Author Topic: nail clipping  (Read 798 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline mitches

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 185
  • Gender: Female
nail clipping
« on: December 15, 2013, 11:33:41 AM »
Should I clip my puppies toe nails, and do I use normal nail clippers?
She is 9 weeks old, think the breeder did it once.

Offline JamiesGirl

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 696
  • Gender: Female
Re: nail clipping
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 11:56:40 AM »
You can get proper dog nail clippers from pet stores like Pets at Home. i have ones like these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/330641823861?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95&ff19=0

I got Jamie's previous owner to show me how to do them before i had a go though - might be worth asking your vet or groomer to show you where the quick is so you don't cut too short. i think pets at home offers a nail clipping service for £15 and groomers are around £10 - £15 too.
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline Mudmagnets

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8409
  • Gender: Female
Re: nail clipping
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 02:20:09 PM »
I had a vet nurse who does private work (daughter of a friend) came to do Minstrel's because they were very long and I knew if I attempted it he would wriggle - making me nervous and likely to hurt him, which could well put him off.

The lady charged me £8 which I thought was good - for Minstrel's comfort :luv: and my peace of mind ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22, and Minstrel 24/6/13 - 13/8/24 all now at the Bridge.

Offline Jane57

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4056
  • Gender: Female
  • Riley
Re: nail clipping
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 04:17:01 PM »
Our pets at home cut them for £7 or £8 , I took Riley but they told me he was fine and didnt need them.
Lots of scraping on pavements help  :005:
I do trim his dew claw with clippers from groomers online.

Offline HBP

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1087
  • Gender: Female
  • Hudson Bramble
Re: nail clipping
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 04:35:40 PM »
How often do you all trim? Hudson's are starting to feel quite sharp now (when he jumps up... >:( ) His nails are black though so don't think I can cut them myself.

Offline JamiesGirl

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 696
  • Gender: Female
Re: nail clipping
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 04:39:22 PM »
about once every two weeks - but i rarely walk on pavements, its only a short part of our daily walks that are on pavement the rest is fields.
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline linda c

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1183
  • Gender: Female
Re: nail clipping
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 04:43:49 PM »
If you're very careful and just take the tips off every 2-3 weeks it makes it easier. Blue nails are all black so that's what I do. If you walk on hard surfaces a lot it should keep them down. If they've got dew claws make sure they're done as well as they'll curl round and make it harder to trim them.

Offline Jane57

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4056
  • Gender: Female
  • Riley
Re: nail clipping
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 04:50:38 PM »
Ive never had to cut Rileys actual toe nails  :o
The groomer did them but he hasnt been to her in a year so pavement walks have worn them.

Offline mitches

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 185
  • Gender: Female
Re: nail clipping
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 08:39:25 PM »
Thanks will attempt to clip the tips. Should be ok once shes allowed on the pavements :)