Author Topic: Diet causing upset stomach?  (Read 4334 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Lottielove

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 419
  • Gender: Female
Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 12:46:56 PM »
I will keep her on fish and rice for a few days and take it from there.

Offline Lottielove

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 419
  • Gender: Female
Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 07:35:49 PM »
So obviously she didn't eat the fish and rice!

Offline linda c

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1183
  • Gender: Female
Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 09:03:58 PM »
Oh dear, never had one that wouldn't eat fish  :huh:
Is she a slim dog or carrying a bit of weight? How many times a day do you try to feed her?
My vet used to say they will eat if they're hungry and won't starve themselves.
Wonder if it's worth leaving the dish of food down for 20 minutes if she won't eat it pick it up and cover, then try putting it back down later. If she's eating the scrambled egg she's hungry, makes you wonder if she's just being fussy.
Sounds like she'll probably be better on a soft food, but what?
Running out of ideas !!!
Anyone else have any suggestions?  :-\

Offline Lottielove

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 419
  • Gender: Female
Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 09:12:54 PM »
She's slim, on the bottom of an OK weight according to the vet. Not underweight.
I think she had a nibble of the fish but most/all of it was still there, I left it a couple of hours then threw it away. Perhaps it was TOO bland? Wonder what I could add to it to make it more appetising. I will make her scrambled egg again in the morning so that she's definitely eating something. I feed her morning and evening which is what her foster carer told me she did. However I can guarantee her foster carer didn't make her scrambled egg every day with a toddler and 4 other dogs, so I'm pretty sure she's just being fussy. Her elderly owner previously may well have catered to her with a largely human diet though.
Honestly, I don't even make scrambled eggs for my children on a school morning!

Offline linda c

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1183
  • Gender: Female
Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 09:25:44 PM »
Think you may be right !!!! We'd try one thing for a few days and he would eat it ok, then he wouldn't so we'd try something else, same thing would happen  >:D . that's when the vet said to leave it for a while, pick it up and try again, eventually he just ate the normal food.
What a lot we do for our furry friends !!!
Tuna fish shouldn't upset her and it smells a bit, might encourage her. Try mixing some in with the scrambled egg?
If she was used to having what her elderly owner had no wonder she's turning her nose up at dog food :lol2:
You might have a long job on your hands  but you'll get there eventually   :blink:

Offline Lottielove

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 419
  • Gender: Female
Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 09:34:02 PM »
Thanks.  :blink:
I reckon she's angling for steak.

Offline linda c

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1183
  • Gender: Female
Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 09:44:29 PM »
Don't even go there  :005: Got a friend with a blue roan that will only eat the very best, costs them a small fortune  :D

Offline Lottielove

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 419
  • Gender: Female
Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 10:12:38 PM »
Don't worry, we can't afford to eat steak, there's no way she's getting it! I can run to a few eggs though.

Offline carol pearson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 276
Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 05:12:21 PM »
If you want to try and carry on with the fish you could add cooked sweet potato.
 
Ozzy has a sensitive stomach and had been on this for a while, although I have just tried him with a bit of venison from Morrison's and fingers crossed he has been fine.
Lilly's Kitchen do cans of venison and rabbit and I am thinking of try that.

Hope you get him sorted.x

Offline Lottielove

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 419
  • Gender: Female
Re: Diet causing upset stomach?
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2013, 05:20:39 PM »
I did try her for two more days on the fish and she left it both days, so have given up on that for now. At the moment she is eating some of the JWB kibble though so all is not lost. We went out to a national trust place on sunday and she ate most of DH's roast pork so we know what she'd prefer!