Author Topic: 6 hours to go... first car trip?  (Read 2302 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline saz_liz

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • First time owner!
6 hours to go... first car trip?
« on: December 11, 2013, 12:48:37 PM »
Hello!
I am picking up my working cocker spaniel pup in 6 short hours! Its something I have been loooking forward to for so long!

My parter and I have had eveyrthing ready, sorted out the longest shopping list of puppy necessities, and organised about 5 weeks of holiday over Christmas between us to get him settled in!

My biggest query at the moment is about actually getting him home! We have a crate, but its far too big for the car, so we cant use it. We have a harness, but I am not sure if he would appreciate being put into  it for the first time straight away (it would be nice to get him used to his harness and collar slowly!)

Should I literally just hold him on my lap with a towel and puppy pad, for accidents? I'm a bit worries he might try and wiggle or move a bit, and be an issue while OH is driving.

Would appreciate any advice people have from their experiences!

Thanks!

Offline Geordietyke

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5228
  • Gender: Female
Re: 6 hours to go... first car trip?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 12:54:45 PM »
Our car journey back with Archie took us 4.5 hours.  I had a cardboard box lined with pads and towels in the footwell but he ended up sleeping on my lap the entire time!  We stopped for a wee break (using pads on the ground) but he didn't go.  He was an absolute star, it's just strange that he has grown to dislike car travel (he's now 18 weeks old)  :-\

Exciting time for you, hope it all goes well. 
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline lescef

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1113
  • Gender: Female
Re: 6 hours to go... first car trip?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 01:47:25 PM »
We brought ours home each time (a two hour journey) in a rigid side box lined with a towel and the toy we had taken previously on our puppy visit. I sat next to the box in case the were escape artists, but they both slept for most of the journey.  I think a harness would be too big and maybe a bit overwhelming for the pup.
Enjoy!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline ElaineH

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1801
  • Gender: Female
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
Re: 6 hours to go... first car trip?
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 02:10:37 PM »
When we brought Morgan home OH drove and I sat in the back with our puppy on my lap with a towel just in case  ;)

We also had a cat basket strapped onto the seat and when he got tired Morgan was very happy to snuggle down in there with the blanket the breeder gave him which smelled of mum and littermates. I'm sure a cardboard box would be just as good.

What exciting times ahead for you, enjoy your puppy  :luv:
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Walshies

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 777
  • Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
Re: 6 hours to go... first car trip?
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 02:24:29 PM »
Picked Fudge up from Okehampton in Devon to take him back to Mid Wales. We had him in the back of the car in a small comfy crate but he howled all the way to Taunton Services where we could take no more. He was clearly not happy at being taken away from his Mum plus his brothers and sisters. My wife had him on her lap for a short while and he was fine after that - plonked him back in the crate and he slept the rest of the way home. He has been as good as gold ever since and that was October last year.

Best of luck with your little chap - have you got the kitchen roll & wine ready??
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline saz_liz

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • First time owner!
Re: 6 hours to go... first car trip?
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 03:00:41 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences! We are luckily 20 minutes away from our breeder, so I will hold him on my lap as its a short trip. At least I am prepared for some 'sad puppy' noises on the way!

I haev mulled wine, miles of kitchen roll, and a 2m square of lino under the puppy pen. I'm ready for this! ]

3 hours to go... its sheer will power that is making me concentrate on work today!

Offline lynnruby

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1632
  • Gender: Female
  • Ruby
Re: 6 hours to go... first car trip?
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 03:42:06 PM »
Ruby came home in a cat basket (lined with a blanket and puppy pad) on the back seat.  OH drove and I sat in the back with her, she didn't make a sound all the way home (about 1.5 hours journey)  I think she was stunned into silence bless her  :luv:

I was so excited, that I didn't sleep at all the night before  :lol2:  Good Luck with your new baby  :luv: Not long to go now  :banana:
Lynn

Offline tenaille

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 549
Re: 6 hours to go... first car trip?
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 04:37:21 PM »
We spent the 2 hour car journey arguing over who had to drive and who had him on their lap, I lost of course !!

Offline williamsmum

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 627
  • Gender: Female
Re: 6 hours to go... first car trip?
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 04:43:04 PM »
I use the lap and towel method, mainly because I feel so sorry for the youngster, being taken away from its mum and possibly siblings too.  :luv: Good luck with your baby - sounds as if you are well prepared. I have a three day journey coming up in a few days with my three - Bulgaria to UK by road. NOT looking forward to it either!

Offline saz_liz

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • First time owner!
Re: 6 hours to go... first car trip?
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 05:27:12 PM »
I barely slept last night too! Finally on our way, so excited!  Aw, my OH is prob going to drive as he knows the way better.  More cuddles for me!  ;)

Offline williamsmum

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 627
  • Gender: Female
Re: 6 hours to go... first car trip?
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 06:04:29 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline saz_liz

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • First time owner!
Re: 6 hours to go... first car trip?
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 08:26:36 PM »
We have Ludo home!   :luv:

He was absolutely angelic in the car. First he tried to climb up me, to get a better view out of the window and of the OH. Then he sat in my lap and played with the towel (chewing and pawing it). Then he fell asleep with his head across my arm for the rest of the trip.

He did a massive wee as soon as we put him down in the garden, played for a bit, handsome dinner, and has fallen asleep.

Now having a debate about the OH about night time arrangements...

Offline Archie bean

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3627
  • Gender: Female
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: 6 hours to go... first car trip?
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 08:47:35 PM »
We have Ludo home!   :luv:

He was absolutely angelic in the car. First he tried to climb up me, to get a better view out of the window and of the OH. Then he sat in my lap and played with the towel (chewing and pawing it). Then he fell asleep with his head across my arm for the rest of the trip.

He did a massive wee as soon as we put him down in the garden, played for a bit, handsome dinner, and has fallen asleep.

Now having a debate about the OH about night time arrangements...


Sounds like a superstar. Piccies please!  ;)
Oh, and don't fall into the "he can sleep in our room just for the first couple of nights until he's settled" trap. Archie has been settling in now for over two years!  :005:

Offline MIN

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4677
  • Gender: Female
  • GEMMA
Re: 6 hours to go... first car trip?
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 08:59:33 PM »
just wishing  Ludo much happiness in his new home. Oh and hope you sort out the sleeping arrangements  :005:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

                            ----

Offline saz_liz

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • First time owner!
Re: 6 hours to go... first car trip?
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 09:09:41 PM »
Thanks so much everyone! Need to read upon how to upload pics to the forum, then will put some up.

I am going for the. "Sleep in crate, door open til he is used to it, and he can use the pads in his pen" approach tonight times... We shall see!

He is the most adorable bundle of cuteness I have ever seen!