is when she is asleep and changes into snoring mode  :huh:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

                            ----

Offline linda c

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1183
  • Gender: Female
Re: Crying when happy and constant biting
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 07:02:57 PM »
Sounds like you're doing a lot of the right things, just persevere :blink: When our boy was a puppy and he started biting OH would say loudly Ow!!! NO then walked away, he soon learnt not to do it.
I must have been lucky  :lol2: never had one that whined or cried all the time so can't give you any advice just stick with it, he should get better as he gets older :blink:

Offline HBP

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1087
  • Gender: Female
  • Hudson Bramble
Re: Crying when happy and constant biting
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 08:25:12 AM »
If the biting is a hundred times worse than you could possibly imagine then it's totally normal!!  :005: Just do the usual things and be consistent. I think you need to make an effort to stop him (as you are doing) so he learns its not acceptable behaviour. But obviously they do it so much, it's hard to correct every single time!! Mine still bites at 5 months as he is teething now, but it is a world away from his puppy biting (doesn't draw blood anymore for a start!)

Not sure about the crying, Hudson is a bit of a whiner but he doesn't do it when he's happy  :005: Perhaps he'll grow out of it xx

Offline Murphys Law

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1523
  • Gender: Male
Re: Crying when happy and constant biting
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 09:03:18 AM »
Murphy (5 months) still likes to bite but not hands or any other part of you. It is just shoes, pants and dressing gowns.

Also he is very good during the day but seems to have a bad spell every evening before he literally crashes out at 8.30pm. Still can't work that one out yet.

Offline Geordietyke

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5228
  • Gender: Female
Re: Crying when happy and constant biting
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 09:28:35 AM »
Archie is 4.5 months old and biting terribly at the minute, he also is teething and I do all the usual things recommended.  They do calm down as they get older if you're consistent (I remember my Odie hanging off my trousers and wrecking numerous pairs, Archie isn't quite as bad!) 

BTW, Archie whines and 'moans'  :shades: when he is cleaning his boy bits  :lol2: ph34r
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Mudmagnets

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8409
  • Gender: Female
Re: Crying when happy and constant biting
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 10:12:20 AM »
Archie is 4.5 months old and biting terribly at the minute, he also is teething and I do all the usual things recommended.  They do calm down as they get older if you're consistent (I remember my Odie hanging off my trousers and wrecking numerous pairs, Archie isn't quite as bad!) 

BTW, Archie whines and 'moans'  :shades: when he is cleaning his boy bits  :lol2: ph34r
[/color]

He is probably enjoying the experience  ;)  :021:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22, and Minstrel 24/6/13 - 13/8/24 all now at the Bridge.

Offline Geordietyke

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5228
  • Gender: Female
Re: Crying when happy and constant biting
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 10:29:38 AM »
A little too much in my opinion  :shades: :lol2:  At least he isn't humping yet....

I think cockers are well known for their cute and funny little noises  :luv:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Mircass

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 86
  • Gender: Female
Re: Crying when happy and constant biting
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 10:15:28 AM »
Thought I'd finish this thread by mentioning Ralph's biting has calmed down hugely since I found out he wasn't getting enough food.  I took the advice given on the thread below; he's really behaving himself now, only when it's time for dinner or a sleep does the biting start up again.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=108687.0

The constant 'talking' is still going on though...... :D

Thoroughly enjoying my first cocker dog.

Offline Mudmagnets

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8409
  • Gender: Female
Re: Crying when happy and constant biting
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 11:20:39 AM »
Glad to read he is a happier little chap now  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22, and Minstrel 24/6/13 - 13/8/24 all now at the Bridge.